Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
To shower or not to shower?

i was looking at david winick's latest project, a 50 flying cloud and noticed there was just a toilet stall and couldn't see a shower on the floor plan. so i emailed him and asked him where he put the shower, he replied and said he thought it would take up too much space, so he didn't put one in. SO, it got me thinking of not having a shower and i wanted to pose the question to get feedback and opinions.

on one hand, i'd pick up some floor space in my flying cloud. on the other i would be resolved to using shower facilities wherever i would be staying (which can be gross) and i do plan on doing a fair amount of boondocking. i could just do an exterior shower but that can make a mess on the ground and then you have the whole gray water on the ground police to deal with.

maybe i've answered my own question, but since i've already wrote this post, would i be crazy to eliminate the inside shower? would it be a worthwhile tradeoff to pick up more living space? how often are you really using your shower in the trailer?

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
My vote is.....

Hi David,

My 68 Trade Wind has a shower of sorts. Its not super comfortable. It certainly is not good for long showers. On the whole, its pretty lame.

That is until I am out boondocking, or staying at a place like Yellowstone... then that puppy is 4 star luxury. In fact, it is far and away my favorite feature under those circumstances. When I get around to it, and can afford it, I will be upping the grey water tank and maybe the fresh water tank in order to take advantage of showers more when boondocking. I forget how much of a rebuild you are doing, but this is something to consider.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Guess it depends upon how well your nose works... or those you may be traveling with... I can't imagine taking a shower (hosing down), outside during the fall & winter months... heck with the grey water patrol! Besides, the grey water is a good source of rinse for the black water line...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
It's Outta Here

Being 6' 4" I find using the shower a challenge, not to mention hard to clean. I now use the shower for storage and plan to eliminate it when I re-model. An outdoor shower will be installed in it's place. Until then I'll keep using the campground facilities, or when I feel froggy I'll hit the river with a bar of soap.

Kevin
Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
David,

Have you considered the other alternative of a wet bath? I've always thought of it as odd to sit on the toilet and shower, but it certainly combines to necessary features into one space. You could always set it up as a wet bath and only use the shower when a suitable alternative is not available.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
How about a 'wet' bath?
I had one back in the '70s in a SOB Coachman TT.
I thought was a very good idea, and found it very usable.
Never really understood why so many dislike them.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I guess Im not clear on the wet bath concept. My 68 has a shower but you could easily sit on the toliet and lean over into the shower area to do your hair. Is that the same thing?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Nice visual...

Toilet is in the shower = wet bath
1972 Argosy 24'...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Nice visual...

Toilet is in the shower = wet bath
I see.

BTW: talk about a visual

Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Always a wide variety of responses here!

The main reason I have the Airstream is for the shower and the refrigerator. Most of my use is boondocking in NFS campgrounds that have pit toilets, and no showers. I like to camp for a longer period than any black holding tank could accomodate, so we always just use the NFS toilets. I use water from the campground spigots to fill the fresh water tank in the trailer, and use the trailer water heater for showers and meal time clean up. Driniking water is carried in separate containers in the truck (I experienced giardia once from a campground spigot - never again!). As the gray water tank fills up, I empty it into a 5 gallon container and dispose of it either in the pit toilets or back in the trees, depending on campgroung policy.

The upside of this approach is I never have to empty a black holding tank. The downside is sometimes having to hike to the campground facilities in the middle of the night.

Sometimes we end up in 'real' campgrounds with hook ups, and then we use the shower facilities provided by the campground. If staying at a campground for the first time, it is OK to inspect the bath rooms before deciding to stay there or not.

Guess the bottom line is that it all depends on how you like to camp, and what you are comfortable with!

Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
that's what i currently have planned is a wet bath, toilet and the shower pan next to it. truth is now that i look at it again, i wouldn't pick up that much space by eliminating the shower because you still need room for the toilet.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Oh yes...you can do it all in one sitting...
Paper always gets wet though.
1972 Argosy 24'...
Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood

\\ massive snip //

maybe i've answered my own question, but since i've already wrote this post, would i be crazy to eliminate the inside shower? would it be a worthwhile tradeoff to pick up more living space? how often are you really using your shower in the trailer?
i've noticed the brand new 'dream streams have exterior showers (some models).

perhaps think about an exterior shower set up...

easy to do...

saves on the interior, and still have the capability...

thinking out loud,

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:31 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Urbanfood, is the image of your trailer reversed or did you happen upon some kind of unique trailer with a street side door? I think the idea of getting water all over the toilet is bizarre, how long does it take to dry all that off after you shower? I look at our shower as a "just incase", kind of like a fire extinguisher. Nice to know it's there incase I need it, but not relying on it to camp with.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We always use our shower, rarely the campground's facilities. Wouldn't be without it. Our TradeWind had a wet bath, and I found it to be just fine. After a while, we barely even got the toilet wet at all. I think omitting any kind of shower would severely diminish the value of your project, should you ever wish to sell it. And, you're right by saying that you do not save much space by eliminating the shower from the wet bath.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
We have a 16' Bambi - it has a wet bath AND allows you to snake the showerhead through the wall so you can take a shower outside. Best of both worlds.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
We currently own 30 foot SOB which we've had for three years and have never used the shower once. Aside from the fact we don't want to drain the fresh water tank and fill the grey tank (and burn through the propane) every time our family of four takes a shower (which is once a day), we don't want to have to bother cleaning ANOTHER shower - we have enough to clean at home. So we use campground showers exclusively.

Admittedly, campground showers aren't always the cleanest around, but we just wear flip-flops and walk right in - and most importantly, away, without worrying about cleaning up.

As a matter of a fact we're looking at a used Safari 25 SS and plan on coverting the shower to a linen closet.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I am planning on putting in a wet bath in my 21 GT. Hopefully I will get this project done and I can actually use the AS for the first time. My floor plan is very, very, very close to Urbanfoods. I have been (and still am) tent camping and a 2 gal shower feels great, so I'm really looking forward to an enclosed 5 gal shower to be in true heaven.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
another idea

hi- you might want to look at what I did when I re-modeled my '72 Overlander. In short, I have a shower with a shower pan that slides completely out of the way when not in use, in front of the toilet. Check out my thread if interested, or PM me with any questions if you like. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
62overlander - no, the image is not reversed, i should have shown the tongue in the drawing to save confusion. wetbaths are common in the smaller trailers and also in boats. you're not getting a ton of water out of the showerheads so it's not like the bathroom will get a huge soaking.

uwe - i think i'm with you on this point, my wife i know is for sure with you (maybe i should have asked her before i posted the topic )

garfield - interesting idea and something i'd consider but i know my wife wouldn't go for it.

aerowood - i'm with you 100%. i'm still tent camping too. can't wait to use the FC for the first time.

ljmii - i like the idea of the snaking through the wall for an outdoor shower. i'll have to incorporate that which shouldn't be a big deal.

gotta love this forum, thanks for the help