Old 05-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Toilet Problem

My toilet is obviously not an original, it's been replaced by a P.O. with good intentions? but bad engineering techniques. (see pictures)

I currently have a Mansfield Traveler 910 (diagram inlcuded)

The toilet is shorter than the oem, and the P.O. attempted to make up for this by raising the floor. Its got a 5/8"? plywood riser, a plastic flange, then is bolted to a couple boards, which are in then turn screwed to the floor. The boards show obvious signs of leakage, so I definitely need to tear it out and go from there.

Any advice short of replacing the whole thing? I'd like to reuse it as it's in great shape, and don't want the expense of going with a complete replacement. Has anyone else installed this toilet, or had similiar issues with it being to short? What are my options?
I've searched the forums and haven't found much on Mansfield, other than it appears that they are now Sealand?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0094.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	21134   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0095.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	21135  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mansfield.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	21136  

2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Well the toilet is now out......and it's worse than I thought? The lower boards in the first picture slipped around the black plastic (second layer). It turns out the black plastic is the toilet flange - here's the problem. It appears to be a home toilet flange. Even worse, it appears to be cemented/glued into the balck water tank. I recall reading in the forums that it was originally a screw in flange?

I think I'm now stuck with making this setup work, or removing the black water tank and possibly replacing it. The toilet seals all appear to be in good working order, but with the board rot I'm not completely sure. The damage may have come through other leakage, as I believe the window above, and the trim around the "trunk" were both leaking.

What's the drain tube coming thru the wall and terminating just above the service door? It was ended directly above the raised toilet boards.

2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I would recommend getting a new pot. Sea land is still in business. They make a great porcelain toilet called the traveler lite. It comes in 2 heights - and is easy to install.

Here's a link to a dealer - they have specs online. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...raveler%20Lite

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
The pot isn't really the problem now, it's the home toilet flange glued? into the black water tank and sticking up about 3/4" above the floor. I thought the p.o. had raised the floor to accommodate the shorter toilet, but now that I've pulled it out I can see that the raised floor was because of incorrect toilet flange usage.

Do I dare try and cut it out and replace correctly (threaded flange?) Or am I hosed due to this flange being glued in?
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Great Pumkin,

I believe you should try to remove the closet flange,as its called,You,ll have to do what you need to do to remove it ,the least amount of damaged of course .If it doesnt go well ,then the black water tank must come out .If successfull with the flange ,there are risers available from thetford i think to raise the toilet correctly in 2" size ,could be more ,not sure.the nasty old wood has to go ! you can reuse the pot if you want .Janet is right about the sealand travler lite .A great unit ,we have one in our 60 trdwnd .

Scott