Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Whenever I get a new trailer im gonna go with the Natures Head toilet no dumping yipee i think i just turn the handle..guess its like giving it a stir hehe..then I was wondering if i could use the black tank for addtl gray water or fresh water.
LilNomad
We put a Nature's Head composting toilet in our '71 Tradewind. We use public facilities for bulkier visits, but even then, things will eventually build up.

The original toilet sat on top of the black tank, which was above the bathroom floor. Both had to come out before the Nature's Head went in, so don't count on having the black tank for any other use.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Just an opinion,but when at a campground we use their facilitys when ever possible,even though we might be in a full hookup situation. The trailer faclility are only used at night. I start the black tank with a couple of good flushes and tank deodorizer,digester. Any brand will probably do. We use only ANGEL SOFT tissue because its soft and breaksdown easily.THE EXPENSIVE brands have wet strength and dont breakdown as fast.
I would just say maybe you need to re-potty train everybody,even the adults. The facilitys at a campground will not kill ya. Use the trailer only at night. I will tell ya I drove over the road for 45 yrs and used some pretty nasty facilities all over the eastern half of the US and I'm still alive,with no desieases,well maybe Im a little crazy but arent we all,LOL

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
WOW, didn't expect all this great advise.

So no I don't keep the valve open while hooked up. Not even the Grey. And I do use the grey water to flush out my hoses.

I will try putting water in first and ice cubes as we travel. Our tank is about 15 gallons so it's plenty big enough.

Thanks for all the advise I will try more water and carry a long stick

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Every one has given you good advice. The only thing I haven't seen much mention of is your TP. The only time we had any problem and grew a mountain was when we were using some really soft TP my husband bought. One way to check your TP is to take 2-3 squares with a cup of water in a jar or other container with a tight lid. Shake a couple of times and if the TP breaks up it's a good one to use. If it doesn't break up very much, you shouldn't use it. Soft triple ply is not a good deal in a black tank. Usually if the package says septic system compatable it's okay.

Anne Marie
Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
alright, lets make it real. whatever you load into your black tank is you. its the tacos you had last night tempered with either vodka or colt 45. its eggs. its lettuce. its a 16 oz ribeye or a pound of pulled pork barbecue. its your entire dna concentrated in one very specific place. so it may smell bad? just take a whiff of your underwear tomorrow morning before you go to work. keep in mind the fact that all of those chemicals you put in your black tank are quite simply embalming fluid. is that REALLY what you want right now. fill it to 3/4 full. unload it anywhere you want except for a truck stop parking lot. shower. rinse. repeat. the ants, racoons and opossums will love you for it. s..t is not an alien object. it is the entire history of YOUR digestive tract. think about what is going on down there when you go to bed tonight. this whole deal is completely and totally natural. dont fight it.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
The sink in the bathroom of our 2011 International empties into the black tank so, as well as adding water when you do a number 2, wash your hands afterwards and that adds water to the mix. We've also taken to dumping water from the dish washing bowl into the toilet; not only does it help with the dilution of solids but it also shares the waste water between both waste tanks, essential if (like us) you rarely have a site with a sewer hook up (darn those State and Provincial parks).

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Water in the tank is the correct answer! If you have not been doing that, you may have a build up of waste that has stuck to the inside of the tank and now you get the "mountain" quickly, even if you have water. You may need a good clean out of the black tank. One easy way to clean the "stuck on waste" is to dump a bag of crushed ice in the black tank right before you tow the trailer. The ice will move around in the tank as you travel and knock most "stuck on waste" loose. Good luck!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Is this why there is a hose Bibb next to our toilet? There is also a sprayer ther, which we get, but we don't know what the hose Bibb is. Is that stock? The original owners made some ingenious mods. The hose bibb pipe goes in under the bed and then down, doesn't look factory to us, but w e have no idea what it is for. Is it to battle poop mountain? We figured that was what the sprayer was for. Anyone?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Get use to adding RID-X to your black tank a few times a year - I do when I set it up at home for an extended period with some extra water. Makes everything soft and liquid for the next time I dump. Cheap - little goes a long way - I buy the liquid, the powder kind gives me the creeps sitting there open in storage. Then again, my house is on my own septic tank and we use the stuff all the time to keep things "moving on down the line".

http://www.rid-x.com/index.shtml
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
We've used a 'poop stick' too. Mr. Mod has a strong stomach, so it's his job. I'll tell him to leave water in the tank next time.

Also, I searched for other threads regarding toilet paper. I don't want to buy expensive RV toilet paper. What other brands are suitable?
Is the Costco Kirkland brand ok to use? We have TONS of that!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Heavenly mounds

Call Richard Dreyfuss.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Seriously, Thetford has a spray wand you can buy. It does a very good job. Some 2012 units came equipped with it. You can also make one out of a spray attatchment hose, the kind that come with kitchen faucet.

Dan
Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
ANY toilet paper from ANY store that has "Septic Tank Safe" on the label is safe to use in your camper. A simple test is to places a few squares (unused would be good) is a jar with water, wait 3-4 minutes and shake a little. There should not be any pieces left except a cloud of dissolved paper. That will tell you how fast it breaks down in the tank.

It's the multi ply, pillow quilted, scented stuff that will get you in a bind (so to speak) when doing the flush and drain.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
I don't want to buy expensive RV toilet paper. What other brands are suitable?
Is the Costco Kirkland brand ok to use? We have TONS of that!
Put a sample of the toilet paper in a jar, let it soak a few minutes and shake it up. If it disintegrates, it is fine for the RV.

We buy the cheapest "hecho en Mexico" single-ply rolls at our local supermarket. Dead cheap and it falls apart in water.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote