Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Sink...Repair or Replace??

OK Andy - you have indicated that we do not need to replace our bath sink because of the crack partway around the drain hole. I am glad to hear that as I would much rather use our funds for other areas, but we have tried caulk and have not had success - the water if held in the bowl for any length of time seems to find a way thru to the area below and ruin anything stored there. What material can be used to seal and still have it look nice? I don't want a big blob of goo around inside of bowl and I would want it to match color fairly well. Can that be done?

Next: I have 2 pics of the vent I spoke of. My hub says there are actually two similar vents - 1 for fridge and 1 for furnace toward the top of the trailer and angled slightly out. I want to post the pics to this thread, but have only done this in the past when taking pic from the members forumpic gallery and now that is out of wack. Anybody able to tell me how to post my 2 pics from the camera to here? THanks for the help. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:22 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Leigh,

At the bottom of the page where you create a post is a box to attach a file. If the pictures are 640X480 or less they will load right into the post.

Also based on your vent description I think you ar looking for a sewer pipe vent cover (smallone) and a refer vent cover as Chas said. FWIW the furnace vents thru the side wall right next to the furnace.

Here is a picture from my archives, just follow the browse button to where the file is located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raycrop.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2538  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Wow!!

Hey Brett - How did you get that Manta-ray on top of your AS? and is the browse button attached to it? Great pic!!

I will have to change the size of our pics from camera first, they are definitely bigger that 640x480. I just got use to the feature in Photogallery, so unsure about how to do it without. Gotta quick fix for me? Thanks, Leigh
Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Leigh!

If you can see a crack on your sink that is likely the problem, but if you can't; I believe that it may be a less involved repair. At the ages our coaches are getting to be, my thought is that the plumbers putty that seals around the drain flange may have dried out and failed creating a path for water - - espeically when water is held in the sink by plugging the drain. The fix is relatively easy - - removing the drain assembly (held by rather large fittings that often respond best to a moderately large adjustable wrench), then clean any old plumbers putty from both the sink surface and the fitting - - then take the fitting to a plumbing store and obtain replacement gaskets as necessary as well as some fresh plumbers putty. Reinstall the fitting with putty where it rests in the sink - - tighten very carefully just until a uniform bead of plumbers putty is pushed out around the fitting. (If you haven't guessed, I had this problem earlier this Spring.)

I can't guess what the second vent is unless it would be for the range exhaust (but it is a flat metal fitting on my coach and more on the side). I too believe that one of the vents would likely be for the refrigerator.

Good luck with solving your repair issues!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Leigh,

The Sting Ray is from a cruise. I happen to have pictures from at work. The total picture is 1200X980. I used the crop feature to get the size image I attached. This may work for you depending on the item in the image and how big it is. In the picture I cropped the Ray is less than 1/3 of the total image.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-04-2003, 02:14 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Kevin - It is definitely a crack in the sink itself, about 1/16 from the drain hole and about 1/2 way round it. We tried some caulk, but #1 it looks tacky in there and #2 it didn't do the job. Got any ideas about what would work and look good? Maybe Andy will return and give me a hint.

Hi Brett - Hope you didn't take my little tease about the ray the wrong way. At first, when I saw it I could not for the life of me figure out what kind of vent cover it was. My hub walked in and said "that's a Manta-ray", so my next thought was "Manta-ray on AS?????" Oh, well, just want to get my pics posted so I can get correct vent replacement, if possible. It sounds like your pics are already in your computer and you worked with them thru a paint program?? I wanted to try to take directly from camera and post to this thread, but guess I can't. I used the Photogallery to post my first pics and that's the only way I have ever done it, or been successful. Now that it is none functioning, I am at a loss. Leigh
Old 08-04-2003, 02:24 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Leigh,

I smiled, a ray on the roof would be smelly!

I am going to start a new thread on Pictures/cameras.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-04-2003, 07:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

If we knew the precise type of plastic or fiberglass our sinks were made of, it would probably be possible to get a repair kit that would work on small cracks (I found one in the side of the basin in my Minuet this afternoon) from a plumbing suppy outlet. I am inclined to make a temporary repair from behind with swimming pool liner patching tape, and have the bathroom refinisher who worked on my Overlander repair the sink and recoat it in its current color.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-05-2003, 10:40 AM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Kevin - Hey, I like the idea of the pool liner tape that solves the "no see" deal. Is it available at places like Wally world, or more specifically at pool dealers? Thanks for the tip!

Brett - That Ray might not be too smelly if you Plasticoat it!!!!! Where is the new thread on Pictures/camera - I am always on a quest to learn how in the heck to deal with all this new fangled techy stuff. We have the pics saved to our HP album, but as yet are unsure how to transfer here. I feel a headpain coming on.... Leigh

Andy - U out there fella?????
Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Leigh,

I don't think plasticoat will stick.

Here is the link to the how to on uploading pictures. Shari has already covered it in her posts, so I did not re-invent the wheel.

If you wish to get hold of Andy click here and you can send him a message directly.

Later!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-05-2003, 12:27 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

RE: Pool Liner Patching Tape

I found the tape at my local Super Wal Mart. The smaller Wal Mart near my Winter residence didn't stock pool supplies, but I believe that it would likely be available from any Wal Mart that stocks pool supplies; if not it is readily available (if a bit more expensive) from pool supply specialty stores - - in fact in several varieties based upon the display in the local pool supply window.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-05-2003, 12:55 PM   #12
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado

I am hoping that what I have just done will produce a way to see the picture of the vent stack I have been referring to above the furnace. It is on the door side toward the back and above where our kitchen sink and the furnace are.

Kevin - thanks for the tip - Price is on his way to our WalMart and will check. Leigh
Old 08-05-2003, 01:02 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

RE: Vent Opening

The opening in you photo is a vent opening for your kitchen sink drain. It likely needs to be resealed with vulkem. New replacement covers are available from Airstream dealers - - Ace Fogdall replaced the covers and resealed the openings on my coach when it was in for service last Fall.

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Kevin - thanks for the reply. One last ??? Is it suppose to look like that? It looks broken off to me, but both of ours are like that, with the screen right at the top and nothing covering it to keep out the rain, snow, etc. Leigh
Old 08-05-2003, 01:20 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

I don't have definitive evidence regarding whether the plumbing vents on the '78 Minuets actually ever had a cover. I will double check mine this afternoon - - I had several repairs all made at the same time so the vent caps on my invoice may be for something else rather than plumbing vent drain caps. I am in the process of getting the Minuet ready to depart for the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally in LaVeta, CO - - will be leaving early AM tomorrow.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-05-2003, 01:50 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Old Stomping Grounds

Alright Kevin!!! you are headed to some old stomping grounds for me and my childhood/fairly recent adulthood. My family use to own property outside of Cuchara and I use to have an icecream cone at least once a week when in LaVeta at the little grocery store there (they still serve). Wish we could also be there for the rally, but time is not right. Have you been in that part of Colorado before? It is truly beautiful!!!! Wondered if you ever made it over this direction. Any chance you might be going thru Denver coming/going? I would love to see your trailer with all the wonderful remodeling.

Thanks for all the help on our various ???? Leigh
Old 08-05-2003, 03:26 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Leigh,

Here are two pics of a standard aluminum sewer pipe vent cover. The one that was on your Argosy was made from ABS and has been destroyed by age and sun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p8050059.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2550  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-05-2003, 03:28 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Second Pic. 20 bucks used from Colaws, if they have them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p8050058.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2551  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49