Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Kansas City , Kansas
Townsend Porcelain toilet repair.

I have a 66 caravel with a Townsend toilet. The flushing mechanism is in need of repair. The spring on the flapper seal is broken. Does anyone no if there is a replacement and if so how to I go about replacing the spring under to foot pedal. There is also a leak in the bottom of the bowl around the flushing mechanism. I really don't want to replace the toilet as I like the looks of the old one and I'm afraid I will never be able to remove the studs without damaging the holding tank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
toothDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi toothDr, I found one answer for you take a look here. Townsend. Good luck. You may find the parts you need form a sealand toilet. The parts are similar

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
66 Caravel toilet

Refer to the site on Townsend mentioned above. Then look here in the Vintage Forum area. Under Caravel you will find lots of info on this system. Pulling the studs and replacing them is easy and probably necessary. Its also something you can do if you have to reseal the top fitting. If the top of the black tank is not already cracked it will be in the future. You can brace the floor/tank by access thru the closet. Its the flex in the floor around the toilet base that caves in and cracks the tank. You have the best with a 66 Caravel.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Kansas City , Kansas
Thanks for the info. In trying to remove the studs the back stud just turns and I can't remove the nut. I assume that this means that the flange on the black tank is broken. Should I just try and cut the stud off at the base of the nut with a Dremel tool?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
Dr,

Just yesterday I removed the Townsend in my 65 and replaced it with a SeaLand. The water tank was cracked and the seals old and brittle. You are welcome to the misc. bits and pieces (springs?) If they would be of help in your restoration.

When I went to remove the bolts the studs just broke-off (corrosion). The studs were the kind that slip into the flange. Since the flange was in decent shape I did not risk removing it, but was able to put in the new bolts into the old flange and attach the new toilet.
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
toilet repair

I repaired the original toillet in my 65 caravel. It came apart in 3 pieces. Take off the tank, take off the bowl, disconnect the flush rod and you're left with the bottom/valve to tank assembly. You can take your gaskets to a plumbing outlet and match them up and use a wax ring and plumbers putty to plug leaks. I put a shut-off valve on the water supply line, then ran a flex tube to a rubber cork in the hole where the tank used to sit. I blocked off the other inlet hole, and flush using the 1/4 turn shut-off valve., using the foot valve to open the flapper into the tank. I have pictures, but it takes awhile to load them with dial-up, so let me know abuot that! joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Kansas City , Kansas
toilet repair

Stan Z
What model Sealand did you install. I managed to get to the old Townsend off. The seal was in very poor shape and the the lever that flushes the toilet and opens the flapper is shot. I think I will just go ahead and replace the whole thing. The mounting flange and holding tank appear to be in good shape except for a little surface rust. Did your new Sealand mounts line up with the old mounting flange?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
I put in the Sealand Traveler Lite, purchased from vintagetrailersupply.com

I chose the higher version because it was closest to the Townsend (and I'm tall), but others might prefer the low model. It lined up perfectly with my existing floor flange. It came with new bolts which I certainly needed. The only trick was it uses a 1/2 supply line instead of the 3/8 copper line that the my townsend used.

The tall version uses 2 bolts, and has two additional screws at the rear of the base. But since there is nothing except the black tank to screw them into, I skipped that part. It feels secure. I think the four bolt flange that the low version uses might be better?
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Sealand Lite

NIB SEALAND TRAVELER LITE CHINA RV TOILET W/ HARDWARE

Item number: 250365401854

Picture does not show, but the Ebay number works.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #10

1965 17' Caravel
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqin View Post
I repaired the original toillet in my 65 caravel. It came apart in 3 pieces. Take off the tank, take off the bowl, disconnect the flush rod and you're left with the bottom/valve to tank assembly. You can take your gaskets to a plumbing outlet and match them up and use a wax ring and plumbers putty to plug leaks. I put a shut-off valve on the water supply line, then ran a flex tube to a rubber cork in the hole where the tank used to sit. I blocked off the other inlet hole, and flush using the 1/4 turn shut-off valve., using the foot valve to open the flapper into the tank. I have pictures, but it takes awhile to load them with dial-up, so let me know abuot that! joe q
Joquin:

I just purchased a '65 Caravel and I'm very interested in how you fixed your toilet. Could you please upload those pics? or send to me. I'm new to this. My flapper came off in my hand and I think the previous owner flushed with a bucket of water . . . I'm currently trying to restore the fresh water system and the toilet needs some serious attention. I think I found the original water pressure regulator in drawer. The copper pipe has pieces replace with automotive rubber hoses. I'm going to replace it all, probably with PVC. Any thoughts?
dbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
65 caravel toilet

sounds like you have a decision to make! I think once the flapper goes, you don't have a pot to poop in anymore! I bought a slightly "used" thetford aquamagic 4, low profile plastic toilet, then decided that I like china better! You, or anyone out there, can have this toilet for the cost of shipping (it's bulky, but it only weighs 8 lbs). And go with PEX tubing and sharkbite connectors and you'll be glad you did! I think I can get another yr out of my old toilet and then I'll have to look at getting a new one myself... joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote