Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Shower in the 59

David,

I would put the shower in. I made sure I had room in my 59 just so I did not have to fight with campground showers. Also when I travel I carry water so that if I stop at some place that is not a campground then I can still shower. Also At some of the rallies I have been to the location did not have showers so having my own worked well. I used a tub from a 62 Tradewind and in my case put in the rear corner.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Anybody hear of a sponge bath? We have used this method for many years while boondocking or dry-camping. We have 2 large SS bowls that nest together, a pot for boiling water and a large bath sponge, voila. We don't mind seeing each other naked, even with all the wrinkles. Yes we have an outdoor shower (Nice for the dogs) and one inside too, in our new Safari Sport, but methinks while boondocking we'll still sponge bath.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
I'm thinking of putting in a pseudo wet bath. The idea is to have the shower floor be 42 x 34" shower pan which is also where you would put your feet while sitting on the toilet and where you would stand while using the sink. However a curtain would separate the toilet and sink area from the shower pan when showering so the only part of the bathroom that would get wet is the floor. I saw the Dri-dek tiles mentioned in another post. Dri-Dek | Interlocking Tiles, Sheets & Rolls and I think it would be reasonable to have one Dri dek mat that filled the shower pan. I think multiple use is the name of the game in a small trailer so to have a small shower that sits empty most of the time and a small area to stand at the sink is worse than to have a common floor space that does double duty. Has anybody seen or tried anything like this? I would love to hear other opinions and ideas.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Between the choice of a sponge bath and a shower, I would usually pick the shower (but that depends on who is giving me the sponge bath...)
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We have a wet bath (shower, toliet and sink) in our Safari. I got the Dri-Dek tiles and it really helps keep your feet dry. It works well for us.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #34
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
After 4 1/2 months on our great Alaska adventure, I could not imagine not having the option of having a hot shower available when wanted. We dry camped most of the time. State, Provincial and National Parks were our primary choice for camping (boondocking would have ben first, but doing the research to find suitable safe places while traveling proved difficult).
Daily sponge baths were sufficient, but a full shower every 2nd or 3rd day kept us comfortable. I should say, though, that we are also sailors who are accustomed to taking a shower while using less than six quarts of water, and that includes shampooing.

To conserve propane, we heated water for spone baths with the tea kettl, and only turned on the water heater an hour before showering.

It worked for us.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #35
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Showers and most other types of personal hygiene should be strongly encouraged.
I personally have wondered why it's called a wet bath, and not a wet dump. Most baths, by definition, are wet, but not all dumps are.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #36
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Showers and most other types of personal hygiene should be strongly encouraged.
I personally have wondered why it's called a wet bath, and not a wet dump. Most baths, by definition, are wet, but not all dumps are.
Can't stop smiling - too funny!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzog View Post
I'm thinking of putting in a pseudo wet bath. The idea is to have the shower floor be 42 x 34" shower pan which is also where you would put your feet while sitting on the toilet and where you would stand while using the sink. However a curtain would separate the toilet and sink area from the shower pan when showering so the only part of the bathroom that would get wet is the floor.
I'm curious about something--are you talking about putting this in the 1980 Caravelle listed in your member data? If so, is this a bottom-up restoration, or is your trailer missing the original bathroom for some reason?

So far as I know the 1980 Caravelles all shared the same bath, which came with a separate shower area. The shower is cramped but quite serviceable and we are mighty glad to have ours when we want it. There are good pictures on the Vintage Airstream Photo Archives page. The Caravelle pictures linked below are a 24 foot model but the bathroom is essentially identical to our 22 footer.

1980Caravelle3

I'm guessing that parts are probably fairly available; the bathroom--like the rest of the trailer--is very similar to the Argosy Minuet.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If it is not big enough for a shower...it is not big enough.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F

I'm curious about something--are you talking about putting this in the 1980 Caravelle listed in your member data? If so, is this a bottom-up restoration, or is your trailer missing the original bathroom for some reason?

So far as I know the 1980 Caravelles all shared the same bath, which came with a separate shower area. The shower is cramped but quite serviceable and we are mighty glad to have ours when we want it. There are good pictures on the Vintage Airstream Photo Archives page. The Caravelle pictures linked below are a 24 foot model but the bathroom is essentially identical to our 22 footer.

1980Caravelle3

I'm guessing that parts are probably fairly available; the bathroom--like the rest of the trailer--is very similar to the Argosy Minuet.
My renovation is a total bottom up. I am 6'2" and the shower in the original layout is way too small. I need to open a bit more room in the rear streetside for kids bunks so I need to redo the bathroom. It just seems like combining the bathroom floor space and shower pan would be a good way to do it.
Tim
Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We had developed a leak in a worn out pressure valve (Andy knows the name of the part) ..so we canceled showers here and we shower at an old converted lumberyard that has a custom shower and toilet area built in and left behind from a former family. We DO however bring in water to where we are with fiva gallon water bottles. Still rememnding my self to get that pressure valve.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzog View Post
My renovation is a total bottom up. I am 6'2" and the shower in the original layout is way too small.
I'm also 6' 2", but the original shower is serviceable for me. The biggest annoyance is the curvature of the shell. (In two directions, no less, since the shower is at the extreme curb side back end of the trailer.) Kind of reminds me of the shower on a river cruise boat we toured on one time.

Good luck with your remodeling. Sounds like your best bet might be to find a 24 foot Caravelle! But not likely--they're not very common.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #42
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I've never "showered" in our shower, but I couldn't 'dock without it.

Large bucket of warm water, sitting on the ledge, well I won't go into details but you get the idea. It's the USMC version of the swabbie's shower.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote