Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Cornersville , Tennessee
Question Toilet lever feels stuck... operator error or problem?

This is probably a really dumb question, but since I don't know the answer I'm going to ask it anyway!

The toilet in my 1978 Argosy has a lever with another small lever attached to it. I'm no stranger to flushing an RV toilet, having lived in a 5th wheel for the last couple of years... but pushing on this lever does nothing. It won't push down, it won't come up, it just feels stuck.

Is this something broken, is it somehow locked, or am I just losing my mind?

Also, is there a good place to find a replacement sprayer for the toilet, as well as a new shower head that will fit the space?
SnazzyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
It sounds like the lever mechanism is jammed or broken. I assume your lever is foot operated, press them both for flushing, press the smaller one for bowl filling. Maybe it is the original toilet from 1978.

Maybe the linkage can be repaired. I would have to take the toilet out to see what's going on with the links to the slide valve and water inlet valve. I hope it isn't frozen solid like the lakes here in Minnesota!

Toilets are one of the least expensive appliances in your trailer. Camping World and others sell both the Thetford and Domenic brands. You have to be careful to get one that fits your bathroom space.

Doesn't everyone want a new toilet for Christmas?

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Toilets are one of the least expensive appliances in your trailer. Camping World and others sell both the Thetford and Domenic brands. You have to be careful to get one that fits your bathroom space.

Doesn't everyone want a new toilet for Christmas?

David[/QUOTE]

You are so right about that. A new toilet can also be one of those additions that you will wonder why you didn't get sooner.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Cornersville , Tennessee
Well at least now I know what the smaller lever is for! I had thought about replacing it but while searching around the forums I kept seeing people say it was hard to find a new one to fit the old space. Mine is a rear bath with the toilet in the center on a platform, it has the little vinyl covered storage door over it.

I think I'll probably poke around the toilet a bit and see if I can fix anything, and also check to see if I can find a new toilet that'll fit there... as a backup. Thanks for the info!
SnazzyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
It sounds like your trailer has the "window seat" bath arrangement similar to my 66 Trade Wind. The toilet in my Trade Wind was a mechanical nightmare.

Here is a picture of my 66 Trade Wind. If you look beyond the mattress, you will see the bath layout. The teal blue cushion in front of the window lifts up revealing the toilet. I thought it was a novel design; hide the toilet and make a dressing seat out of it. BUT, the toilet mechanism is buried behind the trailer and difficult to work on.

And then again, maybe your toilet is mounted to an above floor black tank. That was a common arrangement in smaller Airstreams too.

Post a picture if you can.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Curb Mattress.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	227835  
Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The mechanical aspects of the toilet are repairable or replaceable. Remove the toilet and determine what the problem is. If the trailer has sat for a long period the blade may be stuck to the seal.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
Sounds like we have the same 24 ft rear bath model.That large pedal has a pretty stiff spring,do you feel that you have stepped on it hard enough? If it has not been used in a long time i guess the slide could be stuck.we were tod ours had not been used in about 15 years,i dont recall the pedal being stuck but the water valve had a crack and leaked.I took the toilet out and replaced the valve,the back nut was a stinker to get at(no pun intended) and if you cannot get the large pedal to move the front nut will probably be difficult too.
From what i have been seeing finding a new toilet that will fit may be a problem.That little compartment in back of the toilet sticks out a few inches from the wall and all of the new toilets i have checked out should fit OK on the platform, the problem appears to be that the new toilets are longer front to back so when opening the seat lid which is somewhat longer than the original that useless little compartment will prevent the lid from opening far enough to stay up,cannot say for sure at this time as there is no floor in the bathroom right now.
Can you tell me if the vin number on your Argosy has a J in it indicating that it was built in the Jackson Center Airstream factory, Mine does but i have no idea why or if perhaps all the 78s were?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Did you ever have the classic bad dream of you sitting on a toilet in the middle of the high school study hall?

I replaced my toilet. There were a lot of mechanical problems with the old one. It just wasn't worth the restoration effort for me.

Maybe you can zoom in on this picture and learn a bit more about the mechanical linkage.

And it is very possible this 66 model does not at all look like your 78 model. This 66 is HEAVY porcelain bowl and steel pedestal. The new plastic ones are much, much lighter. Light is good for the rear of an Airstream.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Toilet Removed.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	229117   Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Plumbing City Water Connection.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	229118