Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Excella
Montezuma , Georgia
Toilet Woes-Need Help

I have a 1998 Excella and have been fighting black tank odors. Am waiting on adapter to arrive so I can use Flush King on the black tank. Meanwhile I filled the tank completely full (all the way to inside the toilet bowl) and added 2 capfuls Calgon. Lo and behold I sprank a leak (floor is wet around toilet). This is first leak and only leaks if I fill tank completely-into bowl. Also, the flapper (trap door) in bottom of commode must leak because water will not stay in bowl. We have scrubbed inside with detergent and brush.
Please, someone with experience tell me what I need to do and how much trouble am I in as far as fixing goes. Do I need new toilet or parts.
Thanks
John
Pharmdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmdawg
I have a 1998 Excella and have been fighting black tank odors. Am waiting on adapter to arrive so I can use Flush King on the black tank. Meanwhile I filled the tank completely full (all the way to inside the toilet bowl) and added 2 capfuls Calgon. Lo and behold I sprank a leak (floor is wet around toilet). This is first leak and only leaks if I fill tank completely-into bowl. Also, the flapper (trap door) in bottom of commode must leak because water will not stay in bowl. We have scrubbed inside with detergent and brush.
Please, someone with experience tell me what I need to do and how much trouble am I in as far as fixing goes. Do I need new toilet or parts.
Thanks
John
It looks like a couple of issues. 1. Black Tank Odor: Yes keeping the black tank clean will help with odor however, the odor should be vented through the roof. Could the venting be a problem? 2. Leak when filled into bowel: Sounds like the flange seal is not working right. Simple fix, pull the pot and replace the flange seal. 3. The slide flush valve requires cleaning and maintenance. If there is not some type of foreign material holding the valve open you will need to rebuild the flush valve. Not too hard of problems to resolve but very nasty work.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
odors...

actually, the odors could be coming from the leaking flange seal too... don't ask me how I know! To pull the toilet, there should be two to three bolts holding the toilet to the black tank. Remove those (the back one is hardest to reach), and the toilet should lift right up (drain that toilet first!). Depending on how much slack on the water supply hose, you may have to disconnect that first.

Get a new rubberseal from an RV supply store, bolt it back on, and you're done! Use new teflon tape on the water supply hose if you don't have a compression type connection (i.e. - if there is a taper on the male side of the connection, don't use the tape).
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote