Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
To PEX or not To PEX

I know most of you folks are PEX fans but I am beggining to think plain old CPVC is going to be ALOT easier to deal with and make repairs to. Also you don't have to deal with all the special fittings and tools and not being able to get in tight spaces. I know a lot of you guys like shark bite fittings but they are NOT PERMANANT like you think they are. Anything with an O-ring seal will fail eventually when the rubber takes a permanant set and gets hard. I expect this would take about 20yrs which in the building industry is considered a lifetime. Also CPVC is going to be a lot cheaper.

Copper use to be good but now the alloys being used are crappy and the wall thickness is so thin that you are lucky to get 20yrs out of copper. Weight and cost issues throw out copper as well as freezing hazards.

So let the flames begin.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
In 20 years, I'll be dead or close to it, likely not RVing in any event. So I see no problem with a 20-year life expectancy of PEX.

Lynn
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
CPVC is installed in my house and works well with no issues.
PEX is installed in my trailer and works well with no issues.

I think that PEX is a better fit for the trailer for a few reasons. It is much more flexible allowing it to be curved more that CPVC can. This makes it easier to work on IMO. Another issue is the freeze factor. PEX will expand while CPVC will crack and split.

There are other options besides shark fittings. Many use the ring system that has no O Rings. My installation uses Flair-It fillings which are very easy to work with and have no O Rings.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
My 61 was redone with CPVC before I bought it. I was skeptical but it has worked fine in the 9 years I have had it. It looks like it was heated slightly with small bend put in to handle curves.

That being said, If I were doing one today I would buy the crimping tools and use pex. I think it would be simpler and easier once the tool investment was made.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Both are great and easy to work with. My airstream has easy access to all valves and fittings. Not worried about having to make repairs.

Brian
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We chose pex primarily for it's flexibility. Being able to bend it around the rear curve of the airstream means fewer hidden connections to potentially leak down the road. It is easy to work with, and I had to buy a crimping tool for a project in the house anyway. I've worked with copper, PVC, ABS, and CPVC, and all work equally well in the various projects I've done. I do not trust the push-on type connectors any longer, after having one leak in the house after a year. While not a big consideration, I do like the blue and red colors of pex.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Just a heads up for PEX users..

Our trailer the PO replace all the frozen copper with PEX.. Problem is he used 3/4" and not 1/2" or better yet 3/8"... It takes forever to get hot water to the kitchen,, and 2+ gallons of antifreeze to winterize..

With a flowjet pump we are not looking at 29 gal per minute anyway,, so my advice is keep the plumbing scaled back for the reasons stated above,.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Perry

Use what works for you. ::shrug::

In stick houses the fact that PEX comes in long coils and is flexible helps keep installation costs and fitting count down. With crimp rings or expansion fittings the incidence of leaks is lower than CPVC, and there is no need to wait for the cement to dry before applying full pressure. The solvent used in CPVC cement is toxic.

I've seen CPVC that's been frozen while full of water and there is nothing left but a row of little pieces of plastic on the floor below where the pipe was. Repairing PEX after freezing is no picnic but at least there is some resistance to damage.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Perry

In stick houses the fact that PEX comes in long coils and is flexible helps keep installation costs and fitting count down. With crimp rings or expansion fittings the incidence of leaks is lower than CPVC, and there is no need to wait for the cement to dry before applying full pressure. The solvent used in CPVC cement is toxic.

I've seen CPVC that's been frozen while full of water and there is nothing left but a row of little pieces of plastic on the floor below where the pipe was. Repairing PEX after freezing is no picnic but at least there is some resistance to damage.
I hadn't even considered using CPVC for the trailer until this thread, the advantages of flexibility seemed to fully justify PEX. However, with my scope reduced to just a water tank, water pump, hot water heater, and sink faucet, I can actually pull off a straight pipe installation if needed. The time to dry thing doesn't matter for my purposes, and the advantages of easy construction of CPVC are pretty high.

However, the biggest argument against it is still the toxicity of CPVC cement. I'm not putting that nasty glue anywhere near my drinking water.

Plus I already bought the crimp tool...

