Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Spray-in truck bed liner for shower tank?

Hello all,

I am starting a custom reno on a 62 Safari. I want to build a shower in the rear corner of the trailer. I was pondering the possibility of constructing the tank out of thin plywood and waterproofing it with a sray-in truck bed liner. Has anyone tried this? I will visit a few spray-in dealers today for more info. I would love to hear from anyone with info, pros/cons, or other suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

David
dsakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
buy a bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsakaki
Hello all,

I am starting a custom reno on a 62 Safari. I want to build a shower in the rear corner of the trailer. I was pondering the possibility of constructing the tank out of thin plywood and waterproofing it with a sray-in truck bed liner. Has anyone tried this? I will visit a few spray-in dealers today for more info. I would love to hear from anyone with info, pros/cons, or other suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

David
David, I'd call the factory first. I don't see why a current corner bath or wet bath enclosure wouldn't work. Why not go for fiberglass? Lighter, won't rot or attract insects, etc.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It would be non slip!

I don't think I would do it. The wood will dry out and shrink after a few years (a few days if you live where I live) and the seams may crack and leak. I would go with the fiberglass option. The last thing you wank is a leak and then rotting floor under it!
BTW, I had an Inyati liner sprayed into my TV bed. These guys were pros. I would highly recomend them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the replies,

I wasn't aware that one could purchace a fiberglass unit from the factory. I will definately check into that.

Thanks again
David
dsakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Anyone tried the one coat, self-leveling polyeurathane to redo the sink and shower. I have the white coat but this stuff comes in colors and is intended for boat decks. I can't see why it wouldn't work since the discolored fiberglass would be under it. I wouldn't be tearing anything out. I'm looking at Epifanes One Part Mono Urethane or Toplac, out of the Jamestown Distributors catalog. Any suggestions?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sounds feasible. I know someone who had the deck of his riding lawnmower sprayed after he bought it to prevent rust and I have read of people spraying the floorboard of Jeep CJ5 and CJ7 vehicles. They also claim you can spray the floor of horse trailers. LineX seems to have a finer grain than Rhino Linings which looks more like cottage cheese.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
Really Cheap

Durabak,This is good stuff, it comes in bumpy and smooth. Many colors too
Heres the link
Old 10-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
St. Clair , Michigan
AZFLYCASTER, Do you or anyone know if one of those Fiberglass Showers would fit a 1960 Caravel , I have to go pick it up next week , and I'm going to reconfigure the interior and thought if I could fit one in I would.
Chris Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Boatdoc used lineX or one of those brands on his shower. I looked very nice and he claimed it was totally water proof. He is very knowledgeable in these things to say the least. His Argosy is actually one of the finest rigs I have ever seen. The shower was a boat type in that the pan had a sump and the sump had a pump. When you pumped from the sump, the camel got a hump. Sorry, I read Dr Suess to my youngest a lot. But there was a button on the wall in the shower activate the pump. It pumped into the grey tank and he also used the grey tank water to flush his head.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
<SNIP> The shower was a boat type in that the pan had a sump and the sump had a pump. When you pumped from the sump, the camel got a hump. ...there was a button on the wall in the shower activate the pump. It pumped into the grey tank and he also used the grey tank water to flush his head.<SNIP>
after a dump and used the water from the pump to move the water from the sump to get the dump over the hump-de-dump.

Sorry - could not resist.......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote