Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Today I removed the old toilet

It wasn't too hard. The back bolt was a bit of a challenge to get to but neither bolt was terribly stubborn. Tomorrow I try to unscrew the flange that is screwed into the black tank. Then, well, the floor is rotten underneath so ...... This is getting fun!!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Today I removed the orange and black flanges. It took lots of effort to get that black flange to budge, but it finally did, 1/16 of an inch at time. Then finally 1/8 inch at a time, then finally 1/4 of an inch at a time, and then finally a 1/4 of a TURN at a time. Than finally the whole thing came out. I had to saw into the black flange, being careful not to cut into the tank threads. I guess I just weakened the flange enough for it to loosen up and finally start turning. I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from up above during this process. OH, it was sweat dripping off my forehead. = )

But, surprise surprise, what started out to be a toilet replacement is turning into a total bathroom gut job. I found rotted floor not just under the toilet but also under the black tank and the far back corner under the shower pan.

Next major challenge - how do I remove the shower pan? I can't get the chrome drain thing out. Does it screw on and off? If so, is "off" counter-clockwise?

Thanks,
Sally

Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
Today I removed the orange and black flanges. It took lots of effort to get that black flange to budge, but it finally did, 1/16 of an inch at time. Then finally 1/8 inch at a time, then finally 1/4 of an inch at a time, and then finally a 1/4 of a TURN at a time. Than finally the whole thing came out. I had to saw into the black flange, being careful not to cut into the tank threads. I guess I just weakened the flange enough for it to loosen up and finally start turning. I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from up above during this process. OH, it was sweat dripping off my forehead. = )

But, surprise surprise, what started out to be a toilet replacement is turning into a total bathroom gut job. I found rotted floor not just under the toilet but also under the black tank and the far back corner under the shower pan.

Next major challenge - how do I remove the shower pan? I can't get the chrome drain thing out. Does it screw on and off? If so, is "off" counter-clockwise?

Thanks,
Sally
Hi Sally, Way to get in there and get it done.

The shower drain should come out counter-clockwise. The tool pictured below can be found at most any hardware store. Fits most drains.
Attached Images

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks Lee!! = )
Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The chances are pretty good that you will break the the drain when you try to remove it. On my '74 the belly pan has a section in the rear that is lower than that on the rest of the trailer. By removing the rear section you can gain access to the trap under the tub. If it is just ugly and still works, I'm not sure I would try to replace it. Just cover it with one of those disk type drain plugs.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The chances are pretty good that you will break the the drain when you try to remove it. On my '74 the belly pan has a section in the rear that is lower than that on the rest of the trailer. By removing the rear section you can gain access to the trap under the tub. If it is just ugly and still works, I'm not sure I would try to replace it. Just cover it with one of those disk type drain plugs.
I need to remove the shower pan so I can repair the floor below it. And I'm thinking of painting the shower pan. So I thought the drain needs to be removed to remove the pan. Am I wrong?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My 1976 book says to remove tub, use spanner wrench to remove drain fitting.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Same information for shower pan removal.

Gary
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks!! That's my next project.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Yep, the little spokes broke on the first little twist of the wrench. I'll try the notch-chisle-hammer option, and then the saw-and-hopefully-not-cut-the-threads option.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
If you have to do surgery, there might be an access door to the drain from below at the belly pan location. Ask an owner of a similar trailer. Lots of people have taken these shower pans out. Some will post. Hope you have a great weekend.

Gary
Old 10-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
If you have to do surgery, there might be an access door to the drain from below at the belly pan location. Ask an owner of a similar trailer. Lots of people have taken these shower pans out. Some will post. Hope you have a great weekend.

Gary
TG Twinkie suggested that route. I haven't worked up the courage yet to open up the belly pan. One tiny step at a time. I'm just about to attempt my first pop rivet removal. = )
Old 10-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
TG Twinkie suggested that route. I haven't worked up the courage yet to open up the belly pan. One tiny step at a time. I'm just about to attempt my first pop rivet removal. = )
Hi H-D,
The floor repair may be possible from above, but only if it's a very small area. The wall is screwed to the floor with wood screws and a couple of bolts that go through the bottom channel in the wall and into the plywood floor. If the floor has been compromised much you should open up the inside of the walls around the back to access these screws, and after replacing the plywood, run new stainless steel screws to replace the old ones. I would only do this with a small patch, like 1 square foot or less. With a large patch I would drop the bellypan and put in a large new plywood piece, with the seams over the frame crossmembers, and bolt the plywood through the frame like it was done originally. I also added bolts and fender-washers through the main frame rails and into the channel in the bottom of the wall below the back window. It only takes one on each side to add a tremendous amount of strength to the rear end.
Hopefully you will find very little repair to do there. Do you have a helper? Some of the bathroom parts are a bit hard to move by yourself.
Make sure you use a drill that fits your new rivets to drill out the old ones.

Best of luck to you,
Rich the Viking
Old 10-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks Rich. It appears to be about 4" deep, possibly across the whole width along the back wall. I've been pretty good with my home improvement projects removing the old stuff, then hiring someone to put it all back, right. I'm saving all the threads and responses I find and receive either for my furture reference or to pass on to my repairman. At the moment my helper is my 80 y/o mom. She's really good at cleaning, making drapes and cheering me on. Mom has a really good carpenter who has done quite a bit of work on her house. He's going to make us a new kitchen counter top and I'm sure he can handle the bathroom projet too, if I can't.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the time you took to write this all out for me.

Sally

PS I removed my first two rivets yesterday, so there's no stopping me now!!