Edit: forgot to mention I live in warmer climates, and never see below freezing, thus the lower importance to me of avoiding freezing pipes.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
pex

Last summer I installed a outdoor shower, used pex for the first time it is so easy . Ive done a lot of cu pipe work ,this is way easer than that. Ive heard they use Pex in homes now . As for the tools you just need cutter & crimper they have all the tools in kit @ home depot & Lowe's. check out photo installed shower in rear curbside compartment taped in to supply line @ water heater when you push in hose it goes in to whole foods canvas bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camping 235.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	155674   Click image for larger version

Name:	camping 238.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	155675  

Click image for larger version

Name:	camping 240.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	155676   Click image for larger version

Name:	camping 241.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	155677  

silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
We chose pex primarily for it's flexibility. Being able to bend it around the rear curve of the airstream means fewer hidden connections to potentially leak down the road. It is easy to work with, and I had to buy a crimping tool for a project in the house anyway. I've worked with copper, PVC, ABS, and CPVC, and all work equally well in the various projects I've done. I do not trust the push-on type connectors any longer, after having one leak in the house after a year. While not a big consideration, I do like the blue and red colors of pex.

Chris
I just had my camp re-done with pex and because the lines are exposed on the interior of the baseboard I really didn't want the red and blue. My plumber was able to find pex in plain white.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Ottumwa , Iowa
I think pex is better i have installed it into my parents house and a few others you can go from one point to the other and not have any joints anywhere you dont want less leaks and it takes less time to install it cause you dont have to measure, cut and glue everything together. I know thats what im going to put in my camper less headeachs.
cjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I just had my camp re-done with pex and because the lines are exposed on the interior of the baseboard I really didn't want the red and blue. My plumber was able to find pex in plain white.
Yah - I can find white too, but that is so boring...

I've looked at Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes, and all three around me carry white, blue, and red pex. Different shades of the blue and red depending on which store you shop at. Plus, the oxygen barrier pex intended for hot water heat is another color yet.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I really like pex and use it where ever I can. I bought a crimper the first time I replaced a line on the Airstream. Everything I have done lately has been crimped.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
What with the belief that O rings go hard after 20 years and all copper tubing is crappy thin wall stuff and such things, I don't think your problem is with the pipe material ...

The bit about special tools is also in this line as you can do PEX with nothing more than a knife and a good grip.

There are more options for PEX fittings than there are for just about any other pipe but that is probably a problem, too, because it means making a decision. I'm currently favoring Flair-IT types but a neighbour is having some problems that appear to be due to poor install technique so I'm re-examining that one. The fittings I've used for the last 10 years or more seem OK, though.

Quote:
This is probably the best advice, I think. I'm still using polybutyl with Quest fittings from when I redid the plumbing 20 years ago. PEX is the modern equivalent. I've also used CPVC, copper, and iron depending upon circumstances. Isn't it nice to have so many options?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have to go with "what works best for you". I used PEX and Sharkbite fittings.I bought mine in 10 foot sticks at Lowes. I replumbed all the rear bath area and hot water from back to front. I went in well.When I fired up the system I only had one leak because of installer error. I was an easy fix when ya get the PEX plugged into the sharkbite fittings correctly. YUP I make mistakes too.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Yah - I can find white too, but that is so boring...

I've looked at Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes, and all three around me carry white, blue, and red pex. Different shades of the blue and red depending on which store you shop at. Plus, the oxygen barrier pex intended for hot water heat is another color yet.
I wish I lived near you. They only sell the blue and red at HD and Lowe's near me in some stores, and then it's only in 50' rolls. I need only ~15 feet of blue and 4 feet of red. Ah well, guess I can't be picky about everything. White it is.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I used pex from the OEM inlet and regulator to the crossover, then I used the crossover copper and then back to pex. I made all connections with flexible braided stainless steel. If I had it to do over, I'd do it exactly the same.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I know for a fact the O-rings don't last forever because I have replaced a lot of them. I also know that the copper pipe in my house is less than 20yrs old and has pin holes in it from corrosion. I also know my folks have a house that has copper pipe that was made in 1946 and they have never had corrosion related leaks. I have never had a leak from PVC or CPVC pipe joints. If they don't leak when you turn the water on you are usually good. My trialer has PB tubing in it now. There are lots of jury rigged connections that are leak prone in it now. I have never had enough guts to hook it to city water. I am working on external leaks at the moment and then I will turn towards the potential internal ones.

Perry

[QUOTE=bryanl;1133426]What with the belief that O rings go hard after 20 years and all copper tubing is crappy thin wall stuff and such things, I don't think your problem is with the pipe material ...
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Perry, sounds as though your choice is made?

My home was built in the mid 80s, and plumbed in the polybutylene that was prone to failure. In fact we qualified for some of the class action money. I found that info out while searching the web to find out how sorry a product the polybute was.

We replumbed with pex, mostly because of the ease of use. The house is on a slab, so the plumbing had to go in the walls similar to wiring. Ten years in and no problems. We did use the brass fittings and crimp rings. We got around the tight location problems by pre- assembling what we could in the open and keeping the crimps required the the tight spots to a minimum.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote