Old 04-24-2002, 08:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Thetford Toilet Repair??? Galaxy Low Profile

I have a Thetford Aqua-Magic Galaxy Low-Profile (WOW! The marketing staff worked overtime for that name) in my 345. The lever only goes back about 95% of the way. The 5% is enough for water to go down and some fumes to come up. I have the parts diagram but I am stuck at where to start. How does that thing come apart to get a better look? I saw the hole plug and removed it. What's the point of that?

The local repair shop won't look at it. Their policy is to sell you a new toilet for $200. I think it may just need some TLC and maybe a new gasket.

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Fred. You need to remove the toilet. In order to do so, remove the hole plug, as there is a nut down at the bottom of that hole that must be removed. It will take an extension, on your wrench. You will probably find once you remove the toilet that the slide mechanism is badly corroded. If that's the case, you can replace the entire toilet, or replace just the mechanism. However, installing a new mechasim on a 17 year old toilet is not a good idea. Secondly, for another $75.00 or so, you can get the new toilet instead of just a new mechanism.Andy

Old 04-29-2002, 11:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Fred,

I agree with Andy's assessment. I removed the low profile toilet from my 345 last year because of a leaking valve and bad vacume breaker. I ended up replacing it. Balancing the time to redo it vs the extra $$ to replace it, I chose to replace it.

If you decide to replace it, your choices are limited, you need a low profile. It is just under 13 inches tall. A normal toilet will sit up too high because it is mounted on the platform. I think I paid about $170 for the new toilet at a large local RV store. Camping World was a few bucks cheaper, but much further drive. The new toilet came with all the mounting hardware, including the flange seal. I replaced the water inlet elbow nipple with a straight conversion adpter so I didn't have to make any other plumbing changes.

There are just two bolts. One under the pedals, the other opposite. You can get to the back bolt with a box wrench reaching around back if you don't have an extension handy.

Jim
Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

The tool recommended by Thetford for easy removal of the two bolts under the toilet bowl is a half inch 12 point ratcheting box wrench. These are easily obtainable in sets, costing $50 to $80, but members may be interested to know that the correct wrench is available singly for under $10 from ACE, part # 2067825, a half inch 12 point Ratcheting Combination Wrench, under the trade mark "Gear Wrench". I sprayed the nuts with WD40 the day before, and the bowl came out in 5 minutes work. I suggest this is an ideal tool for an Airstreamer's tool kit. An ideal christmas gift? Nick
Old 12-09-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
lowes has a set of gear wrench racheting wrenches for $49 or you can buy the single one if you want. i bought the set. and put them in the silver weenie. and that works great for the front bolt nut on the toilet. i use a six point deep well socket taped to a long extension and a 3/8 rachet for the nut in the rear. my paws just dont work to good behind the toilet, too big. not much room.
i say again 1/2 deep well socket tapped to a long extension.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas
Fred, I feel your pain.

I just went through this to repair the vacuum backer. The pix is looking at the left side of the toilet with the back to the left. You can see where the bolt goes. I use a long extension with a universal joint to turn the bolt. Since it really won't show I decided to cure the nut problem once and for all. After I knew the layout, when I reinstalled it I found that I could get my hand around the back and guide the socket wench.
LOL....bil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	4060  
Old 12-09-2003, 10:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas
And now for the rest of the story.

If you are adventurous you may be able to repair the slide valve. My is working ok so I just cleaned and lubed it then reassembled. It looks like you may be able to take it apart and find the problem....bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet2.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	4062  
Old 12-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Question flange seal

Can you get the flange seal for this toilet from camping world?

What would I ask for?

When my tank is so full nothing else can go down the toilet, it leaks out the bottom of the belly pan when I go outside to dump it.

As long as I dump before it gets this full, I have no problems. I am hoping the problem is this flange seal.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Actually, this is an old thread and I replaced my throne with a Bravura model a year ago. No problems since other than paper pile-ups in the black tank so I need to install a tank rinsing piece to rinse the tank better.

I looked at the parts when I took it out and I don't think cleaning up and replacing seals was an option. Lots of corrosion.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #10

Red Rock , Texas
We are replacing the toilet in a friend's Airstream but I'm not sure that we should be using the beeswax seal that she was given. It seems to be much too thick, but something is needed there. Is there a specific seal or do we need to remove most of the beeswax to make that seal much thinner?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgradziel View Post
We are replacing the toilet in a friend's Airstream but I'm not sure that we should be using the beeswax seal that she was given. It seems to be much too thick, but something is needed there. Is there a specific seal or do we need to remove most of the beeswax to make that seal much thinner?
You might want to start a new thread - you bumped one that is 7 years old, and the last post might not get noticed. Are you replacing it with an RV toilet? ...Or are you trying to use an ordinary home toilet? If a home model, it's a bad idea because it weighs too much and uses way too much water for your black tank. An RV toilet uses almost no water to flush, and operates with gravity. It is literally a straight shot downward for the waste. I haven't replaced one myself, but I haven't heard of an RV toilet that uses a wax seal.

You can go to www.thetford.com and choose toilets, then go download the installation instructions. Nothing there about wax rings.

Paula
Old 05-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Toilet replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgradziel View Post

I just replaced my toilet in our AS. It came with a rubber foam beveled gasket. Wax gaskets as far as I know are used in homes under a toilet with a tank etc. Prior suggestion is very good go the website for RV toilets. Not a big job.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote