Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Lake Lure , North Carolina
Toilet Identification

I've this 1974 31 ft center bath Airstream with a Nov 1989 Thetford Aqua Magic Toilet. The toilet has two foot pedals with a flush(hand) hose. The label doesn't identify the type but there's a small label which has S2757 on it. I need a water ball valve assembly but I don't know if this is a Galaxy, Starlite, AMIII, AMIV or Aurora?? The valve has a straight plastic body with a
metal end piece. The valve has no markings or P/N. Part sellers don't want pictures just my money for a part that might not be right. Can somebody tell me what model Toilet I have? Thanks, Wally
wallygilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Wally,
The make is Thetford and the model is Aqua Magic. I'm not positive but believe you can still buy a replacemet water valve from www.Campingworld.com They are easy to replace, the hard part is hugging the bowl when you have to reach around back to disconnect the water supply line. There are two nuts holding the toilet in place. One is under the flushing pedal and the other on the left rear. Lift the seat up and you'll see a circular plug in the surface of the plastic. Remove that plug and you'll need a long socket extension bar to get a socket down to reach the rear nut. Be sure you order a replacement seal that goes between the bottom of the toilet and the flange on the holding tank. I suggest that you hook water up to the toilet, after replacing parts, to check for leaks. If you test using your house water supply, use a pressure regulator to supply the test water.
Charlie E.
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question Good advice ...but what if.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieE
Wally,
The make is Thetford and the model is Aqua Magic.

I suggest that you hook water up to the toilet, after replacing parts, to check for leaks. If you test using your house water supply, use a pressure regulator to supply the test water.
Charlie E.
Charlie isn't there a pressure drop valve already in an Airstream?
What are the average house pressures vs the acceptble trailer presure?
And what exactly can one expect to happen if the house pressure is not stepped down to the Airstream ?

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Distant Drummer,
Unless the trailer has been modified to remove the pressure regulator or it is defective, Airstreams are protected from high pressure. In some Airstream models, connecting and disconnecting the water supply line is the hardest part of removing and installing the toilet. My test suggestion is to test for leaks by connecting to a garden hose before reinstalling it in the trailer. If a house has a well system the water pressure is probably between 20 to 40 pounds pressure, although some may run higher. Community water systems or "city water" can run up to 100 pounds or more. My suggestion is to make-up a test adapter to connect a garden hose from a household system through a pressure regulator and do the test on the lawn, driveway or workshop. I have seen high pressure distort water vavles so they leak. A leaking valve in a toilet generally gets the rug and floor all wet before it's discovered. We all know that Airstream floors don't last through too many soakings and I find it best to find ways to eliminate resoaking the rug if more than one leak has occured in the toilet. I've heard of multiple leaks when folks have had freeze ups. Charlie E
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Lake Lure , North Carolina
Aqua Magic Galaxy Toilet

I just talked with the "Thetford Corporation" 1-800-543-1219 and was told that my plastic toilet is a Galaxy Starlite. It would be an Aurora if it was china. The ball valve replacement package would be 09868. Yes, I have already devised a pressure check apparatus to check the system when finished with a an/hose fitting from ACE hardware. Thanks for your help. Wally
wallygilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieE
<snip> the hard part is hugging the bowl when you have to reach around back to disconnect the water supply line<snip>
Having my wife do this cost me dearly...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote