Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Toilet problem

On the next to last evening of our last trip, I stepped on the pedal of the Thetford "Bravura" toilet, only to hear a loud bang and have the pedal drop to the floor. The flush valve stayed wide open regardless of pedal position; thankfully the water was not running.

I pulled off the front trim and found that the screw that connects the rod from the pedal to the flush assembly had backed out completely. The big hairpin spring that holds the flush valve closed was hanging on the rod from the pedal.

With great difficulty, I managed to sprawl across the aisle and get a hand in. Holding the pedal down with the other hand, I got the flush rod back in place and fit into the flush mechanism. There was just enough room to get a stubby screwdriver in and Ionly managed to get the screw partially tightened. The space is so small that to turn the screwdriver caused a plastic edge to dig into my arm painfully.

There was no spring tension on the flush valve and the toilet would not hold water, but, at least, the flush valve closed well enough to prevent odors, The lash-up did get us home in fairly good shape. At my last stop, I flushed the tank well and put in a double dose of treatment to spare whoever at the dealer ends up fixing it. I suspect that the toilet will have to be removed or disassembled since there is no way to get in there otherwise.

Now, to call the dealer and set up an appointment.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
That does not sound like fun.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Also, don't forget to remove all of your magazines and the fuzzy seat cover.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
ahem..

Bummer - sorry couldn't resist

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fixed

Just got back from the dealer; it was fixed under warrenty. Took close to an hour of a tech's time all told.

To get it back together, the toilet had to be removed from the mounting ring. Once out of the trailer, the flush valve is fairly accessible from the rear of the unit. It takes strong fingers to get the spring back in place after the screw is reinserted,

I have added to my once a year maintenance checklist an item to check the tightness of the screw. With an offset screwdriver from my shop, I can assure that it is still in place and tight. That removes any concern that it will fail while on the road again.

It sure messes up a trip when it comes apart. Short of unmounting the toilet, there is no way to fix it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I'll have to check ours, we put a lot of miles on it & that is one appliance that would end any trip of ours.

I used to calibrate electronic devices in my 'former life' & used a touch of finger-nail polish (usually clear, but colors for ID) between the screw head & surface of the p.c. board (or whatever) to hold it in place. Unlike loc-tite the polish is not an impediment to future turning of the screw. I still use this technique where necessary.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote