Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
toilet replacement

Hello I need to replace the old toilet in my 77 Argosy mh. Iwould like one of the china ones. Does any one know which one would fit ? Currently have a low profile Aqua magic.It is a rear bath.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I just put in a porcelain Sealand Low Profile Traveller and really like it. Has a small foot print and mounts securely. I've yet to take it out and test it on the road though. Soon, I hope.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Refer to Thetford Replacement Guide

I found the following Thetford replacement guide very helpful

Permanent Toilet Conversion Chart

I decided to change from an AquaMagic V to a Bravura. I stayed with the all plastic toilet for weight. You may decide this too when you realize an all plastic unit can weigh under 20 pounds and a porcelain unit can weigh much more than 40 pounds.

Ultimately, you can look at the Thetford (and other brand) web sites to check the dimensions of the toilet. Also consider the arrangement of the toilet flange in the trailer floor.

Thetford refers to direct replacement, recommended upgrade and special upgrade as all being the same mounting flange arrangement. The upgrade refers to whether the new unit has some porcelain or all porcelain.

Available indicates some changes will be required. Most likely the flange will need to be rotated in the trailer floor to accomodate the bolt pattern of the toilet.

Rotating the flange can range from a simple 10 minute task to a major undertaking depending on the type and condition of your flange.

I know this isn't a simple "buy this model answer" but it really does depend on what you want and how much you are willing to undertake for modifications/upgrades.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Thank you both for the info. I like the sealand idea I visited their website but I got a little confused with the different kinds. I would like china. Live in motorhome fulltime and will be doi g the same with the Argosy when it is done . Twenty pounds is not much I can handle that weight .Just hope i don't have to modify anything . Bathroom is in good shape don't want to tear it up. Did you get your sealand off the internet.Where I am staying there aren't many rv supply stores Camping world not one of my favorites and acouple of small ones that don't carry much. Well thaks again.There will be lots more questions as I go along.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I got my new toilet today after looking around on the internet and realizing shipping a toilet is not cheap. I went to a local rv supply and they had an aqua magic lo profile china toilet sitting on their shelf so thats the one I got kind of expensive but conveniant and no shipping costs will be putting it in Saturday hopefully all will go well.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
couldn' wait had some extra time tonght so pulled old toilet out. Sure enough its not just easy out easy in. Out was easy enough but will need to change the flange around for the bolts to line up. Screws look pretty rusted. Decided to wait for better time to start that adventure. Am sure will need more than a few minutes to get the screws out.