Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Strange toilet leak

The toilet in our 29' has started leaking when we are connected to city/campgound water systems. Water puddles out in front of toilet, obviously coming from under base. It is a nice, top of the line toilet, put in five years ago.
I have to have a young agile person come in and fix it since I can no longer crawl around down there, but any ideas why this (city water) would produce the problem? Gotta be some sorta valve problem, right?
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Is your A/S a vintage one...
If yes, the easiest is to check if no leak on the water connection to the toilet so... if you are in the same situation as me, that could come from the porosty of the water heater tank... and you have to remove and replace it.... oups !!!
See the photos on my airforum-blog.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Toilet Water Valve?

If the leak is only when connected to city water it could be a fitting or clamp at the water inlet to the toilet, or it could be the water valve that turns on the water when the toilet is flushed, because both of these are under constant water pressure whenever city water is connected. Of course, they are also under pressure when using "on board" water and the pump, but when the pump is turned back off they might only leak a tiny amount until the water pressure drops. You might not notice that small leak.

So far in three Airstreams, I have had to replace the water valve on two of them. In both cases, water leaked out the shaft that is used to actuate the valve. It was no big surprise on the '66 Overlander, but it was a surprise on our '94 Excella that last time out. It's a fairly easy fix if you can find that part (at many RV dealers) and are handy with simple hand tools, but you probably would need to uninstall the toilet to get access to change the valve. The water valve kit even comes with a new seal for when you reinstall the toilet. If you pay to have it done I would imagine it would be 1 hour labor, or maybe less if they bill by the half hour.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Okay Joe, you are thinking along the same line I am. Guess I'll have to ring up the nearest RV gang and have them either head on out or I'll drop by there. Within the last four years we have replaced ALL the stuff in our '88, including ripping out carpet and putting in faux hardwood vynl etc. Oh! I DID keep the Magix Chef but really went all through it with new parts etc. We are not that fond of the new "stoves" they put in trailers now. Thanks to both of you.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The only difference between city/ campground water and your trailer pumped water system is total pressure applied. If the toilet leak shows up while hooked up to the city it is only because the city has higher pressure. Trust me it is leaking while on your pump also.

Don't hesitate to have this fixed because the flooring will soften very quickly once wetted.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote