Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Redondo Beach , California
Vintage Hand Pump Faucet Trouble

I always like to preface my posts here by saying that I don't own an airstream. But I am the new owner of a 1959 vintage travel trailer, "canned ham" style. This is by far the best forum that I have found though. If you know of some other forum that might be more appropriate or useful, please let me know. Otherwise, I am really thankful for all the help and wisdom here!

Anyway, the faucet over the galley sink is the hand pump style. I have added several gallons of water to the holding tank, and then went into the trailer and started furiously pumping away, - to no avail. But I'm not sure that I know all there is to know about this little gadget? Is there some sort of priming to be done before hand? In general, I'm just not sure if I am using this right, I am not sure the best way to test it, or figure out if it needs to be replaced.

Any advice at all would be appreciated!

tpezzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
1965 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Tony, I worked on my Daughters 1970 Cardinal and had to re-place went to Central Trailer in Albuquerque about year ago around 40 dollars.

65 Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Redondo Beach , California
Thanks for the reply. But I am not sure that I have to replace it yet. I am not really sure if I am using it right. Is it as simple as pushing the lever back and forth, or is there some sort of priming or something that must be done?
tpezzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Pumping back and forth is all that is usually necessary. The seals that allow the "suction" to take place have probable dried out and may have cracked not allowing the pump to create the vacuum to move the water. Best of luck to you on your water system.
Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote