Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Toilet maintenance question (newbie alert)

We just got our '95 Sovereign (21ft) last week. We took it out last weekend on its first (test) trip and all went well.
A question that came up is: the manual mentions "biodegradable" toilet paper. Is this the same as regular "septic system" safe toilet paper?

Also, wondering if we can put bleach in the toilet for cleaning purposes?
jornvango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
It is a special toilet paper. Look at a camping store or at a Walmart in the camping section. Regular t.p. can clog your system. I wouldn't use bleach as it may harm any plastic or rubber seals.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, you need a dissovable toilet paper. Yoy also probably need the blue chemicals to control the odors. We use the dry powder packs from Walmart. Black water systems work best if you dump every few days rather than to just leave the black valve open when you are hooked up. Doubt if you will really need to use bleach. The toilet paper is a big deal when it clogs your valve.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have used regular TP in 2 trailers for 20 years. NEVER had a clog or any issue of any type. Secret is in water to "solids" ratio. IMO, this requirement is all about marketing. That said, I do not buy the triple ply, softer and puffier than a goose down quilt stuff.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have used regular TP in 2 trailers for 20 years. NEVER had a clog or any issue of any type. Secret is in water to "solids" ratio. IMO, this requirement is all about marketing. That said, I do not buy the triple ply, softer and puffier than a goose down quilt stuff.
You have been luckier than we were. Our first AS (1977 model) was a huge learning curve. We learned how yucky a clog is.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Most cheap TP at Walmart or elsewhere comes apart when it gets wet. We have used such paper in both trailers for years, and in our houseboat for 25 years without any problem. The houseboat had a recirculating Thetford that got pumped through a two inch hose into a 70 gallon holding tank, then pumped out at the dock.

I agree, the big "secret" (no secret anymore) is to use lots of water. Without water, no TP will degrade and flow out when you dump.

That's what we do.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
I agree completely, nothing special is needed other than to generally stay away from the super "soft and quilted" types. 34 years of doing that has worked for me.

If in doubt, test your TP this way: Put two sheets in an old large clean quart jar, fill it half full water, shake it up. If it goes to pulp quickly, use it. If not try another brand.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Set your favorite soft plush TP in a pan of water. It probably won't dissolve very fast. Set some Scotts One-Ply in water. Whoosh! Turns to mush very quickly. This is what you want. You don't need to chase around town to find RV paper in my opinion. [Thanks to thecatsandi for pointing out how well the Scotts dissolves. SYDTR Michelle.]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Use the Blue Stuff

I have found the Thetford, formaldehyde-based (banned in California)*, holding-tank additive to be much better than the "green" alternatives. After each black-water dump, I add 8 ounces to the holding tank, followed by two full toilet bowls of water.
To lubricate your holding-tank valves, there is a different Thetford additive that may be used in both your gray-water and black-water tanks once a year.
*If it's banned in CA, it must be good.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
No special paper here ... dissolves almost instantly any more.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Cottonelle single ply. Holds together and works well until it hits the tank where it dissolves almost instantly.

The use of formaldehyde based black tank treatments is what caused Florida to close all the rest stop dump stations -- almost all had septic fields that relied on bacterial action to process solids. The formaldehyde products are virulently anti-bacterial so they caused havoc with those facilities. The State decided that they preferred controlling what went into their system and the RV community would just have to do without.

Not to mention it is carcinogenic.

The bacterial/enzymatic products (Pure Power and Roebic are good examples) have worked fine for me over the years and are harmless to man, beast and septic systems.

Lots of water, dump whenever the opportunity arises and carry on!

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Cottonelle single ply. Holds together and works well until it hits the tank where it dissolves almost instantly.

The use of formaldehyde based black tank treatments is what caused Florida to close all the rest stop dump stations -- almost all had septic fields that relied on bacterial action to process solids. The formaldehyde products are virulently anti-bacterial so they caused havoc with those facilities. The State decided that they preferred controlling what went into their system and the RV community would just have to do without.

Not to mention it is carcinogenic.

The bacterial/enzymatic products (Pure Power and Roebic are good examples) have worked fine for me over the years and are harmless to man, beast and septic systems.

Lots of water, dump whenever the opportunity arises and carry on!

Mike
Maybe, but they are ineffective in odor control and (imo, less than effective in any kind of dissolving action) until that particular industry provides an effective alternative, I use the blue stuff. I've tried many of the alternatives, only to find myself back with Thetford "blue".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The formaldehyde products are virulently anti-bacterial

Amen brother, Ain't it great.
Anti-bacterial is the whole point.
Your black-water holding tank isn't a septic system, it's a holding tank.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
One thing you must never do is put Kleenex in your toilet. This will clog your black tank faster than you can blow your knows. I learned this the hard way.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Go Country Boy Style!

After my Dad got a bath of sewage trying to remove a clog in his Winnebago 25 years ago, we went to the country boy system. Paper never gets put down the hole, it gets put in a trashcan. Today, with Wal-Mart plastic bags, I line a small waste can with about 30 of them. After each use, put the paper in the Wal-Mart bag, tie up the bag and toss in the trash.

I have two dogs, and pick up after them when they go "potty", and that is way more disgusting.

No clogs.
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
1/4 cup Dawn or equivalent, down the hole once in awhile instead of the bleach works well for us.
Same single ply paper we use in the house.

Bob