Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Denver , Colorado
Use LineX/Rino Liner in bathroom/shower???

I have a 1972 Trade Wind and have completly gutted the bathroom. I dont know if I'm streatching it or not, but Im thinking about coating the bathroom in a material like this. Anyone ever done it? It would seem to give a extreamly water proof coating.
coairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coairstream View Post
I have a 1972 Trade Wind and have completly gutted the bathroom. I dont know if I'm streatching it or not, but Im thinking about coating the bathroom in a material like this. Anyone ever done it? It would seem to give a extreamly water proof coating.
That material won't fix any rear end separation the trailer may have, or might have in the future.

I think it would cause more problems if you have to do any rear end sheetmetal work, than it's worth.

Spray cans of auto underseal. work very well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by coairstream View Post
Hi coairstream;
I have remodeled by me, 1973 26' Argosy. Our bathroom is done with similar product called DURABAK in white color. Tough as nails, cleans with damp cloth and my wife loves it because it is easy to keep it clean. So far, no signs of mildew anywhere.
It will not help with rear end separation mentioned by Andy, but that is another issue which has nothing to do with your question. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have seen the bathroom in Boatdoc's trailer and his use of the material in his bath was beyond brilliant.

Not sure what rear end separation has to do with your question, but the material is a great solution for making things water proof. I do not think under coater would hold up nearly as well as the Line X or similar material.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Denver , Colorado
Thanks guys I think I'll go for it. I'll post pics to update the progress. About the rear end seperation I don't have any. Maybe when I said I was streatching it it was taken as seperation but I was talking about my idea. Thanks again. I love this sight!!!
coairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
Can you get it done in any color that you choose?
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy B View Post
Pretty much IIRC Line X has the ability to mix custom colors similar to paint. I have seen red, yellow, black, gray and purple...so far.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy B View Post
Yes - as long as you choose a color that they have.
It does come in various basic colors. I'm not aware of any color matching capabilities. We use it for any high wear areas on the fire engines with great results. This includes the chainsaw compartment with its oil and gasoline spills.
Great stuff in my opinion, but it is HEAVY!
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
Then I say go for it, I wasn't talking about custom colors just something other than what you see in a bed of a truck, i hope you do pictures of the job
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi coairstream;
I have remodeled by me, 1973 26' Argosy. Our bathroom is done with similar product called DURABAK in white color. Tough as nails, cleans with damp cloth and my wife loves it because it is easy to keep it clean. So far, no signs of mildew anywhere.
It will not help with rear end separation mentioned by Andy, but that is another issue which has nothing to do with your question. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Boatdoc,

I am glad to hear that the DURABAK product has worked out well for you. What types of surface materials did you actually end up coating with it? Was it a single or multiple coat application? Do you have photos of how it came out? If I recall correctly you opted for the version of DURABAK that did not contain the rubber particles. Am I remembering correctly?

For those of you just reading this thread DURABAK is available for self installation. Check out the following link for more information:

Durabak Company; Truck Bed, Marine, Boat Ship Industrial & Workplace Non-Skid Coatings.

It is available in quite a few colors too.

Thanks,

Malcolm