Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question The Day has come... got miracle?

I am now ready to do my AS plumbing. Here is what I have:

1. Re-painted orignal 1963 Overlander bathtub.
2. New Aquamagic V toilet
3. New 8 gallon black tank.
4. Original sinks with updated faucets.

Need to buy everything else...

~ I will be 99.9% hooked to city water & sewer.
~ I need to find out how to get bathtub to drain to an exit valve.
~ I need to configure kitchen & bath sinks to drain out same valve.
~ I need the proper black tank valve

I really want to do this without a gray tank.

Question.

? Can I do this without a gray tank?
? Is there a site and/or resource wherein I can get a list/diagram to re-create this pluming without "re-inventing the wheel"?
? A supply house that can sell me all the connectors, valves, fittings I will need?

Thanks AirAngels for your input. Never would have gotten this far without this site.

FYI- All cabinets/walls etc are out of the trailer- I can configure any which way at this point. Futhermore- I am not not against using a shower pan if that helps the situation. Not attached to the tub...

Peace,
Zstream
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For the grey drain, you can glue a series of PVC pipes back and forth across the frame, exiting at the black tank dump valve, and a small Valterra valve for it. The pipe will act as a grey tank.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Do you have any friends who are plumbers or fitters to ask?

I know everybody thinks there a plumber, but there is a right way and a wrong way to pipe things so that they work without problems.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Don't have any answers for you, but I am interested in seeing some photos of your solutions and installation.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I just got an idea for you. Go to the Home Depot. There is usually some retired plumbers working there. Ask him if he would stop over for a look see. It may cost you a few bucks or a beer or two, but it would be money time well spent.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstream View Post
Question.

? Can I do this without a gray tank?
? Is there a site and/or resource wherein I can get a list/diagram to re-create this pluming without "re-inventing the wheel"?
? A supply house that can sell me all the connectors, valves, fittings I will need?

Peace,
Zstream
Yes, you can do it without a grey tank. You'll obviously need to be hooked up to the sewer to dump the tub. You can connect all the sink and tub drains to a PVC line that connects to a 1 1/2" Valterra Valve that dumps into the 3" dump valve. See posts 229-232 of this thread for some more details. You should use your old trap that connected to the drain under the tub or use a Hepvo Valve. Many of us also use a PVC test plug, available at Big Box stores to make sure none of the grey water comes back out of the tank. You may not have that issue, but several feet of PVC pipe can hold a surprising amount of water.

Hopefully the pics in my thread show you how to connect the dump piping. For a plumbing diagram, post 174 of my Caravel thread may be helpful. Consider PEX and either a set of PEX pliers or Sharkbite fittings to make your fresh water connections. The guys on the VAP had a great discussion on fresh water plumbing a couple of weeks ago.

Check Vintage Trailer Supply, pplmotorhomes, Camping World, outofdoorsmart, etc for parts.

Good luck.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post

Yes, you can do it without a grey tank. You'll obviously need to be hooked up to the sewer to dump the tub. You can connect all the sink and tub drains to a PVC line that connects to a 1 1/2" Valterra Valve that dumps into the 3" dump valve. See posts 229-232 of this thread for some more details. You should use your old trap that connected to the drain under the tub or use a Hepvo Valve. Many of us also use a PVC test plug, available at Big Box stores to make sure none of the grey water comes back out of the tank. You may not have that issue, but several feet of PVC pipe can hold a surprising amount of water.

Hopefully the pics in my thread show you how to connect the dump piping. For a plumbing diagram, post 174 of my Caravel thread may be helpful. Consider PEX and either a set of PEX pliers or Sharkbite fittings to make your fresh water connections. The guys on the VAP had a great discussion on fresh water plumbing a couple of weeks ago.

Check Vintage Trailer Supply, pplmotorhomes, Camping World, outofdoorsmart, etc for parts.

Good luck.
If your going to be hooked up most of the time, you can can just leave the grey valve open. As long as you have pee traps on the sinks and tub that should keep the sewer gasses from backing up in the trailer. If you are going to take it to a place were you don't have sewer hook up, look into getting a blue boy. It's a holding tank on wheels.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You need to run vents up though the roof, so the drains don't vacuum lock.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Holly cow guys...thank you...I'm off and running now!

Re: sink vents... Isn't there a way or gizmo aka "ventless" connector that you can install at the sinks so you don't have to vent out the roof?

-ZSTREAM
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:

Re: sink vents... Isn't there a way or gizmo aka "ventless" connector that you can install at the sinks so you don't have to vent out the roof?

-ZSTREAM
Yes I have a one attached to my house bathroom sink. So I know the make them.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:

-ZSTREAM
They make them, we call them cheater vents. But, its a moving part that will eventually break. A stack out the roof can't break. They are probably holes already in the roof where they were once located.

You also have to figure the rough ins for the sink traps. (you have to allow for the tail pieces and the traps when you pipe it)

Are you going to have a shower? Lav sink? kitchen sink? They all need traps.