Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Ontario , Oregon
Smelly closet

I am getting a strong sewer smell emanating from my closet. We are boondocking with generator and air-conditioner running and it is pulling a sewer oder from the closet. I opened the hatch to see if there was any leakage, and there is a vent pipe from the shower directly under the closet floor. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Old 08-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Medical Lake , Washington
Check your vent lines and look for any duct tape, especially where a light switch is. On my 2004, 28' Classic they drilled a hole for the light switch for the shower and put a hole in the vent line in the closet, covered it with duct tape.

Discovered this when I modified the kitchen sink drain to go into the black water tank instead of grey water.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Make sure there is water in all the P-traps in your drains. I had a similar problem a couple of times until I figured out that the bath tub drain trap was dry (we don't use the shower in the trailer). I put a plug in the drain and have not had the problem again. Hopefully your problem will be simple as that to fix.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Ontario , Oregon
Smelly closet

Last week I opened the panel on the floor of the closet and removed the Anti-Siphon Trap Vent Device (ASTVD). I took it apart and put some non-stick silicone lube on the rubber gasket and reinstalled everything. We are a week into our latest excursion and everything is working well. When I get home I'm going to do the same thing to the ones under the kitchen and lav sink.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh4570 View Post
I am getting a strong sewer smell emanating from my closet. We are boondocking with generator and air-conditioner running and it is pulling a sewer oder from the closet. I opened the hatch to see if there was any leakage, and there is a vent pipe from the shower directly under the closet floor. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?
Sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, only last 2 to 3 years.

Remove one of the polished vent pipe covers and you will find the answer for the smell.

Andy
Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
On my 2015 27fb I have the same strong sewer smell in the closet. (no smell under the closet) This happens when we travel down the hwy with sewer in the tanks. It is especially bad when the fantastic fans covers are open for cabin ventilation in hot weather. The dealer has looked at it twice and still have the problem.... may have to make the 1000 mile trek to Jackson Center. I don't think its from the grey tank... thinking it from the black tank. Next test is to drain just the grey tank and tow to check for smell. Any ideas?
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBigDogs View Post
On my 2015 27fb I have the same strong sewer smell in the closet. (no smell under the closet) This happens when we travel down the hwy with sewer in the tanks. It is especially bad when the fantastic fans covers are open for cabin ventilation in hot weather. The dealer has looked at it twice and still have the problem.... may have to make the 1000 mile trek to Jackson Center. I don't think its from the grey tank... thinking it from the black tank. Next test is to drain just the grey tank and tow to check for smell. Any ideas?
Check the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets that are on the roof. They are underneath the vent pipe covers.

Andy