Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2002, 11:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Wanting to replace the WHOLE bathroom...

Hello. My dad just bought a 1974 landyacht. 31'. It's in great original condition but he would like to replace everything in the bathroom. The sink unit, tub, shower doors......ect. We don't really know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have alot of other things to do but we would like to start in the bathroom. Is it still possible to replace the tub and other things I mentioned? I had sent alist to a place called Paul Sherry RV's and the girl sent my list back saying Airstream doesn't make any of the parts I need.
Thanks again.
Lisa (helping dad on this project)
larrylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:30 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Cool Rounded Ends

The trademark rounded ends of an Airstream prevent you from just changing all of the ammenities in the Bathroom.

And it is sad but true, Airstream does not manufacture or sell replacement parts for old vintage Airstreams

I have seen a retrofitted bathroom and I will post the link for your viewing pleasure.

One would have to get very creative in retrofitting.

There are folks on this forum who have removed the whole bathroom and refinished the tub, sink etc... but they replaced everything after refinishing.

The walls are rounded on an Airstream and it is difficult to replace with SOB, (some other brand of RV) equipment.

I will say this, in my opinion, you have chosen the most difficiult area of restoration. You go girl! Good luck.

Here is that link I mentioned,

http://www.marinestove.com/airstream.htm

smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
> Wanting to replace the WHOLE bathroom...

Greetings Lisa!

If the problem with the bathroom fixtures is mainly in color and/or problems with surface blemishes, it isn't necessary to discard and start over again. It isn't even necessary to completely remove any of the fixtures for refinishing (IMHO).

My '64 Overlander was showing its years, and after Arlene Fowler of Fowler Interiors (Symsonia, Kentucky) refurbished the interior it was obvious that the bathroom fixtures needed attention. The new interior color scheme was blue, silver, and white; while the bathroom fixtures were the popular 1960s Avacado Green color. A little (more like months) local research revealed several nearby businesses specializing in refinishing bathroom fixtures - - it took a little talking, but finally was able to get three estimates. A local craftsman took on the job (price of $390.00) and repaired/refinished the tub and its enclosure, the vanity and its wrap-around, and the Thetford Aquamagic toilet in a silver that compliments the trailer's new color scheme. The results were nothing short of fantastic, and it was one of the least costly major restoration projects on the coach.

The image above is one of several depicting both the before and after that are posted at AirstreamPhotos.com.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Smile Thanks

Kevin, I'll have to look into that. Whats' there now is in great condition with exception of a small hairline crack in the tub. The actual "look" is what we are trying to fix. We would like to keep the retro look but not so dull looking. So in your case did they just go over what was already there? Did they do the walls and everything? Thanks. I'm so glad that I found this site!
Lisa
Old 12-04-2002, 01:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Lisa.
The bath components can be polished. Some rubbing compound and polish, power applied, would make it look new.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wanting to replace the WHOLE bathroom...

RE: Fixture Refinishing

Greetings Lisa

Yes, all fixtures are original to the trailer and there were two hairline cracks in the vanity top and one in the bath tub. The repairs to the surface flaws and imperfections were included in the contract price. All surfaces that were finished in the original Avacado green were refinished as well as the Thetford AquaMagic IV toilet. In addition, my installer is providing his standard 5 Year Satisfaction Guarantee - - it is his opinion that the refinish should provide as many years service as the original due to my seasonal use of the trailer.

To give you an idea of the starting point, here is a photo of the before condition:

This is a link to my photo album if you would like to see more shots of the bathroom refinish:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...er=827&thumb=1

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

bathroom do over

ok, I've tried to post a picture in another thread, but maybe I can get this link to work instead. If it works........it is a picture of my bathroom after I painted the tub, sink, etc with a 2-part epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom2.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	971  
Old 12-04-2002, 02:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Talking yeah, it finally came through

oh what a great day, I tried everything before to get this picture to post! Here is a before picture:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bathroom3.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	973  
Old 12-04-2002, 02:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Lori,

WOW! looks great! I am considering purchasing a second A/S and the bathroom has rust stains too. What brand of epoxy paint did you use? I build cedar strip canoes, and have seen a lot of marine type boat paints in my various catalogs. Did you use one of these?

Unbelievable difference! Good job!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Thank you!

I bought the paint from Sherwin Williams. It comes as a kit. I only needed to buy 1 kit which cost $25. I had to do a LOT of preparation before I could paint. Scrubbing, wet sanding, then wiping the whole thing down with xylene.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Any tips here on how to repair a hairline crack? It is not in the tub, but on a supporting rim next to the shower area.

Thanks,

Jim
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Jim,

if the crack is only a hairline, and not structural, you can probably get by with a gelcoat repair kit available at most marine stores. I use a similar kit on my fiberglass canoes at the end of each season. If the crack is structural-ie. the joint flexes as people step in the tub, etc then the repair may not hold and may pop out. It depends on the damage done underneath. Being only a hairline crack though, you will probably be OK. I have repaired some major gouges on some canoes(to the point that fibergass was exposed 1/4" wide by 3-4" long!) on a flexible canoe with good success. Preparation is everything!!

I am going to investigate the Sherwin Williams system above! Looks great!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:19 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Talking Pictures look great

Lori and Kevin,
Your after photos are FABULOUS! Still not sure what we're going to do. Our "before" tub really isn't stained or anything. Just a dull cream color. Thanks.
Lisa
Old 12-05-2002, 02:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Tripp,

Yes, I know both Kevin's and Lori's baths look very good. Keep us in touch about the Sherwin Williams system. I would like to know more about that too. If I do it myself I would guess that it is not going to be as good as Kevin's professionally done job. But hey, it will look better than what I have.

I am also going to check into Andy's polishing recommendation.

Jim
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
My 77 Sovereign rear bath also just has dull "beige" syndrome...no cracks or damage really. Andy, how aggressive a rubbing compound should be used with an automotive type buffer to polish this stuff? I'd like to give it a try!
JG
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John.
Usually Dupont's "white" compound works fine. Use it to cut, and then come back and polish with most any good automotive paste wax.
Try a small area by hand and that will give you an idea of the effort it will take. It depends on how deep the staining or discoloration is.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 12:08 AM   #17

Andy,

Thanks for this tip, & also for the sticky wall/wax tip.

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 30
Annapolis , Maryland
Painted fixtures

This level paint job was done by PO all over bathroom, including fixtures of my brand new adorable '76 Argosy. Looks like it was maybe alkyd enamel. Any ideas about how to remove this mess and start over?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1424717370794.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	232968   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424717310476.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	232969  

Name:	1424717206674.jpg