Old 10-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #15
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We always use our shower, rarely the campground's facilities. Wouldn't be without it. Our TradeWind had a wet bath, and I found it to be just fine. After a while, we barely even got the toilet wet at all. I think omitting any kind of shower would severely diminish the value of your project, should you ever wish to sell it. And, you're right by saying that you do not save much space by eliminating the shower from the wet bath.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
We have a 16' Bambi - it has a wet bath AND allows you to snake the showerhead through the wall so you can take a shower outside. Best of both worlds.

ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
We currently own 30 foot SOB which we've had for three years and have never used the shower once. Aside from the fact we don't want to drain the fresh water tank and fill the grey tank (and burn through the propane) every time our family of four takes a shower (which is once a day), we don't want to have to bother cleaning ANOTHER shower - we have enough to clean at home. So we use campground showers exclusively.

Admittedly, campground showers aren't always the cleanest around, but we just wear flip-flops and walk right in - and most importantly, away, without worrying about cleaning up.

As a matter of a fact we're looking at a used Safari 25 SS and plan on coverting the shower to a linen closet.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I am planning on putting in a wet bath in my 21 GT. Hopefully I will get this project done and I can actually use the AS for the first time. My floor plan is very, very, very close to Urbanfoods. I have been (and still am) tent camping and a 2 gal shower feels great, so I'm really looking forward to an enclosed 5 gal shower to be in true heaven.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
another idea

hi- you might want to look at what I did when I re-modeled my '72 Overlander. In short, I have a shower with a shower pan that slides completely out of the way when not in use, in front of the toilet. Check out my thread if interested, or PM me with any questions if you like. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
62overlander - no, the image is not reversed, i should have shown the tongue in the drawing to save confusion. wetbaths are common in the smaller trailers and also in boats. you're not getting a ton of water out of the showerheads so it's not like the bathroom will get a huge soaking.

uwe - i think i'm with you on this point, my wife i know is for sure with you (maybe i should have asked her before i posted the topic )

garfield - interesting idea and something i'd consider but i know my wife wouldn't go for it.

aerowood - i'm with you 100%. i'm still tent camping too. can't wait to use the FC for the first time.

ljmii - i like the idea of the snaking through the wall for an outdoor shower. i'll have to incorporate that which shouldn't be a big deal.

gotta love this forum, thanks for the help

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Love the shower!!

Ya got to have a shower! The wet shower in our 22' is not so bad. The PO installed some rubber boat matting on the floor which keeps your feet out of the puddle of water, and keeps the fiberglass from getting scratched by shoes. We keep a sponge and rubber squeegee in the bathroom to wipe down the walls and toilet after the last person uses it. It all works out fine.

Sir Logan Foxhall, OAP, OJP, NAC, NCC, CL1, PS1, PJ1, CGC
Sir Blaze Foxhall, Let the Games Begin!!!

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
No shower? That will hurt your ability to boon dock and lower the value/sellability of the trailer.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hot Showers Rule !

I use my shower in my Caravel everytime I go camping. Maybe once or twice per trip. Easy to use and I haven't used all 6 gals of hot water yet. I don't use it everyday while camping tho.

I don't see the value of not having a shower in my particular trailer. It is right in the center at the rear. Besides the enclosure covers the entire inside rear of the Caravel. Way more modification than I wanted to do to not have it.

I would keep the shower and make it a wet bath. Just my .02
Chris AIR # 7276, WBCCI # 7276, TAC OR - 8
Photos of Project 2k5
Project 2k5
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #24
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Wet baths are common in sailboats costing upwards of $300K,
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Can't live well without the shower

Hey Urban, I vote for the wet bath in your vintage situation. Space saving and very workable. A shower was a top criteria in my vintage Airstream search. My 1960 Tradewind has a wet bath. The shower pan is nearly as big as newer Airstreams. I manage to drape enough shower curtain around the toilet and riser to prevent the area from getting wet each time I shower, which is at least once daily when camping. A well-made teak slat mat works well to protect vintage shower pans and keep feet out of a slow-drain situation.

Gotta have the shower ~ just love the hot shower!
Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
1950 21' Flying Cloud
1966 26' Overlander
Parsons , Kansas

I am interested in this floor plan for my 50 Flying Cloud. What is a gaucho and where would one find a wet toilet unit?

Originally Posted by urbanfood
that's what i currently have planned is a wet bath, toilet and the shower pan next to it. truth is now that i look at it again, i wouldn't pick up that much space by eliminating the shower because you still need room for the toilet.

Julestream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57

In the current build out of my FC I did not include a shower. For one thing, by putting the twin beds in the rear the toilet area is quite small. So far we have not found this to be a problem. When boon docking sponge baths are fine for us and saves a lot of water. We've seldom found CG's where the showers were not up to basic standards.

Your floor plan is the same as mine excepting the twins. It works really well and is very live-able for extended camping even when the weather is not that great out.

I may yet turn the shower into a wet bath by building a stainless floor pan that includes the wheel well area but so far the need just isn't there. I would also need to better seal the side walls to the outside wall, but I do have a regular house type shower door for the bathroom door and covered the glass on the outside by gluing 1/8th inch wood to it. So far that has worked really well.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Smile Ensuites Down-under

My wife and I toured New Zealand & Austrailia in a rented motorhome, KEA brand, that had a small shower, toilet & sink arangment. We used the shower a few times but every 2 or 3 nights would take advantage of an option that was available at most "Caravan Parks" or RV campgrounds.
An "ENSUITE UNIT". Yup, a private bathroom with FULL sized shower, toilet & sink with heat if needed & LOTS of HOT water. Only cost between $2.50 & $4.00 US dollars per night additional and was it ever worth the $. After a Hot & Dry day, a shower was heaven.
We where in NZ Feb 13 thru Mar5, '06 and OZ from Mar 6 thru Apr 14, '06
With the MH for 19 days in New Zealand, we drove 2400 miles. NZ is just a tad larger than the State of Oregon. In OZ we had the MH for 34 days and covered 6,800 miles. The average cost per night was about $14.00 to $18.00 US d. Then 1.00 AU dollar was .77 US d.
Am sure glad we went, but then that is another story not related to the green back.

Those Ensuite units would be GREAT adition to any US campground because DOWN-UNDER there were RV's of all sizes where using them. As well as the tent campers.
By the way, the avitar photo of me with the 2.1 KILO Rainbow was taken at "ROTORUA LAKE, NZ on 2/19/06"

Just some info. If you ever plan to travel in either country, NZ or OZ, give me a jingle and I can maybe help you save some $$$$.

catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote