Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Toilet / Bathroom floor replacement

While I have the toilet out of my 78 Excella to replace the valve, I was considering replacing the floor. I’d like to install pergo (or something similar) to go under the toilet. My question is, will pergo under the toilet raise the toilet too high from the sub-floor for a good seal to the flange? If so, is there any way to address the issue aside from cutting out the new floor around the toilet?

Thanks!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
WI’d like to install pergo (or something similar) to go under the toilet. My question is, will pergo under the toilet raise the toilet too high from the sub-floor for a good seal to the flange?
Thanks!
I personally would not put anything in the bathroom other than vinyl of some persuasion because of the possibility of water leaks. I'm happy with the original vinyl tile and a throw rug that covers about 90% of the floor.

There are plenty of high quality vinyl tiles or sheet material available to change the decor in there.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
changing floor in bath

I've been talking with the tile guy that just installed the granite in our house bath about doing the trailer flooring over this fall. When I asked him about laminate he said it's not meant for bathrooms. Since our trailer configuration has the bathroom with the center aisle we will have to leave the bath with the current flooring or replace with another vinyl type material and change out the bedroom and living area separately.

I'm glad you asked the question regarding the floor and the toilet, I have the plumber coming over in a half hour to raise up the plumbing to accomodate the 1 inch height gain with the granite tile and radiant heat wires in our house bath. This started me we wondering about the same thing with the trailer. If you were to put a 3/8" tile down do you have enough pipe? Good luck and I hope you get an answer to your question.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
The type of floor aside, how much can the toilet be raised above the subfloor without loosing a solid connection from the toilet to the flange? And is there some way to address the toilet if it is raised due to a floor installed over the subfloor?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
In a regular house toilet, plumbers add another wax ring if the toilet sits too high above the closet flange. RV toilets use a foam ring instead of wax since there is a lot of vibration to contend with. Stacking foam rings is not advisable.

Take your old foam ring down to an RV parts supply house along with a sample of your intended flooring, and ask if they can sell you a taller foam ring that takes into account the difference.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:08 AM   #6

worked for me

I posted an article, earlier today, regarding slate mosaic tiles I put in my 76 Sovereign. When I encountered the raised toilet problem you mention, I found that it wasn't much of a real issue at all. After I stripped out all the old carpet (yes, some previous owner actully installed wall to wall carpet) and removed the toilet from my bath, I noticed that the flange that connects the toilet to the black water tank can be unscrewed after you remove the 6 screws in the plywood. I made a special "wrench", to unscrew it, by fastening together two pieces of wood. One small piece just fit into the slot (approx .5 x 5 inches) and the other was about 2x2x12 to provide necessary leverage. After I laid my 3/8 inch worth of tile and thinset, I simply screwed the flange back onto the black water tank. Originally, the threads were long enough to protrude into the tank an extra 1/4 inch; however, after my slate floor was laid there was still a lot of thread available to keep everything secure. I then just put a new foam gasket, from HD, on the toilet and it went together perfectly. I won't use a wax gasket in a TT. I think that the motion and jarring that these toilets get in a TT would cause them to eventually leak.
SilverStreakca is offline   Reply With Quote