Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Toilet Paper Test Results

Somewhere ther was a post about TP. There was someone (sorry I don''t know who) that said to take RV TP and ;put it into a jar with water. Do the same with the TP you are using.
We put water into 2 mason jars, then put 2 sheets of RV TP (from camping world) and 2 sheet of TP Costco brand "safe for septic systems".
Shake up the jars. Unbelievable - the RV TP was disolving before we put the jars down. Costco brand did break down, but took much longer.
After a few hours of letting the jars sit the specific RV TP in half the mass as the Costco paper.
So I guess they both do the job, but from that little test I do believe that the RV TP will be on our shopping list from now on.
Any opinions?
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Very useful info. We'll have to get some RV TP too.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
1. I'd sure want the TP NOT to breakdown immediately (an ugly thought).
2. It will be sitting in the black tank for many hours, giving it ample time to break down.
3. IMHO, this is more important for the septic system than the black tank. In a septic it needs to breakdown in case it gets past the baffles and into the leach field where in may plug up the perforations in the pipes.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Thank you for taking the time to test those. I would not have thought to try this. After spending 30 min removing an old toilet from our AS yesterday, I will do all I can to make any of that process better.
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf View Post
Thank you for taking the time to test those. I would not have thought to try this. After spending 30 min removing an old toilet from our AS yesterday, I will do all I can to make any of that process better.
I parked next to a man who solved the toilet paper clog problem. Seems they put used TP in a lidded waste basket and periodically burned it in a fire. Yes they had a separate fire for cooking.

I discovered this when I smelled something that was vaguely like a burning tennis shoe stuffed with limburger cheese.

I suppose it is one way of dealing with the problem, but in a crowded campground?

In days of old
when knights were bold
and paper wasn't invented...

Maybe someone could just rig a sprayer to use warm water and operate without depressing the flush pedal... oh and then an air dryer to follow up. I actually think the Japanese have done this.

Paula
Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We use RVTP exclusively (no more than 4 or 5 sheets at a time), along with whatever tank treatment is on sale (blue juice, OxyChem, Odorlos, etc.). We also have a clear connector from the dump valve to the sewer hose so that visual inspection can tell me when the black tank has been rinsed enough.. The only time we get dissolved paper is after towing for a day - stationary use of the facilities and the above chemicals and paper don't do a thing to break the paper down - it exits pretty much intact when dumping that tank.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
We have one of those clear valve connector too. It is helpful to see if all items (paper, waste, etc) are emptying correctly.
Forums member #29232

Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I love that story, Paula. I always cheers me up to hear about people who are waaay stupider than I.

That sounds like a super idea. Save used toilet paper to burn in the fire so that you don't have to spend the higher price for RV toilet paper. You could even store the used toilet paper under the bed or in the refrigerator until campfire time.

Seriously, I did a similar test on toilet paper in a jar of water. I'm sticking with the 2 ply Thetford Campa-Soft RV toilet paper that they sell at Wal-Mart. It's pricey for toilet paper ($4.66/4 pack), but it's a lot cheaper than than a major black tank catastrophe.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Seriously, I did a similar test on toilet paper in a jar of water. I'm sticking with the 2 ply Thetford Campa-Soft RV toilet paper that they sell at Wal-Mart. It's pricey for toilet paper ($4.66/4 pack), but it's a lot cheaper than than a major black tank catastrophe.

Brian
We agree, anything we can do to eliminate any potential problems we do it. So it is RV toliet paper from now on.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

We need to do a new test.

Test 3 types of paper.
.......RV safe paper$$, Regular ole Scott, Really soft Quilted Charmin

All 3 types of paper tested in 3 mediums.
........Straight H2O, Chemical tank treatments, Enzyme

I use Scott paper with an enzyme treatment.
Result.....The paper is always dissolved by the time I get home.

My gal used Charmin with a chemical treatment in her SOB.( I know )
Result... Not dissolved when she got home
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
For the past 4 years we have used Scott paper and no chemicals with no problems.
If we were doing boondocking then tissue would more of a concern.
On another forum they had pretty much the same test and Charmin was the worst.

I do have a Flush King and back wash both black and gray tanks on a regular basis.

Garry

I think most black tank problems stem from not adding enough water to the black tank after dumping or not enough when flushing.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
we use the normal Scotty tissue. It is me and three girls. I have never seen any paper flow through the valtura fitting into the stinky slinky. We have filled the tank twice while sitting still at a park and never have I seen any evidence of paper at all. At international when dumped into a container that was then suctioned up, there was zero evidence of paper. I have tried the RV type. It is very expensive and with three ladies in the house a roll is gone in a day. I will just stick to the $.49 rolls that last a long weekend.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I never gave this a thought. It is interesting to hear about the differant problems. I hate looking at my own waste and loathe the thought of seeing anybody else's, so I don't have a see through poop chute. So I cannot say what disolves and what doesn't. We use what ever is on sale at Safeway.After 15 or so trips with the toilet and black water tank operating I have had no problems. Also did the same in my SOB. When I first got the Airstream it had a fairly rank oder inside, one of the things I did was dump ice in the black tank and drive around. That seemed to clean the tank ok. When we leave to go on a trip I put 2 or 3 gallons of water down the black tank. and after about every 3rd or 4th trip I stick a hose in the tank when I get home to rinse it out. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I've got a question for you. This is our first trailer and have had it for about 1 yr. What I am wondering is if everyone else has the same ordeal cleaning out the black tank. The tank sprayer does not work so I use an inside wand sprayer that has very good pressure and works very good. I also use a clear extender to see what is going on. After the initial dumping, it takes me a considerable amount of time opening and closing the dump valve to get the tank clean with the pressure sprayer going the whole time. I end up doing this probably 8 - 10 times before there is no more coming out, and this is with waiting about 3 - 5 min. with valve closed each time. Now if someone is in back waiting, I just do this one time and leave, but I know it will need a lot more cleaning when I get home.
Is this normal? I see most just connect up, dump the black, dump the gray, wash up and leave! If I did that, I bet about half the stuff is still in the black tank!

Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We too belong to overcleaners anonymous. Our tank rinser unit works, and we have a tendency to rinse until the water is coming out clear. I am coming to the conclusion that I am way overdoing it. I think as long as you don't let the black tank ever go dry, you'll be OK.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

As I stated I use an enzyme based treatment

With this method , you are not supposed to get your black tank totally clean, as the enzymes need some food. Enzymes eat the bad bacteria.

I know people who use Ridex powder. You put a cup full of the powder
down the toilet, and then " use " the toilet ( number 2 ). Don't rinse the black tank when you go to the dump station, and add about a shot glass full of the Ridex powder into the black tank. In my opinion the cheapest, best, most environmentally green method of dealing with waste and odor.

At the end of the season I do rinse the black tank, fill it with water, drive it around , and then dump again to get it very clean.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Enzyme method

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
With this method , you are not supposed to get your black tank totally clean, as the enzymes need some food. Enzymes eat the bad bacteria.

I know people who use Ridex powder. You put a cup full of the powder
down the toilet, and then " use " the toilet ( number 2 ). Don't rinse the black tank when you go to the dump station, and add about a shot glass full of the Ridex powder into the black tank. In my opinion the cheapest, best, most environmentally green method of dealing with waste and odor.

At the end of the season I do rinse the black tank, fill it with water, drive it around , and then dump again to get it very clean.
Thanks that is a method I had not heard of. I understand the concept of the bacteria building up. Will have to give it a try.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I think as long as you don't let the black tank ever go dry, you'll be OK.
Brian
It may be a little different up North.....I flush, empty the black tank completely, dry? Then add a couple gals rv antifreeze for winter storage, ck the toilet frequently and add AF to the bowl if needed.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Sorry 'bout that. Lucy has never been winterized.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Sorry 'bout that. Lucy has never been winterized.

Brian
*is envious*
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote