Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Too Hot Water in Shower

Arrived at our campground, turned on the electric water heater, and when I took my first shower I found out that only hot water was coming from the shower. It is a standard Moen shower control and my only conclusion is that somehow the cold water that normally flows when the shower is turned on is not flowing through the valve. Normally water get hotter as you turn the valve counter clockwise, but in my case this doesn't seem to be the case--all of the water flowing through the valve is hot. Has anyone experienced this problem? Not sure how to check the valve in my Classic so all suggestions are appreciated. We are going to be in the same spot for a month so I need to fix this problem.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
My guess is that your mixer is bad. You will have access to the shower valve; probably through a closet.

Call Moen. I know for newer models there is a lifetime warranty on all fixtures.

I would suspect yours is covered.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
My guess is that your mixer is bad. You will have access to the shower valve; probably through a closet.

Call Moen. I know for newer models there is a lifetime warranty on all fixtures.

I would suspect yours is covered.
Thanks. I will call them in the morning. We have Moen faucets in our home and their customer service has been excellent. Unfortunately, access to the shower valve in my Classic is through a small opening under the bathroom sink. Hopefully, I can get my hand and whatever tool is required through this small opening to replace the valve.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would think the failure mode on any adjustable faucet would to the cold side. Before taking to much apart I would check to see the same problem is at the bathroom sink. If so it is not the valve.

While small hot water heater generally shut off at a higher temperature than household unit it could be that the heater thermostat has failed and you just have TOO hot of water supplied to the shower.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I would think the failure mode on any adjustable faucet would to the cold side. Before taking to much apart I would check to see the same problem is at the bathroom sink. If so it is not the valve.

While small hot water heater generally shut off at a higher temperature than household unit it could be that the heater thermostat has failed and you just have TOO hot of water supplied to the shower.
Unfortunately, my bathroom sink faucet is a Moen two handle model that works just fine. When I turn the shower turn knob only slightly, I should be getting only cold water, but it is hot. What is the best way to check the water heater thermostat so at least I can rule that out?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A thermometer with at least a 200 degree upper limit. Turn the hot water heater off and draw the water in the bathroom sink till it is about 150 degrees using the hot side handle only than see if the shower faucet gives you control.

I am not sure what the limit thermostats on the heater should be but if you have control while doing the above I would check what the limit switches are supposed to be and consider getting a new set.

Has the heater safety valve ever opened while the heater was left on?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A thermometer with at least a 200 degree upper limit. Turn the hot water heater off and draw the water in the bathroom sink till it is about 150 degrees using the hot side handle only than see if the shower faucet gives you control.

I am not sure what the limit thermostats on the heater should be but if you have control while doing the above I would check what the limit switches are supposed to be and consider getting a new set.

Has the heater safety valve ever opened while the heater was left on?
Not sure about the heater safety valve, but we have never had a problem with the mix of cold and hot in the shower. I will get a thermometer and check the temperatures as you have suggested. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Moen facets are based off a cylinder. If the cylinder was assembled 180 degrees out of phase, the water will be very hot when it is just turned on and will get colder as it is turned further. Turn it all the way hot. If it is not that hot at that setting, it is the orientation. You can fix it by just taking off the actuating knob and then rotating the cylinder 180 degrees and putting the knob back on. You do not need to get at anything from the back. I have fixed at least 6 valves for people with this simple trick.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Moen facets are based off a cylinder. If the cylinder was assembled 180 degrees out of phase, the water will be very hot when it is just turned on and will get colder as it is turned further. Turn it all the way hot. If it is not that hot at that setting, it is the orientation. You can fix it by just taking off the actuating knob and then rotating the cylinder 180 degrees and putting the knob back on. You do not need to get at anything from the back. I have fixed at least 6 valves for people with this simple trick.
I appreciate your tip but when I turned it all the way to hot it stayed hot. Plan on calling Moen in the morning to see if they have any suggesions. It may require a new cylinder. I will post what they tell me and how it works so anyone else who encounters this problem will have a possible answer to fixing it if it occurs to them.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, something that is commonly overlooked is the temperature of the water coming into your trailer. The hotter it is outside, the hotter the water coming in will be and your setting will have to be on the cold side. Opposite when camping in cold weather, you need to turn your shower almost all of the way to be warm enough. Open a cold water valve for a while and see how hot the incoming water is. [You said that you have a two handle faucet]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, something that is commonly overlooked is the temperature of the water coming into your trailer. The hotter it is outside, the hotter the water coming in will be and your setting will have to be on the cold side. Opposite when camping in cold weather, you need to turn your shower almost all of the way to be warm enough. Open a cold water valve for a while and see how hot the incoming water is. [You said that you have a two handle faucet]
Both hot and cold water seems fine from the bathroom and kitchen sinks. I'm going to call Moen this morning because I now believe it is the failure of the mixing cartridge on the shower control. Will let everyone know what they recommend to correct the problem. Moen normally provides repair parts at no cost.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
Both hot and cold water seems fine from the bathroom and kitchen sinks. I'm going to call Moen this morning because I now believe it is the failure of the mixing cartridge on the shower control. Will let everyone know what they recommend to correct the problem. Moen normally provides repair parts at no cost.
Just spoke with Moen. They are sending me a complimentary cartridge to replace mine which they said was stuck on hot. They did indicate that this can sometimes be a problem in RVs because of lack of use when the orings get hung up. It is not a problem that can be corrected by the owner. Their replacement is required to correct the problem. They are also emailing replacement instructions. The handle is removed with a 7/64" allen wrench. They provide a plastic tool to remove the cartridge but if that does not work they said I can purchase a single handle cartridge removal tool at a hardware store. Will report back when the repair is completed.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Shower Valve is Now Working

Received a new Moen cartridge #1222. They also sent me a PDF file which I have attached to show how the replacement is accomplished. I found that I had to remove the chrome plate escutheon to access the retaining clip that holds the cartridge in place. I also had to access the back of the valve behind the shower to pull away the plastic holding bracket. Removing the retaining clip which was calcified in place required using a small vise grip and rocking it until I was able to loosen it up and pull it up from the cartridge.

While they send you a plastic tool to loosen the old cartidge, I purchased an aluminum Danco Cartridge puller from Home Depot. While it was advertised to work on the 1222 cartridge I found that I had to file the attachment point to make it large enough to clamp over the cartridge to get it to pull properly. After that it was easy to pull the cartridge and replace it with the new one after applying the lubricant that is included from Moen on the rubber parts of the cartridge. Follow the instructions they provide after that and the rest is easy. Lining up the two screws in the backing plate behind the shower required my wife helping me get it lined up properly, but after putting the other parts back together and installing the handle, turning the water to our unit back on, everything worked just fine and I now have the proper valve control to control water temperature.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1222 Positemp Cartridge Install.pdf (1.03 MB, 48 views)
Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, happy to hear that you got it fixed; This is the first time that I heard the valve blocked the cold side. Usually the concern is no hot water.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote