Old 08-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Stuck Moen shower cartridge

Hi!
I have a 2012 International Serenity with a Moen shower cartridge. For the last 6 weeks or so the temperature has been funky, with either really cold or really hot. This morning the handle "shifted" and was only cold and wouldn't turn off completely. My neighbor/handyman has been kind enough to dissemble the handle to get to the cartridge. He thinks if we replace the cartridge then we can solve our water temperature problems. Problem is, we can't get the cartridge out! It seems the cartridge is bound into the housing and will only come partway out. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the cartridge out?
We also noticed when we took the back panel off that it is plumbed in a really strange way (see video). We were thinking since we couldn't get the cartridge out that we could remove the whole housing from the back and replace that, but it is plumbed such that you cannot remove it. The pex lines have no swivel ends on them for removal, so the only way to get the housing out would be to cut and then repair the pex lines.

flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With PEX plumbing, indeed the way it's done is to cut the swaged ends off and re-swage fresh pipe. The key is to make sure there is enough "extra" pipe to allow this to happen. If not, you are looking at running a new piece of pipe. Needless to say, that's not a fun job.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

With PEX plumbing, indeed the way it's done is to cut the swaged ends off and re-swage fresh pipe. The key is to make sure there is enough "extra" pipe to allow this to happen. If not, you are looking at running a new piece of pipe. Needless to say, that's not a fun job.

Bob
Thanks Uncle Bob. Turns out, with brute force, we were finally able to get the cartridge out. So, all I had to do was go to Home Depot and do the install and we're good. Glad I didn't have to get into a plumbing mess!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Glad you got it fixed. When I replaced some Moen cartridges in the house a removal tool was included in the box. Even with that they were hard to get out.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Force is necessary. Add some plumbers silicon grease when you install the new one. A thin coat on the seals and outside of the cartridge helps a lot.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfishy View Post
Hi!
I have a 2012 International Serenity with a Moen shower cartridge. For the last 6 weeks or so the temperature has been funky, with either really cold or really hot. This morning the handle "shifted" and was only cold and wouldn't turn off completely. My neighbor/handyman has been kind enough to dissemble the handle to get to the cartridge. He thinks if we replace the cartridge then we can solve our water temperature problems. Problem is, we can't get the cartridge out! It seems the cartridge is bound into the housing and will only come partway out. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the cartridge out?
We also noticed when we took the back panel off that it is plumbed in a really strange way (see video). We were thinking since we couldn't get the cartridge out that we could remove the whole housing from the back and replace that, but it is plumbed such that you cannot remove it. The pex lines have no swivel ends on them for removal, so the only way to get the housing out would be to cut and then repair the pex lines.
A couple of thoughts about Moen faucets.....they are about the best on the market, but when you replace the cartridge, be sure to use genuine Moen cartridges.....there are aftermarket replacements, but they eith don't fit properly, or they fail quickly.
Also, at Lowes, there is a professional tool to remove these cartridges for about $20.00 or thereabouts. Buy replacement cartridges for each Moen faucet or valve, buy the tool, and carry it all in your tool kit......it's best to solve problems before they happen...

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
Moen Cartridge tool

As others have stated, Moen is pretty darn good, they tend to last a long time but the after market knock-offs do wear out more quickly. Having said that....Moen BRASS cartridges are better than the Moen PLASTIC cartridges but they are much better than the knock-offs.

As far as the tool goes, I have had most of them in my years as a contractor and the more you pay for the professional model the better off you are. I had a couple of the less expense types and wound up selling them at yard sales.

I agree that greasing the cartridge prior to installation is a good idea.

Hope this helps with future searches for Moen replacement issues..
Rob
1970 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks for the additional input, everyone. I didn't know that there were knock-off Moen cartridges out there, but luckily the one I installed was genuine Moen. Good to know. I don't think Home Depot carries the tool you were talking about; at least I didn't see it in the same bin.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

2012 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
Quick question - what was the correct cartridge number for your shower? I have the same model A/S and my shower is starting to drip when off.
RnK903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnK903 View Post
Quick question - what was the correct cartridge number for your shower? I have the same model A/S and my shower is starting to drip when off.
I'm sorry, I didn't keep the packaging. If you go ahead and pull the cartridge, though, you can take it to Home Depot and they will provide a match.