Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Pisgah Forest , North Carolina
Suddenly the shower stopped working

I decided recently that I was ready for a restoration, so I got myself a 73 Sovereign. Then I had to go away on a job and thought, why stay in hotels when I have an airstream now? So here I am, living in one PRE-restoration, and learning very well all it's little quirks.

When I hooked it up to water for the first time, water gushed out the back end under the water heater. (rear bath model) Unable to really get in there and fix things under the shell I've come up with this solution: New electric instant water heater inside.

The hose hooks right to it and then the "out" lines goes out my window and into the back compartment under the window. I found the hot/cold lines there, disconnected them from the part that would go to the old water heater, and connected them to my new one. The existing lines tee off to go to the sink, then the shower, and then up front to the kitchen. Great. It works now.

Problem, there are leaks in the kitchen that I don't have the tools to fix right now. Solution, I cut the lines in between the shower and the kitchen and capped them off.

Everything worked well for about 10 minutes and then the shower pressure suddenly died as I was running it. Am I breaking some rule of plumbing by capping them off? The pressure in the sink is still good. Would my shower knob fail suddenly like that? It's affecting both hot and cold.

This is just a temporary fix until I gut it all, but for the time being I would very much like a shower...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It may be a problem with the mixing valve, or could be as simple as the little cutoff knob on the shower head got pushed by mistake.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Thanks for the quick answer! I'll have to look into that. Is the mixing valve accessed under the on/off knob? I haven't taken that apart yet.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea View Post
Thanks for the quick answer! I'll have to look into that. Is the mixing valve accessed under the on/off knob? I haven't taken that apart yet.
Yes. With any luck, it's not the mixing valve.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I vote that the shutoff valve in the shower head got the button pushed in by accident, shutting off the water at the shower head.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
I vote that the shutoff valve in the shower head got the button pushed in by accident, shutting off the water at the shower head.
Nope, it's not that. The previous owner removed the original shower head and installed a typical handheld shower, which I took off when it stopped working. Right now there's no shower head at all.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
A little more info...
When I turn the shower on I get one big burst of water and then it's a small trickle. Does that help any? And it's a delta faucet.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Try removing the shower hose, maybe there is a piece of rubber line or crud stuck in the hose or in the line before the shower mixing valve. Does the water go from the sink valve which works OK and then to the shower valve? If so work your way back from the shower head to the sink valve, removing stuff until you get water.