Old 03-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi tmeagle1--If your shower head is clogged with calcium buildup, soak it in CLR, or Limeaway (available at hardware, grocery, and big box home stores). May also need a little tooth pick poking to finish the job.--Frank S
Last year, I had low pressure in the shower so I replaced the shower head and poured some CLR down the hose ("backflushed") and pressure got a little better. Shower still does not match the pressure at all other fixtures. So I got to thinking; there must still be build up at the other side of the shower valve (intake side), maybe the CLR can help that also. If I use my water heater bypass (the same method I would use to put anti-freeze in the system) to draw some CLR into the plumbing, and only turn on the shower. should this work (to get some CLR into the other side of the shower valve)? Can CLR damage any of the PVC plumbing if I rinse after 5 minutes?

Thanx, Bill

Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Last year, I had low pressure in the shower so I replaced the shower head and poured some CLR down the hose ("backflushed") and pressure got a little better. Shower still does not match the pressure at all other fixtures. So I got to thinking; there must still be build up at the other side of the shower valve (intake side), maybe the CLR can help that also. If I use my water heater bypass (the same method I would use to put anti-freeze in the system) to draw some CLR into the plumbing, and only turn on the shower. should this work (to get some CLR into the other side of the shower valve)? Can CLR damage any of the PVC plumbing if I rinse after 5 minutes?

Thanx, Bill
Any takers on my hair-brained idea?
Will the CLR help clean up the shower valve?
Can CLR do any damage to PVC plumbing?

Thanx, Bill

Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Tim,
If you have cleaned out the shower head and still find no pressure try removing the valve at the base of your shower hose. This valve is installed to prevent the backflow of water through your shower hose, such if you accidentally drop it into the toilet. This is a nice feature for a home plumbing system but really not needed in an RV and can become plugged.
I haven't heard the Chaplain around in a while...has anyone tried this? When I pull off the hose, there is a clear hexagon fitting that I cannot seem to remove...is this the anti-backflow? How to remove?

What about the procedure in the manual to adjust the hot/cold flow with a long allen wrench? I tried tonight but do not have one long enough, I will get one tomorrow-but did this adjustment help increase pressure?

Any other ideas to increase shower pressure?
Everything else is fine...

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Any takers on my hair-brained idea?
Will the CLR help clean up the shower valve?
Can CLR do any damage to PVC plumbing?

Thanx, Bill
Thought about this on my Silver Streak. But reading the C-L-R directions caused me to drop it. Figured I could buy gallons of vinegar and try it, but haven't yet.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Assuming you do not just have a material build up in the shower head itself (or any fitting screen)...If you can find a 3/8 or 1/4 plumbing snake without an expanded head, you can run at least some of the pipe to see if there is concretation or some other obstruction. You may also try loosening a fitting a the pump or at the heater and just blowing the pipe down with air. You should be able to figure out if there is an obstruction real fast with 60 Lb or so of air blasting through.

Old plumbing that is never sanitized may be obstructed with mold (black slime). If that is the case I would replace the pipe, though the mold can be removed by air blasting or snaking, then repeated flushing with very hot water (scalding hot---careful!).

The most likely problem is just grit or lime build up. Those can be dealt with by flushing the system thoroughly and be careful about heaters etc. if you treat with acids.