Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thetford Bravura Closet Flange gasket

So, I usually don't travel with the black tank nearly full, but twice this summer I did. Each time I found a small bit (perhaps a tablespoon or so) of water on the bath floor. Once....a fluke, twice....LOOK for the source.

Thanks to the extensive knowledge on these forums, it didn't take long to determine it was the Closet Flange gasket.

Now, my unit just had its sixth birthday, so I figured the toilet is loose or the gasket was installed incorrectly. So, I ordered a new one and changed it out.

But, it was installed correctly and the flange is mounted on top of the linoleum, and stands up 7/16" - 1/2" above the floor surface as it should.

The gasket showed a uniform "honeycomb" impression pattern on the toilet side and an even compression by the flange on the lower side. I could see that there were "hard water" or "other" deposits in the honeycomb grooves in the toilet side of the gasket, confirming the presence of water between the gasket and toilet.

This gasket had just taken a permenant set after only six years! Really? I guess this is just another regular maintenance item for the list!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The next one you have to put in - consider coating it in 100% pure silicone plumber lubricant. It should at least double it's life and give you a more water tight seal.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, I just finished about an hour ago, and it is only a 30 minute job...I doubt the new gasket has set. Should I do it today and reuse the new gasket? Is this an HD item?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The gasket is not going to have taken a "set" in that short of time. Might be worth it. It will be either in a tube by Harvey Company (which I prefer but can't always find) or like this.....

Whatever you get just be sure it's 100% silicone. Have fun and get plenty of paper towels - it's sticky...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Is this the same 100% silicone that I've used for swimming pool fittings? If so, I have some of that.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
As long as it's meant for plumbing fixtures and it's 100% silicone it should be the same. Kind of milky clear and sticky as heck....?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup, same stuff. I check the tub and it just had some fancy name but it's the same. I'm now down to changing out the gasket and applying silicone in 15 minutes! Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The gasket showed a uniform "honeycomb" impression pattern on the toilet side and an even compression by the flange on the lower side.......This gasket had just taken a permenant set after only six years! Really? I guess this is just another regular maintenance item for the list!
Our 2006 stared having intermittent black tank odor a couple of years ago, that I finally tracked it down to that same foam gasket. It had permanent press, exactly as you say.

My theory is that the plastic toilet's high expansion/contraction during the fairly extreme temperature range over the seasons and day/night, is compressing it.

I think replacing it occasionally is a good idea and keep a couple of extras onboard now. It is an easy quick job and also gives me the chance to inspect and thoroughly clean the floor around the closet flange.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote