Old 08-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Silverdale , Washington
I have a23d Serenity 2016 model, picked up October of last year and I have the same problem. I am a first time owner of any type of RV and I wasn't quite sure what to do so I just kinda cleaned it a little with a toilet brush and jiggled it up and down a few times and now seems to be working fine. I read this forum sometimes twice a day. It's funny how much you can learn and don't know about your AS. I thought I was the only one having troubles. I wouldn't trade it or change anything. Thanks to all of you who contribute.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
NOT PLUMBER'S PUTTY.....Plumbers Grease....The best brand I have found is ACE Hardware. As to the lubricating the toilet valve, that would work. You can also find a product at NAPA auto parts stores called SilGlide, a silicone grease. I use it also on my rubber window seals which are now starting to show some cracking after 50 years.
Ditto....ACE plumbers grease. It is 100% silicone and is thinner than many silicone water valve lubes. This is important as the thick stuff will actually create "high spots" and cause the seal to stand off the ball valve.

I find this style to be much more finicky than the blade type. I have to clean under the seal lip a couple times a year and re-lube.

GROSS spoiler alert! Be sure to open the valve fully, hold it open and don't let it close....slicing solids. This will immediately "foul" the seal.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I know that olive oil or vegetable oil will eventually go rancid. I've heard of people using mineral oil on things like cutting boards to season them and not have to worry about the oil going bad. Ever try mineral oil on the seal?

Nope...wouldn't trust petroleum based.

Couple tablespoons in the dumper over the Winter has worked for about 5 Seasons, SFSG

"..if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
In a new toilet, sounds like something solid is preventing a good seal IMO. Clean flushing of solids is very important, especially if others flush the toilet with solids in it, and don't hold the valve open long enough.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
. . .
Paper and waste can get impacted in there and stop the valve from completely seating.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
. . .
Be sure to open the valve fully, hold it open and don't let it close....slicing solids. This will immediately "foul" the seal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
. . .
. . . it gets calcium deposits which keep it from sealing properly.
. . .
Old 08-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
NOT PLUMBER'S PUTTY.....Plumbers Grease....The best brand I have found is ACE Hardware. As to the lubricating the toilet valve, that would work. You can also find a product at NAPA auto parts stores called SilGlide, a silicone grease. I use it also on my rubber window seals which are now starting to show some cracking after 50 years.
Well, that's what I thought, but TomKirk's link was for Plumber's Putty. He must have been looking at the wrong product.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OOPs, I could've sworn my little tub said 100%. Will have to check when I get home off the road at week end. But this is the stuff:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1272642

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #21

2016 27' Flying Cloud
North GA , Georgia
I have new 2016 FC 27FB. Toilet developed same problem. Issue was the white plastic part coming out of one of the two pivot holes in the toilet base. I had to keep reinserting it into the hole by turning off the water, reaching down the hole (with gloves) and popping it back into position. Then it worked fine until it slipped out again. Took into the dealer and the owner said that it was the second toilet with that exact issue in the last month or so to come in for service.
I think there is a grommet in the hole to keep the part in place. I think it came out and is now in a dump station.
From what I read on the mfg web site, these parts are not repairable and they just replace the entire toilet.
Your problem sounds like my issue so I thought I would through in my experience.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I found Oatey's Silicone Grease in my garage, was using it for something else. I got that at Lowes but the Ace Hardware packaging looks similar.

At the Oatey's site I found their plumber's silicone grease. Both say 90% silicone and -40 to +400F. Packaging says safe for all rubber parts and contains no petroleum.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:43 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Estero , Florida
Update on the toilet problem

All,

I went over to the camper yesterday and had at it with the toilet brush and it is clean. It is sufficiently lubed and always was. What appears to be the problem is the white part that moves with the flushing not returning to a sealed position.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariRich View Post
All,

I went over to the camper yesterday and had at it with the toilet brush and it is clean. It is sufficiently lubed and always was. What appears to be the problem is the white part that moves with the flushing not returning to a sealed position.

I think Farrgram's reply above is worth noting. If that white piece is not closing it could be due to a snapped piece of plastic that is not repairable (I had that problem - Dometic sent me a new toilet even though I was a couple months out of warranty).

Good luck!