Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Toilet Upgrade

This may be the wrong area for an "upgrade" post but I was wondering if anybody knew how hard it might be to upgrade from the factory equipped Dometic toilet to a larger, elongated one?

Most importantly, the question is whether or not it can be done without having to drill holes or provide more structural support. I.E.- If it's a plug and play upgrade.

That toilet is all that stands between me and having "all the creature comforts of home."
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Take time to look at the Dometic web site or perhaps the Thetford web site. I seem to recall that both web sites include dimensional information so you can decide which models fit into your space. Both web sites will probably have information on the mounting arrangements too. Don't hesitate to contact their customer service phone line too. I was able to obtain very useful information from Thetford.

When I replaced our toilet the main concern was whether the lid would open (and remain open) due to space limitations and if I needed to change the mounting pattern on the floor. I seem to recall the mounting pattern on the floor flange was adjustable to some extent. A phone call to tech support will probably answer your questions.

When you refer to creature comforts that's a wide open comment. Do you mean some sort of flushing toilet? Or simply a larger, more comfortable seat? Some RV toilets have porcelain components to make them look and feel more like home. That's okay but they weigh more. I've seen flushing models on motorhomes with large black water tanks but flushing a large volume of water down the hatch each time will fill up your black tank in a hurry.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I replaced mine a couple of years ago. The '06 came with a plastic Dometic and I never liked it. I went with a Dometic with a porcelain bowl and it was a very nice upgrade. I am thinking that this is the same toilet you have. So, what is it that you want to improve?

It will have to be a "plug and play" situation because you won't be able to move the flange. You might be able to rotate it a bit but you can't move it away from the wall. Before I jumped into my project I came here and asked questions. Got lots of good information and then went for it. Mine did not fit perfectly but after a bit of adjustment to the plastic part holding the lid on, it is in and working fine.

I would not be concerned about the extra weight. A few pounds is not going to cause any problems. Hundreds and hundreds might but one or two won't.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You should be able to measure from the bolts of your current toilet to the back wall. That should give you the distance from the center of the drain hole. Then check the dimensions of your toilet of choice on their websites. I still have the plastic Thetford Aqua Magic in my Airstream. I'm not sure even the Dometic 310 will fit, the dimensions are so close. The Thetford Aqua Magic Style II is slightly shallower. These are both china basin toilets.

Kelvin
Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
I have the Thetford toilet, and overall am very happy with it, my only 'complaints' are that it sits just a little low and the seat could be a little more comfortable.

Are there any options other than spending less time there so it doesn't bother me as much?
KimberlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you have the plastic model like mine there is not much you can do. The height of the Dometic 310 and Thetford Style II is probably only an inch higher but it looks like you could swap out the toilet seat how those models, plus they are china bowl tops with plastic bases.

Kelvin
Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Hi All, delayed reply but thanks for the comments. Basically, I'm happy with the toilet that's there, it's just definitely not a "home" toilet with the elongated bowl. The Dometic that is in there now is, I believe, porcelain or a super high quality plastic. Great quality, just small and somewhat uncomfortable. So that's where I get the "all the creature comforts of home" from. And no, it doesn't need to be flushing.

Somebody suggested calling the toilet manufacturers customer service line. That's a great idea... not sure why that didn't dawn on me. Perhaps they "guarantee" a fit.

Regardless, I'm counting down the days till I can pull her out of storage and get on the road! Planning an in-town camping trip to the HOA for the maiden voyage... Shake out the bugs sorta thing.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just updated my toilet from the plastic Aquamagic to a Dometic ceramic but I did not have the room for the elongated. I had to go with the standard residential. After installation I revisited the sizing and confirmed that it would not fit in my situation ('06 Safari 25A) without hitting the back wall. The new one is about an inch away. I measured the space behind the existing toilet and then used Thetford's charts to gather the dimensions. I had about three inches space to the wall with the old toilet. Then I shopped around. The standard bowl is an improvement from what I had. Considering that you have a 2015, I believe you have what I installed already. Just check your clearance front to back. You need three more inches. The rear is critical.

As far as installation. It is really not bad; however, be aware that the water line, at least on mine came straight up out of the floor and up- no bend. The Dometic required a 90 degree or horizontal connection. I had to attach a sink stainless hose looped and a sprinkler adapter to attach mine. The floor part was easy- two bolts and a new seal.