Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2004, 09:56 PM   #1

Question Toilet removal advice requested

I am refurbishing a '72 Argosy 26' that has had a tough life.
It has an Aqua Magic Galaxi/Starlight toilet. I can see no fastenings of any kind on the exterior of the toilet and I am at a loss as how to remove it.
The blade mechanism leaks the "standing" water quite quickly, and I would like to dismantle it to see if I can repair it. I understand a new "mechanism" is no longer available but I don't give up easily.
Thetford's web site doesn't seem to help as no matter what I ask, it shows me a Bravura toilet which seems to have an easily removed outer shell.
I would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Thanks
Denny
Lockwasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Get a new toilet

Busted toilet - been there done that! Get a new one. Repairs on old plastic are not worth the energy...some other part of the potty will let go - soon.

One of the problems many argosy owners have encountered is that there isn't enough clearance behind the toilet for modern relpacements. Argosy owners have routinely had to remove the cover to the little "secret" compartment behind the toilet to accomodate a new one. we had the same issue. The new thetford, bravuras and others would not fit. BUT.... the Sealand traveler lite model does fit and is a good porcelin toiet. Comes in 2 heights - check it out. You'll be glad you did.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
To remove your toilet there are two nuts that need to be removed. One is under the flush petal.

The second nut is diagonally in the rear from the first nut. You can reach around from behind to remove that one. There is also a round cap on the top of the toilet body over the rear nut. You can remove this cap to get better access for the nut.

Remove the water line after shutting off the water and the toilet should lift right out.

To fix the water problem you may not need to remove the toilet. Some people have had luck cleaning foreign matter out of the toilet seal with a wire like a coat hanger bent to reach in there.

Good luck!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There is a repair kit available with new gaskets, here is a picture. I got mine at an RV supply place in Ohio that had some old stock. I do not know if this kit is still available.Picture in this thread.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Tim is right on the money with the bolt locations. The one in the rear is at about the 10 o'clock position and there is a 1" plastic plug in the top of the toilet to get access to it. With a long enough extension on your 3/8" ratchet, a swivel joint and a deep well socket, you can get to it.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I am one who fixed my toilet for the same reason - if its fixable, removing the toilet will not help much - use a coathanger to clean the "track" - otherwise, at least as of last year, the part is available for about $85.00 from marksrv.com - great folks to work with. In my view, I fixed mine rather than having to figure out how to fit a new one in.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote