Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Stonewall , Mississippi
Toilet and hissing

Finally got our water running, repaired 2 busted pipes, (old owner must not have winterized). Went to the bathroom to check everything out. Flushed commode, did fine. We were trying to get air out of pipes so I cut on faucet and flushed commode a couple of times. Then we cut everything all water off. Suddenly I could hear a hissing sound around the toilet. When I fushed it, the hissing went away. Started hissing again. Cut on faucet in sink. Hissing stopped. After 10 or 20 seconds hissing started again. Husband said it sounded like a pipe or hose had busted or came lose. (We have no manual).

We were tired and decided to go inside and continue work on it tomorrow. Cut off water hose and electricity. Hissing stopped.

Next morning went inside and there was a damp spot at the base of commode.

Any ideas?

Alice and Spencer Crane
acrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yes, the OEM Thetford toilets have a hose and valve up inside the back of the seat area, which on ours seemed to serve no good purpose other than to leak. If that is the case, remove the toilet, turn it upside down, and bypass the hose and valve. On ours the valve had ruptured, probably from freezing with water in the valve.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
That sounds like the correct course of action overlander 63.The hissing is the sound of the fine spray leak that is there ,kinda like a soaker hose ,remember those ,when the water was on they hissed .Hello acrane,Pull that toilet as said and replace any base seal as well ,do it all while its out ,then take that commode outside and give it a good hot water and soap scrubbing ,for good
measure.

good luck
scott of scottanlily

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Yes, the OEM Thetford toilets have a hose and valve up inside the back of the seat area, which on ours seemed to serve no good purpose other than to leak. If that is the case, remove the toilet, turn it upside down, and bypass the hose and valve. On ours the valve had ruptured, probably from freezing with water in the valve.
All new toilets certified for RV use have a vacuum breaker in the position that you describe. They do go bad as I have replaced a bunch, but they are necessary to prevent the suctioning of toilet discharge water from entering the fresh water system. I have no experience with these older toilets, but you might be removing an important safety feature if that 'valve' is indeed a vacuum breaker.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I think your right lewster that would be a vacuumbreaker,But I thought that when the ball opens as in my sealand ,ther is a bubble like vacuum break upon opening ,no spray up or anything as such ,how would there be "bad"
so to speak water getting into the fresh water system ?now I own a 60 tradewind so its somewhat different ,I think the little bubble burst is my lack of vent in my black tank as it use to vent thru the old toilet ,via a hose to the wall ,then up to the roof .I need to hook up the vent system sometime.
We have no ill effects thus far and we use the commode sparingly .But a great commode .
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Stonewall , Mississippi
About hissing toilet

My husband was trying to take it off, found one screw can't find the other to be able to remove it.

Do you know where it would be located?

Alice
Old 07-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
If it is a Thedford there is a nut in front and one in the rear that has to be removed. on a thedford there is a round removable insert inthe top of the cammode,The back nut is directly below that hole. If you have the foot pedal flush the front nut is under the pedal.
I have spent most of today removing and cleaning my toilet. My vacuum breaker was leaking. I then discovered that the ball valve has cracks in it as well. By the time I buy all the new parts I may be just as well to buy a new toilet. according to the RV parts catalog I have the Vacuum breaker is a reasonable price, the ball valve looks to be $50 + I will check with the dealer tomorrow.
The more I spend to get ready to go the less fuel I have to go with.

Good luck

Kay and Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Stonewall , Mississippi
We are gettin er done! LOL

With your help we got the toilet out. It appears a small plastic partt froze and burst. Picked up another one today, YIKES could not believe it cost $44.

Also with your help got a owner's manual and service manual. YEA!

Thanks for all your help.

Alice and Spencer Crane