Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Oak Harbor , Ohio
Vintage 3/4 Wet Bath renovation

Our "new" 23' Safari 1972 has the 3/4 wet bath floor plan. One photo shows what the bathroom should look like. The PO gutted and the only piece we have from the bath is the broken sink section (the other photo). Is there a replacement shower pan, if so, where? Can the big hole in the bottom of sink be fixed? I'm thinking we'd be better off designing a new bath for that space. We'd keep the black tank above the floor, but are open to ideas. If you've done a remodel of a similar bath please share what you did and any photos. Any information about where to find replacement parts would be appreciated too! Thanks, Andrea & Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	295509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	295510  

AndiGirl1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The sink and counter is called a "lavaretee" by Airstream. Inland RV in CA did have them a few years ago. Not sure about the shower pan.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I just went through this (similar) headache with my '73. My conclusion is that there are plenty of RV supply places that sell rectangular shower pans, but you will not find any new, off the shelf replacement for your original parts. My recommendation to you would be simply to build something from scratch, using a commercial rectangular pan that is a close-enough fit. That counter top would be easy to recreate with a small metal sink in it.

It may be very tempting to try and create something custom by laying up fiberglass, but having tilted against that windmill myself, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are already an expert at working with fiberglass.

If you have lots of cash, have a custom pan made out of stainless steel. Now this may sound morbid, but here in Houston, somebody on Craigslist is selling (pre-owned) stainless steel autopsy trays that look to my eye like they could be modified to be right slick wetbath shower pan.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Oak Harbor , Ohio
Thanks!

Great information! We will be looking for readily available parts....nothing custom. We are trying to be cost conscious 🤑. We sure appreciate your help!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I built a custom wet bath when I moved the bath over to the side from the back. I went with a composting toilet, which simplified a great deal of the re-plumbing. I picked up a small SS lav sink over here in Ft. Lauderdale at Sailorman that worked out great. Ebay would also be a good resource for used marine gear.

I built in a tub floor with drain, it wasn't all that difficult. First off, use epoxy rather than fiberglass. Much more civilized! Less stench, longer working time, not as susceptible to heat when applying. More $$$, though. Progressive Epoxy has a Basic No-Blush that is half the price of West Marine.

I don't think that you're going to find many off-the-shelf parts for the curvaceous rear end of an Airstream. Getting used parts that would fit leaves you with brittle 45-year-old plastic that will probably break quickly. Whatever you decide to do, just make sure that it's completely sealed off, zero leaks. Many are the posts about bathroom floor rot!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Here is a write-up where someone did a custom "light weight" tiled bath:

http://hofarc.com/the-bathroom/

Some places to try for off-the-shelf shower pans:

http://www.adventurerv.net

http://www.icondirect.com

https://www.trekwood.com/categories/...ts-Surrounds/2

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...luefilter=%3a&

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Parts

I renovated my 75 Airstream with a new bath . All my gutted out parts including the sink and counter top were left behind at place called Rose Cabinetry in Mundelien Il.
He has all the parts you are looking for .
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Oak Harbor , Ohio
Thanks for the info.

Thanks 75BOB for that information. I'm really leaning towards new parts to avoid working with 45 year old brittle plastic. I'd love to see photos of your bathroom remodel. I'm getting lots of inspiration from this forum!