Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
time for new toilet?

I have the saniware model 1000 toilet removed from my 1965 safari. I filled it with water and it only leaks a small amount. Are parts available, and if not what would be a good replacement that will fit ? It is 15" tall to the top of the rim. the seat was attached to the fiberglass above.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
I have the saniware model 1000 toilet removed from my 1965 safari. I filled it with water and it only leaks a small amount. Are parts available, and if not what would be a good replacement that will fit ? It is 15" tall to the top of the rim. the seat was attached to the fiberglass above.
Saniware parts have not been available for at least 30 years.

Andy

Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
Andy, do you know what replacement would fit that has a foot flush like the saniware?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
toilet

Quote:
Andy, do you know what replacement would fit that has a foot flush like the saniware?
The Thetford Bravura has a foot flush but I think the Sealand Travel Lite will be yout best bet. It is also a foot flush but is on the side instead of the front.

Dan
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Sorry, I must apologize that someone else answered for me, however incorrectly.

The only toilet that would fit in that bench is the Thetford Aqua Magic 4, but they quit making them about 4 years ago. We cannot find any.

The problem is that an extension must be added to any footstep toilet that you try to use, other than the one above.

The next problem, is making it fit in the bench. I think you will find that you will have to modify the bench, which can be a trying task.

We keep on looking, but we are still running into a wall, trying to find a replacement toilet for the Airstream trailers that have the original toilet mounted below a bench at the rear of the trailer.

Sorry that we could not be of more help.

Andy
Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
Andy,

Thank you for the info. I will try to find an Aqua magic 4 .Even If I find a used one I assume I could still get parts.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Quote:
Andy,

Thank you for the info. I will try to find an Aqua magic 4 .Even If I find a used one I assume I could still get parts.
I am doing a similar job as you. I did a quick search here at work during lunch and found this combo might work. Aqua Magic V low profile at 12.9" tall then adding the available 2.5" riser. Should bring the total height to 15.4", my old one measured 15.25" tall. I'll have to go to the Thetford website and find more dimensions because I can not be over 17.25" front to back, then there is the matter of the black tank hole lining up depending on how the toilet fits front to back.

Derek
Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrtheil View Post
I am doing a similar job as you. I did a quick search here at work during lunch and found this combo might work. Aqua Magic V low profile at 12.9" tall then adding the available 2.5" riser. Should bring the total height to 15.4", my old one measured 15.25" tall. I'll have to go to the Thetford website and find more dimensions because I can not be over 17.25" front to back, then there is the matter of the black tank hole lining up depending on how the toilet fits front to back.

Derek
Derek.

Why don't you want to use the "high" profile to start with?

That will save you some money and extra work.

Andy
Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I would prefer not to use the riser, but the high profile measures 17.5" tall, thats 2.25" taller than the original at 15.25". That would put the high profile toilet above the plastic cover not under it. I am pretty sure I have some wiggle room but not two inches worth. I did not measure the actual distance from the top of closet flange to the bottom of the plastic cover, I just measured the old toilet. I will hold off on ordering a new toilet till after the new floor is in place and new closet flange is in hand. I might be able to gain an inch with the new floor, cuz I plan to do things different than what I took apart, if so the high profile just might work. But for now from the measurements I found on Thetfords website the Aqua Magic V looks to be the way to go.

Derek
Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
Derek,
Please post your progress on the Aqua V. I am still searching for an Aqua IV. RR
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
It'll be a couple of weeks before I place an order. Just test fit the new floor in place today and have to make a new tray for the black tank before I can start putting things back together. Once the floor and black tank are in permanently and the closet flange in hand, I should be able to get accurate measurements and make a final choice on which toilet. I'll be sure to post back here when that all happens.

Derek
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Going to go with the Aqua Magic V low profile foot flush. Will make my own riser.

D
Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Derek,

Please post pics of your progress as you rework your trailer and install the new toilet. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I have taken a lot of pictures so far, just need the time to get them posted, which is hard when I work till 10pm or so each night.

D