Old 08-05-2002, 09:43 PM   #1

Sink and Shower restoration

I have recently aquired a 1984 International. The plastic shower stall and vanity are badly stained and generally discolored. I've tried numerous cleaning solutions and methods to no avail. Is there anything I can use to resurface this?

Old 08-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #2
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Bennie,

A friend once had a business where he 'refinished' bathroom fixtures. He mainly did porcelain, but I asked him if this refinishing would work on fiberglass and he replied that it would. The application he did was a lot like spray painting. He offered a 5 year guarantee on the work, so I assume it was durable. If you are interested in this type of refinishing your best bet would be to find someone in your area who refinishes clawfoot bathtubs or antique fixtures, I think. Good luck! Let's us know how it turns out!

Old 08-06-2002, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Plastic vs Fiberglass

Double check to confirm whether your enclosure is plastic vs fiberglass. Different techniques & products are used for each.

Shari
Old 08-06-2002, 09:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Dont forget abs

There is ABS plastic as well common in these years.

John
Old 08-18-2002, 07:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I was just going to ask this same question.

We have a '67 22' safari and have just today we removed all the plastic and fiberglass parts from the bath and I scrubbed them throughly.

I wanted to paint them with epoxy paint [boat deck]and I think that will work on the fiberglass shower but I'm not sure about that plastic stuff. It must be pretty good plastic to hold up this long but I really want to paint all this stuff. ...the color is awful. What kind of paint is best?

I planned to sand it well, patch the broken places with epoxy and vinyl backing. I have experience fixing dings in the sailboat we had for 17 years so I'm familiar with that.

Just for discoloration problems tho...I was able to get some spots out with grout cleaner ...but that's really strong stuff with hcl acid and you have to neutralize it real fast or it will soften the plastic. It sure got some spots clean!!! If I weren't going to paint it I would touch it up with that more.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally posted by Lexxy
What kind of paint is best?

Interlux Brightsides Polyurethane . Try West Marine.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Cleaning plastic

To clean stains from plastic storage containers a paste of baking soda and water is used and it is rubbed into the stain and rinsed with vinegar (optional) and washed normally with soap & water, I wonder if this would work on the interior plastic?

John
Old 08-18-2002, 11:55 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Talking Sink and Shower restoration

I just finished (today) repainting the bath of my 1974 Sovereign. I used the Interlux Brightsides Polyurethane and I am thrilled with the results. I used a roller and a brush and the paint finished out like glass. I just hope it wears as well as it went on.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I was planning to go to West's...that's where I used to get marine paint...but just to be clear...this WILL will paint the thin plastic flimy stuff in addition to the fiberglass tub? This plastic looks a lot slicker. I hope it doesn't flake off. I will sand and give it some tooth first....and use 333 too. That should melt it down a little....so it will take the coating. Those marine solvents are strong stuff....I still use them to clean pool furniture spots!

[up at 5am with asthma from trailer dust...hack...enuf whining]
Old 08-19-2002, 08:13 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Talking Sink and Shower restoration

I think this paint would cover the plastic parts with the proper prep work. (sanding and solvent wipe down). I would suggest getting a Tack cloth also. The guy at my West Marine suggested it and it works great at getting sanding dust you might have missed. The Interlux folks have a web-site that goes into detail how to use the polyurethane. I found it most helpful. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-05-2002, 12:02 AM   #11
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Lightbulb Fiberglas Re-Painting??

As my son says, whenever you're thinking of doing something to wood or to fiberglas..go to the original people who have all the proper concepts of these applications DOWN! Marine and Aviation! Period. Like West Marine, or Boeing...I have a friend who paints the 747-757-767s ...and I'll ask him.

But, I would think that it's a MUST that you sand ...and I'd use a 'wetsand' paper, and first coat with a Zinzzer Basepaint... and use the strongest one they sell...and most assuredly an OILBASED one...then SAND again..and lastly the final should be darn near POURED on ... or SPRAYED on many coats (sanded between of course), with AGAIN "OIL-BASED"...
but all of this is moot without the advise of Aviation or Marine experts.
...........I'll get back with you after I talk to my Boeing painter.
.....Cat
Old 10-05-2002, 12:06 AM   #12
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Cleaning Plastic

Again...on the cleaning, your compound sounds gentle and good, but I'd apply it with lots of elbow grease with 'wet-sandpaper'..
.......Cat
Old 10-06-2002, 01:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sink and Shower Restoration

Earlier today I got my first look at the nearly completed reglazing of my 1964 Overlander's bathroom fixtures. The fixtures had originally been avacado green, and were faded as well as stained. I contacted a number of local bathroom refinishers. Some would not consider working on a travel trailer, but I did finally find two who would consider the job. After checking references and seeing examples of their household work, I chose the one who happened to be most convenient to my home.

When I saw the trailer today, the faucet sets and all similar equipment reamained to be installed but the actual reglazing was complete. The fixtures now have a mirror gloss finish in a much more pleasing (IMHO) light silver. In addition, the Aqua-Magic IV toilet was also refinished to match the sink/tub/shower unit. I can't hardly believe the fantastic results, and the work is warranted for five years.

The refinisher that I selected was very happy to be able to have the trailer at his workshop so that he could work on it at his leisure. He has had the trailer a week and expects to have the final detailing completed so that I will be able to pickup the trailer tomorrow.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:23 AM   #14
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
ReGlazing

Kevin,,,
very professional...pix will be good when you have them. Your man ... did the work without removing the 'pieces'? What exactly is 'Glazing'....

I know that appliance refinishing is called "electrostatic" refinishing... but that's not the vinyl vanity or tub base... can you tell us what was done exactly? I actually do not like the almond colour mine are...but some areas I've been able to do what I described above (like the molding next to the toilet...UNDER the vanity top.

I'm definitely leaving the shower seat/foot area alone, it won't matter anyway, the shower is dark and it fits into the scheme quite well actually.

Thank you for this post...looking forward to seeing it SHINE.