Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Toilet vacuum breaker

Does anyone have a source for the small, round gasket in the Aqua-Magic toilet vacuum breaker from the 70's? It's similar to regular faucet gaskets, but thinner and softer. In desperation I'll cut one out of vinyl shower base liner and see if that works. I looked on Inland RV's and PPL Motor Homes site and the part isn't mentioned.

I know I've seen this part listed somewhere.

Zep
Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
vacuum breaker washer

i had one in the Argosy get stuck in the air holes in the top. The washer was real flexible and a bit sticky. I think that high pressure shore water caused it it to get stuck. I've replaced it with a washer that worked on testing it with the toilet out of the unit. I worked through a couple from the hardware store and found one to work. Being able to hook it up to the garden hose, out of the unit was real helpful.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Vacuum breaker??

Zep,
When I saw that heading, I thought the toilet came with you when you stood up
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Zep,
When I saw that heading, I thought the toilet came with you when you stood up
I admit I've thought real hard on how to duplicate the apocryphal airline story [of getting stuck to the toilet] on the ground, but I've never been able to hide the 3" vacuum hose leading up to the seat! Besides, when you are the type to generate thrust in this situation, you never have to worry about getting stuck...

Zep
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
I admit I've thought real hard on how to duplicate the apocryphal airline story [of getting stuck to the toilet] on the ground, but I've never been able to hide the 3" vacuum hose leading up to the seat! Besides, when you are the type to generate thrust in this situation, you never have to worry about getting stuck...

Zep
LOL
Sounds like a defect of the afterburner

Back on topic, I hope your question was answered...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
toilet fixed

Only took inifinity plus 1 trips to HD and local pro plumbing shops! You can get a full vacuum breaker repair kit on eBay for $12.95, but I'd rather make a zillion trips and even drive to Denver, but that's another story...

OK, found the washers in the specialty bolts, etc., section, not in the regular plumbing area of HD. You get three perfect neoprene washers in the package. They fit the plastic shaft that slides down into the input side of the valve. You can see the old, hard washer and the bare shaft at the top of the photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7192 neoprene washers-s.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	44569Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7194 open breaker-s.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	44570

As it turned out, once the washer was installed, I found out that the O-ring had deteriorated (took very close inspection to notice it) and the whole valve top leaked under pressure. The O-ring size measures 3.25" in diameter, but it turns out that that size is tight around the groove in the lid. A 3.5" diameter (3/32" thickness) O-ring is perfect. I bought them for about $0.75 each at a specialty shop in Denver. You can buy them from several places on the web for $0.50 each, plus shipping.

Name:	IMG_7195 total breaker-s.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	44571

The circular spring clamps couldn't hold the plastic pipes on the valve and toilet stems when subjected to street water pressure (near 100 psi), so I bought some small hose clamps (the slotted metal with adjusting screw kind) to really clamp them on. Worked great.

Note that the vacuum breaker valve has two arms sticking out one side--they are the toilet-side part of the seat hinge. You need to take the seat and lid off, plus two screws on the inside of the toilet, to get the vacuum breaker out. Makes sense to someone, I'm sure.

Does anyone have a source for these seat buttons? I noticed that on this toilet from a 75 Sovereign there are 4, but in the 1977 Safari the same toilet has 6. Are we getting heavier?

Name:	IMG_7196 broken peg-s.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	44572Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7197 seat peg-s.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	44573

Zep