Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
Water in Shower is a fine drizzle

I own a 34' 1985 Limited with queen bed in back. The shower began running fine and then went to a fine drizzle, like I lost water pressure. The kitchen, bathroom, toilet, etc, has fine water pressure, warm and cold. The shower on the other hand does not. I'm using my holding tank water, not a direct water source from hose. Can anyone help me figure this out. Is there a valve or something that may be turned off half way or something? Please advise.

Thanks.

Tim Eagle
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
St James City , Florida
Tim, May be some dirt in your shower head. Remove it and backflush.
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I haven't had problems with my shower pressure (however, I seldom use it) but I have had problems with the bathroom sink. It turned out to be a plugged screen in the faucet. I don't know if there is a screen in the shower faucet but the shower head could be plugged. I'd take off the head and see if the pressure is there. If it is OK without the head you might have to replace the shower head since some of them can't be dis-assembled.

Gene
Old 06-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi tmeagle1--If your shower head is clogged with calcium buildup, soak it in CLR, or Limeaway (available at hardware, grocery, and big box home stores). May also need a little tooth pick poking to finish the job.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Water Pressure

Thanks, I will try all of your advise this weekend. We are using the airstream to live on weekends at a summer home and for camping. I appreciate all the fast responses. Thanks again.

Tim Eagle
http://www.croswellmich.com (portal of horror)
Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Agree that CLR works great ,it totally cleaned and renewed my original
shower head in my 60 trdwnd .I really like the hot shower !! ,Its only 5 min
but really effective in freshining up.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tim. I soak my shower head in vinigar about once a year and clean the filter, which is located at the end of the hose where it attatches to the shower head. Good luck
Old 07-01-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Tim,
If you have cleaned out the shower head and still find no pressure try removing the valve at the base of your shower hose. This valve is installed to prevent the backflow of water through your shower hose, such if you accidentally drop it into the toilet. This is a nice feature for a home plumbing system but really not needed in an RV and can become plugged.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
and the water saver button on the shower head isn't halfway off?

john
Old 07-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
It was the obvious

There was a water saver button on it, it was turned off. Thank everyone for posting here. I guess I'm still getting used to this year airstream. My 1972 was quite different, plus three feet shorter, this airstream has all the modern conveniences. Thanks again to everyone.

Tim Eagle
Old 07-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hey ya gotta love the cheap fixes!

john
Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Water heater flush

One more tidbit of info. It is a good idea to buy one of those water wands they sell at Camping World. It looks like a small rigid plastic hose with an angle on the end and the other side connects you your water hose. After a few trips, drain the water tank and then stick the wand into the opening. Turn the hose on and you will be surprised at all the loose scale that comes out of the opening. This is the kind of stuff that goes through your system and plugs the faucet screens up. It sure has worked for me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I just installed on of the "Oxygenator" shower heads from camping world-very pleased. Shower is much better now!
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I just installed on of the "Oxygenator" ...
Wasn't that a Schwarzenegger movie? You know, the one where he sucks all the air out of California.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi tmeagle1--If your shower head is clogged with calcium buildup, soak it in CLR, or Limeaway (available at hardware, grocery, and big box home stores). May also need a little tooth pick poking to finish the job.--Frank S
Last year, I had low pressure in the shower so I replaced the shower head and poured some CLR down the hose ("backflushed") and pressure got a little better. Shower still does not match the pressure at all other fixtures. So I got to thinking; there must still be build up at the other side of the shower valve (intake side), maybe the CLR can help that also. If I use my water heater bypass (the same method I would use to put anti-freeze in the system) to draw some CLR into the plumbing, and only turn on the shower. should this work (to get some CLR into the other side of the shower valve)? Can CLR damage any of the PVC plumbing if I rinse after 5 minutes?

Thanx, Bill
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Last year, I had low pressure in the shower so I replaced the shower head and poured some CLR down the hose ("backflushed") and pressure got a little better. Shower still does not match the pressure at all other fixtures. So I got to thinking; there must still be build up at the other side of the shower valve (intake side), maybe the CLR can help that also. If I use my water heater bypass (the same method I would use to put anti-freeze in the system) to draw some CLR into the plumbing, and only turn on the shower. should this work (to get some CLR into the other side of the shower valve)? Can CLR damage any of the PVC plumbing if I rinse after 5 minutes?

Thanx, Bill
Any takers on my hair-brained idea?
Will the CLR help clean up the shower valve?
Can CLR do any damage to PVC plumbing?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Tim,
If you have cleaned out the shower head and still find no pressure try removing the valve at the base of your shower hose. This valve is installed to prevent the backflow of water through your shower hose, such if you accidentally drop it into the toilet. This is a nice feature for a home plumbing system but really not needed in an RV and can become plugged.
I haven't heard the Chaplain around in a while...has anyone tried this? When I pull off the hose, there is a clear hexagon fitting that I cannot seem to remove...is this the anti-backflow? How to remove?

What about the procedure in the manual to adjust the hot/cold flow with a long allen wrench? I tried tonight but do not have one long enough, I will get one tomorrow-but did this adjustment help increase pressure?

Any other ideas to increase shower pressure?
Everything else is fine...

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Any takers on my hair-brained idea?
Will the CLR help clean up the shower valve?
Can CLR do any damage to PVC plumbing?

Thanx, Bill
Thought about this on my Silver Streak. But reading the C-L-R directions caused me to drop it. Figured I could buy gallons of vinegar and try it, but haven't yet.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Assuming you do not just have a material build up in the shower head itself (or any fitting screen)...If you can find a 3/8 or 1/4 plumbing snake without an expanded head, you can run at least some of the pipe to see if there is concretation or some other obstruction. You may also try loosening a fitting a the pump or at the heater and just blowing the pipe down with air. You should be able to figure out if there is an obstruction real fast with 60 Lb or so of air blasting through.

Old plumbing that is never sanitized may be obstructed with mold (black slime). If that is the case I would replace the pipe, though the mold can be removed by air blasting or snaking, then repeated flushing with very hot water (scalding hot---careful!).

The most likely problem is just grit or lime build up. Those can be dealt with by flushing the system thoroughly and be careful about heaters etc. if you treat with acids.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote