Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2002, 02:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Toilet Replacement

Has anyone changed their old Thetford toilet? I got my new LARGER "Bravura" toilet (also made by Thetford), and I am trying to figure out how the old toilet is attached. I know it is held to the flange with two screws, but I can only see the front screw by the pedal assembly. How do I reach the back one (I'm assuming it is back there)? Is there an access panel, or do I need to lift off the bowl assembly some how? Any help would be great!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:51 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There should be a access cover that you can pop off to get to the back bolt. It will require a long extension to get to it as you will need to reach from the top rim of the old unit to the floor. I think the access cover is in the back left corner under the seat.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Marc,

How did it work out? Did the screws match up to your hold toilet? How is the newer "clog-free flush blade"? My blade won't retract all the way and it really stinks! I tried to clean it out to no avail. With four in the RV (including two kids), I figure the redesigned unit will work much better.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Toilet replacement

How does time fly by? I bought everything I need, all I need is "time." (I looked at the local Wal-Mart for it, but it was sold out! ) Anyway, my family is leaving me for the Thanksgiving day weekend (I can't get off work ), and I have plans to bring the trailer home during this time and work on the toilet and replace my overhead 12 v lights. I'll take during replacement photos and post. Currently, I'm sewing new cushion covers for the foam that we bought to replace the old ones.
Stay tuned!
Marc
Old 11-08-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
From what I can tell, the Bravura is the replacement for the Aqua Magic Galaxy and Starlite line of toilets. I have a Galaxy in my 85 motor home.

From www.thetford.com
The Bravura is "The worthy successor to Aqua-Magic Galaxy/Starlite!"

What has my life come to....I'm talk about toilet models on the Internet!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
toilet talk :>

I know, it's awful to get stuck on this subject. The major reason for my "upgrade" is tha the Bravura is bigger (longer) in the seat area. My daughter first saw the old seat and said "oh look, a toilet trainer seat." I was wondering how I'd get off of it if I got stuck ! Anyway, the new seat is bright white, much cleaner looking then the yellowed plastic old seat. I'm also hoping the new seat doesn't let as much black tank odors escape as well.
Marc
Old 11-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I will be holding my breath to see what you think of the redesign. Supposedly the seal is now serviceable without taking the whole stinking thing apart.

When the whole thing is done, you can sit back, relax, and take a load off your feet!

I scraped out my seal tonight with a coathanger trick mentioned on another thread. The blade closes 99% but still lets some fluid by. It should hold me off until finances allow a sporty new Bravura class throne!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Finally - well almost

I started the replacement. Pictured is the old toilet (with secret hidden compartment behind the seat - all this time I thought it was just padding - thanks Argosy guys!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wc.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	957  
Old 12-03-2002, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
How to come out

Here's where the front nut is, it's under the front pedal. In retrospect, this is probably where the escaping gasses (not while occupied! ) came from - the nuts were a bit loose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wcfrontbolt.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	958  
Old 12-03-2002, 11:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Back nut

This nut is pretty much blind - you can feel and loosen it best approaching from the curbside and feeling behind the toilet. I used a SHORT spanner to loosen it and then spun it off by hand. I actually used my camera (point it and look at the picture) to figure out where the nut was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wcbackbolt.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	959  
Old 12-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Almost there

Here's the base (minus the seat and cover). Still working on attaching the plumbing-I had to get some adapters.
Oops! sorry to keep you in suspense guys, but I'm having technical difficulties with the last pictures I'll try to update tonight!
Old 12-03-2002, 12:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I've got a 73 26' Argosy and it appears to be the same as yours. I looked into replacing the toilet and couldn't find one that would fit in because of the top lid offset -- The hinges on the old one are set forward to miss the backrest.
Watch the horizontal distance between the bottom outlet of the new toilet and that top hinge to ensure that you can open the new top all the way. If it fits, I'd like to know the exact model number of the new toilet.
I wound up replacing the whole trailer with a '99 25' Safari, although I've still got the old one for sale. I managed to get mine off and only replaced the bottom valves (input and output).
Old 12-03-2002, 06:48 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

toilet replacement

We have had our AS 30ft Excella since last April. A new 2001 silver anniversary model which we fallen in love with. The bathroom was a big selling point for us however the Thetford toilet did pose a problem. The company is here in Ann Arbor and I have dealt with them on many occasions in previous years regarding other models of their toilet line. But for your information I have now replaced the toilet twice (third one including the original) with no cost to me. I have the Bravura, tall, installed currently and it seems to be working just fine. The other two had a flush blade that would not hold water and allowed odors to escape into the living area. Furthermore the blade would not return to its closed position without releasing the foot pedal with a jolting action. Even then most times it was not successful. Nonetheless, the company has stood behind its product without question. And for me the installation was simple; no more difficult than changing the water closet at home.
Cheers.................
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

Here's what it looks like without the toilet.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2002, 08:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
base minus cover

Here's the base in place without the cover in place. Had to remove the secret cover (thanks Argosy guys, had no idea it was a cover) to get it to fit. Now I'm wondering if the lid will open all the way HHMMMM. MUST CHECK
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2002, 12:02 AM   #16

Talking

3M,

And now... ENJOY

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 06:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I am also the proud new owner of a sporty Bravura. I took it out to get a look at it. The photo below shows the pop out front that gives you easy access to the flange nuts on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bravura.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	981  
Old 12-06-2002, 07:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Heirs to the throne?

I'm glad others are upgrading like me Finally finished - much nicer seat room. Problems
1) Have someone ready to turn off the water pump when you hear sssshhhhhhhssshhhh (that's the sound of water spraying everywhere
2)If the above happens, push down the pedal halfway - that will allow the water to fill the bowl, but not dump out everywhere.
3) It's ALOT easier to hook up the H20 line before you bolt the toilet down.
4) I learned too much about different thread sizes/types. It should have been an easy hookup, but the PO had replaced the water inlet with a 3/8" taperhead supplyline. The toilet has a 1/2" thread "pipe" threading. After trying various adapters, I got smart and removed the line to the shutoff valve under the cabinet. I had another 1/2" "pipe" thread fitting here as well (both males). After trying for a couple of days to get the right braided hose in the toilet department, I found success, a 1/2" pipe to 1/2" pipe 30" long braided hose in the dishwasher, washingmachine section. NOW it was an easy 2 minute hand tighten job - TADAA!
5) As mentioned before, the seat does NOT open to 90 degrees, only about 85-88 degrees without the "hidden shelf" cover in place. I'm just going to cut out the shelf and fill in the holes. It wouldn't bother me with the shelf, but just in case the inlaws come.......
Old 12-07-2002, 01:03 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Hi all,

Your bath looks the same as my 20 foot Argosy trailer. My toilet has already been replaced and that cover to the hidden compartment is missing.

I need to wait until spring before I see what water problems I am going to have.

On my trailer I noticed the PO had plugged the air circulation around the shower. This was done by massive amounts of silicon at the bath-kitchen boundry. I think the furnace is supposed to draw air through the area that contains sink supply and drain. I would like to hear other comments on this. Right now my appliances are removed, and I can make the hole larger that goes to the bath. This is something I picked up in reading many messages. It might not even be true. Any feedback appreciated.

Jim
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:06 AM   #20

My older AS has no grey water tank, & the black water tank is (I think) under the floor level.
I think I found a good way to solve 2 problems.
I will install the new thetford toilets with removable black tank (you need to have a small door outside to remove)
Then, I open the dump valve and install an other one a few inches lower.
The grey water will back up in the old unused tank. Voila!

Grey water tank problem resolved
Ease of dumping the black water tank without hook ups resolved

These new Thetford toilets can be seen on their website and come in 2 styles, with own water tank or using the existing water lines. They equip 99% of all European Trailers an Motorhomes (even the 100000$ + German Hymer .

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote