Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Too many Thrones...

and not enough time....I just aquired my first AS and first travel trailer ("78, 24 ft Argosy) ever yesterday...the last thing the PO said before she left me standing in the pasture next to it was it will need a new toilet soon...My question after doing a search and noticing so many tt Toilets is ...which one...? Plastic, china, high porf. low prof, hand flush or foot flush, sprayer ( bidette?) She gave me the card of a local guy who fixes trailer stuff for her who can do the work for me...so maybe he can come up with something...Is Aqua Magic a good brand?
Another question is how often do these potties need to be replaced...and how will I know when it's time ?

Also, this trailer will be my hutch for the next 2-3 years...And this may or may not be an important decision for me.

Trailer Buns
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Too many Thrones...

Greetings Trailer Buns!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerbunny
and not enough time....I just aquired my first AS and first travel trailer ("78, 24 ft Argosy) ever yesterday...the last thing the PO said before she left me standing in the pasture next to it was it will need a new toilet soon...My question after doing a search and noticing so many tt Toilets is ...which one...? Plastic, china, high porf. low prof, hand flush or foot flush, sprayer ( bidette?) She gave me the card of a local guy who fixes trailer stuff for her who can do the work for me...so maybe he can come up with something...Is Aqua Magic a good brand?
Another question is how often do these potties need to be replaced...and how will I know when it's time ?

Also, this trailer will be my hutch for the next 2-3 years...And this may or may not be an important decision for me.

Trailer Buns
Measuring of the original toilet will help you to choose a replacement. I suspect that if your coach is like most of the '78 Argosys that I have seen, you will frind that there is a small compartment with a drop-down access door just behind the toilet. This compartment door becomes a limiting factor in the height of the replacement toilet - - in my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre, my Airstream dealer suggested going with the Thetford Bravura Low Profile as it was the closest of the toilets that he stocked to the original's size. It is a little taller than the original, but not enough to significantly interfere with the operation of the small compartment door.

The sprayer that you often hear mentioned in regard to the toilets installed in Airstreams is generally thought of a "water-saving" feature for use when boondocking or when sewer connections aren't avilable. The theory is to use the flush operator w/o water and spray down the toilet bowl with the manual spray (it resembles the sprayer installed at most kitchen sink faucets). Neither of my coaches have this feature so I can't speak from experience on its effectiveness or desirability.

Generally, Thetford toilets provide a slightly easier replacement situation when the original toilet is also a Thetford. It isn't out of the ordinary, however, to replace with one of a number of higher-grade toilets with the china bowl. The china bowl will simplify daily maintenance cleaning - - especially for full-time traveling/use (IMHO). Again, the caution is to measure clearances to be sure that the proposed replacement toilet will fit in the available space.

Typically, when properly winterized, it seems that these toilets can have an "indefinite" life-span. Typically, however, it seems like fifteen to twenty years seems probable in a coach that is used seasonally. The Thetford toilet in my '78 Minuet was 25+ years old when it was replaced, and the Tethford toilet in my '64 Overlander is almost 27 years old and still operating properly. It seems that flush-pedal component wear as well as water valve failures are among the more common problems with these RV toilets as they age.

Good luck with your Argosy 24!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerbunny

Trailer Buns
In order to go back in the place that is there for the toilet, you would need a low-profile toilet. Did the PO give you a reason why it would need a toilet, or just mentioned it as you were driving it away?
You would also need to look at where the toilet bolts up to the plumbing in the trailer, your Argosy has a toilet that is actually recessed slightly under the ABS molded over top of it. Thre are a few variations of this also.
Yours also bolts directly to the top of the black water tank, instead of being piped down to the tank, the tank sits on the floor, inside the wood shell the toilet rests on.
Our toilet in our '72 is the original, but a friend has a 77 that has to be replaced, so there is not set time to replace the toilet.
If you are going to be towing the trailer, it would probably be a good idea to put a plastic toilet back in, to save on weight behind the axles.
In the interest of keeping your repair simple, it would probably be best to replace it with a foot flush model, you probably can get by without a sprayer, as the shower head is right next to the toilet, and will reach it to do rinsing duty.
Terry
Old 07-12-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
In order to go back in the place that is there for the toilet, you would need a low-profile toilet. Did the PO give you a reason why it would need a toilet, or just mentioned it as you were driving it away?
You would also need to look at where the toilet bolts up to the plumbing in the trailer, your Argosy has a toilet that is actually recessed slightly under the ABS molded over top of it. Thre are a few variations of this also.
Yours also bolts directly to the top of the black water tank, instead of being piped down to the tank, the tank sits on the floor, inside the wood shell the toilet rests on.
Our toilet in our '72 is the original, but a friend has a 77 that has to be replaced, so there is not set time to replace the toilet.
If you are going to be towing the trailer, it would probably be a good idea to put a plastic toilet back in, to save on weight behind the axles.
In the interest of keeping your repair simple, it would probably be best to replace it with a foot flush model, you probably can get by without a sprayer, as the shower head is right next to the toilet, and will reach it to do rinsing duty.
Terry
I have a 24' Argosy and replaced my toilet with the Brava low profile. I had to remove the door for the compartment behind the toilet. I did how ever put a piece of 1/4" alum. under the toilet, due to rotten wood under mine. The Brava does not come with a sprayer but I added one and it does come in handy even though the Brtava does flush well.
If I can be of help, let me know.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
accessories

I've always believed that accessories make the man and likewise a well appointed throne room can define the experience. Many overlook the magazine rack and TP holder which completes the motif. Here's a 4 gang TP holder that is easy to set up and should get you by for a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OHBehindOxen.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	7694  

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tin, I don't think this one will fit in my AS....and the flies

Thanks everyone for the advice...I'll let you know how it comes out...the toilet replacement that is....
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:54 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - you don't need to alter your "secret compartment" to install a new toilet. We recently did this job an found that a sealand traveler-lite model by doemtic, fit with no changes to the wall. PM me if you need specific model info - or read the argosy forum....

The new pocelin potty is a HUGE improvement over the old plastic thetford. We tried several models including the bravura before we found one that fit.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
I had a Bravura low profile installed to replace the original in my Safari. Works great, but it is a bit higher. I do think real porcelain would be nicer if it fits properly as Janet indicates.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Anyone put a Sealand in a 310 Classic Moho?

Well, we found our 310 (posting an intro soon in the "newbie" forum to introduce her!) We want to replace the Aqua Magic and have read many good things about the Sealand line. What I am wondering is if the bolts etc. that attach the toilet are compatible with what is there or must they be modified? Also, is the Sealand significantly heavier since it is porcelain?

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Haven't put one in a Moho, but just got a Sealand Traveler Lite in a 1960 trailer. One of the best improvements yet. Just removed the plastic seat that comes with it today and replaced it with a solid, just-like-home seat. As far as compatibility, all Sealand Traveler and Traveler Lite model 111 (lo profile) come with 4 bolt closet flanges at 2, 4, 8, and 10 o'clock positions. The Traveler Lite model 110 (standard height) has a 2 bolt closet flange at 3 and 9 o'clock. If the configuration doesn't match your tank flange, Sealand sells a Universal Mounting Ring Kit that will adapt the Sealand to your flange. Worked like a charm for mine. You can find it at http://www.sealandsanitation.com/traveler_parts.htm towards the bottom of the page. As far as weight, I think the Lite low profile is somewhere around 25 pounds maybe. Worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.