Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Spongy Bathroom Floor!

Hi -

This is my first post - I know this will sound awful, but I'm afraid to see what's under the bathroom floor/pan in my '72/'73 25' Tradewinds!

I've actually been living in it for more than a year and haven't been hooked up to water, since there's no place here to dump anyway. I have access to full bathrooms with showers just across the parking lot, so it hasn't been an issue. But I know that when I do occasionally step into the bathroom (it's the little capsule bath) it feels kind of spongy at the far back, right in front of the platform with the toilet. Is is possible that I'm stepping on a tank, or is it likely that the subfloor is shot? There's also a long crack in the plastic pan, and I have no idea if the previous owner used the shower and got water under there.

Should I buck up and pull up the shower pan?

Would love to hear advice - this is a worry in terms of resale value!

Thanks a million,

Paulette
(New Mexico)

Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Paulette welcome to the forums. If your floor feels spongy then definetely the floor has been damaged. You should remove the shower pan if it is cracked. Can you post pictures of the bathroom? Is your a/s a rear or center bath? I have a 1973 service manual and could post pictures of the parts pictoral and the tear down procedures. I will need to know which model bath you have to post the right pics.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
I think your bathroom looks like this. Am I right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Pictoral.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	108077  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi and welcome to airforums.com, Paulette!

If you want to know if your trailer is a '72 or a '73, post the VIN number (it should be on the plate just outside the main door).

We can tell you from that what Airstream thought it was.

Also, let's see some photos of it! We looooove photos of trailers and can never get enough.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Wow, you guys are great for answering right back! True enthusiasts...cool.

This is a rear bathroom, it doesn't have a separate shower pan, just the toilet on a platform to the right of the door, the sink at the back, and a little closet to the left, with a hand-held shower on a holder over the sink. The crack is where the floor curves up towards the toilet platform.

Somebody at a vintage camper rally recently showed me how to look at the tongue for the year - apparently the frame was made in 1971, the camper itself was put together in late 1972, and it was sold in 1973. I actually have a full manual myself for 1973, but I'm not sure if that's the right one given when it was made.

Here are pics of the bathroom and close up of the crack. I'm guessing if I want to take up the pan I'd need to also re-do the floor back there.

For the record, I have very little experience with any of this stuff but pride myself on learning how to do things, so I'd love to hear any advice you may have.

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	108091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	108092  

Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I guess the question on my mind is, given my inexperience, would I be better off just living with the sponginess? If I start tearing up the floor in back, will I just make things worse and then be unable to fix it and make the thing impossible to re-sell when I eventually move out? In other words, replacing parts of subfloor and things like that are pretty advanced, aren't they?
I await your wisdom. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
My instinct is that you might do better leaving this to someone else. You said you're not moving the trailer, so it's not as if the back will fall out and your worldly possessions will be scattered to the four winds...

Also, it's a hard thing to do when you're living there.

If you know you have a few weeks with somewhere else to stay, and if a local (to you) forum member offers help or guidance, then I'd do it... "If I were you."

IMVVVHO
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks, Dave - that makes alot of sense, particularly given that it looks like I'll be living here for another winter with my 3 cats (and 2 alpacas and 1 llama - they don't live inside, but I need to be onsite to take care of them). Maybe someday...
Old 08-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I've got the same trailer, mine is a 72 Tradewind with the same bath. It's called a "wetbath", a concept to me that begs for trouble as when the door is closed and curtain pulled the whole room becomes a shower room. Last week when we came back from the beach I noticed a small rock sized hole in the plastic pan in the corner near the toilet. dang!x$% The plastic pan in the bottom being 38 years old has gotten brittle as most of the plastic parts in these trailers. My floor is a little spongy but not too bad, but don't think my wife won't be taking no showers for some time. Maybe we'll be able to get some advice from those who've torn it all out. The toilet sits on the black tank and all that has to come out to get to the flooring below.