Old 10-06-2002, 10:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sink and Shower Restoration/Reglazing

The product used by the refinisher that I chose is a proprietary two-part epoxy product that is essentially a high-tech paint finish. My understanding of the process is as follows:

1.) all fixtures or components not to be coated/glazed are first removed from the tub/wash basin.

2.) a thorough cleaning is done to remove all dirt, oils, waxes, etc.

3.) sanding is done to even the surface and brake the exisiting glaze/finish for better adhesion.

4.) imperfections are repaired with the appropriate patching materials for the surface - - plastic - - fiberglass - - or porcelain.

5.) a coat of primer material is then sprayed follwed by light sanding with additional repairs being made if a flaw shows through the primer.

6.) the final finish coat is the sprayed and allowed to cure 48 hours.

7.) following the curing period, the surface is examined for imperfections and any problem areas are reprocessed.

8.) once the finish meets quality control expectations, the fittings are reinstalled and the fixtures will again be ready for use in 96 hours after the final finish coatings were applied.

I will be posting a website within the next few weeks chronicling the restoration work on this coach from the past 18 months. There will be before and after pictures of both the interior restoration/refurbishing as well as the exterior polishing and detailing.

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 08:57 PM   #16
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Refinishing bath fiberglass

thank you....good run-down...look forward to the website...sounds very pro...
...appreciate your taking the time..

Old 10-07-2002, 12:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Overlander64 and anyone...

Help...I'm getting ready to do all this...have removed all plastic and fiberglass parts and scrubbed them... I have a question or two, please...

"5.) a coat of primer material is then sprayed"
What kind of primer specifically....?

Is the plastic treated pretty much the same as the fiberglass in sanding and painting? And the rough textured areas turn out OK when painted too?

Do you think it's ok to spray outside...I just don't have the room to set up indoors to spray. ...or is the dust factor too risky?

What do you clean up epoxy paint with in a sprayer?

You can mix these in colors, right?

I am thinking of casting my own sink since I can't get the sink fixtures off the darn sink after soaking for a month in liquid wrench! Tho I might run it over to a neighbor who is a plumber as a last resort. This plastic sink is so thin. I was thinking of reinforcing it with "greatstuff" anyway to make it stiffer.

I'm a potter and I figure if I can make bowls I can do fiberglass if I can make a mold...I found good directions in a recent Cruising World magazine on how to do it. I used to patch fiberglass boat bottoms.

Thanks for any help....just waiting for the weather to cool off here!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:27 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Sink and Shower restoration

Greetings Lexxy!

I may not be much help, but this is what I can relate:

The primers, sealers, and two-part epoxy finish are all proprietary products available only to factory trained installers. I do know that the primer as well as the epoxy finish are different formulas for fiberglass and plastic - - but are available in identical colors. The product that was used by my refinisher was available in approximately 50 standard colors and could be color matched to existing finishes for an additional charge.

I know that there are multiple products for plastic surfaces as the one used for the sink surface was different from that used on the Thetford Aqua Magic IV toilet. In fact, my refinisher hadn't anticipated the exact topcoat needed for the project and the Aqua Magic IV is awaiting its final color top coat.

(I will check the documentation that came with the completion of the project and see if I can get more information on the manufacturer and name of the product)

There eveidently isn't a great problem with spraying this material on-site. My refinisher did all of the work in his driveway beside his shop building. The rear windo was opened and an exhuast fan was placed in front of it to draw the fumes out of the trailer. The trailer was basically open to the elements with the woodwork and walls of the bathroom being masked off to prevent overspray.

I am afraid that I can't offere any suggestions regarding the stuck fixture. I am all thumbs when it comes to plumbing and electric so I trust those jobs to experienced repair persons.

Good luck with your project!
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 10-08-2002, 10:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
For light stains, I used 400 then 600 grit wet/dry to remove stains on my 76 sink. Worked better than any solution known to me at the time and it did not hurt the gel coat at all. After all, what's to hurt, it is solid through and you are simply removing a layer or two. I first tried all of the secret potions I could find but they all failed the test. Good luck.
Randy
Old 10-09-2002, 06:50 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
$ for restoration

Kevin, it sounds as if you're going to be quite pleased with the work done on your bathroom fixtures. Would you be willing to share with us an approximate cost for all that work? Thanks
Brouck Sleight
Old 10-09-2002, 07:43 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Cool Sink and Shower restoration

Greetings Brouck!

The cost for this process was actually quite reasonable. My refinisher's entire charge for the complete job was $395.00. I had two other bids of $595.00 and $795.00. The refinisher who bid $795.00 didn't seem to really want the job. My refinisher as well as the one who bid $595.00 reduced their charges because I was willing to transport my coach to their shops - - this allowed them to avoid the necessity to transport their equipment to my site and allowed them immediate access to all of thier equipment, materials and supplies.
AIR #827
Old 10-09-2002, 12:45 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
overlanders primer

so I guess I'm not picking this primer up at Walmart?

Didn't think so.

I guess I will do the best I can with what ever I can get at West marine...do you think that will work or is there any other source like an auto body finish place that I might get the right kind of finishing products.

When I looked up the kind of plastic that the bath fixture stuff is made of [mfp or something like that] and how to paint it, I found that race car bodies are also made from them and some auto shops have paints that will paint that kind of plastic.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:11 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Sink and Shower restoration

My plans to post a web site hit a slight snag and it will likely be at least three weeks before I get the job done so I posted a few of my photos at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com

There are several of the bathroom restoration/refinishing as well as a few exterior before and after shots as well. The search string: "1964 Overlander" should bring up the photos that I have posted at the above site. The photo below is one of the "after" of the bathroom refinish:

This is a similar view before restoration/refinishing:

AIR #827
Old 10-11-2002, 07:51 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
wow

that looks terrific...I think I may work on mine this weekend if I get up the nerve. It's scary since these are the only items that can't be replaced and would be a pain to build in. I will try to redo the sink before making a fiberglass one from scratch but I would like to try just to see if I could.

We have a covered area by the pool that I will hang a sheet of plastic on for spraying that will work for a studio...it will keep falling leaves off the items anyway.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:31 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Thank you everyone for your experience! I just bought my airstream and planned on tackling the sink and tub this weekend. I talked to a Sherwin Williams paint rep. who also suggested the 2-part epoxy. I ordered a quart from them on Monday and it is suppose to be delivered today (Friday). The cost is going to be around $25 for the quart.

I have worked with 2-part epoxy in the past painting pool floors. In my experience you throw all your brushes and rollers away after using them in 2-part epoxy. That stuff is VERY hard to clean up. You even want to wear rubber gloves when painting. Xylene cleans it up fairly well, but it really takes a LOT of scrubbing to get it off once it dries partially.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:05 AM   #26
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
2-part epoxy

and not Latex gloves!
The BEST gloves---and I've tried ALL kinds believe me!---the BEST ones are BLUE...are rubberized on the entire hand.

I found them at Home Depot or Lowe's. They have a 'long hand' and an natural coloured knit cuff and the wrist.
But, these are THICK and yet fit well so you can still pick up a thin object...and I use them for electrical, paint remover, anything very caustic. 2 part epoxy would be a 'for sure' reason to wear them.

On this Thread, I think the person who said that about removing a layer or two with wet/dry sandpaper and lots of elbow grease was the best ---KISS---advise on this thread. Just water and that sandpaper. You can try it on an obscure area and see how clean and shiney it comes out.
.......Cat
Old 10-20-2002, 03:10 AM   #27
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
KISS

Not a Kiss (smack)..
Keep It Simple Stupid......
Old 10-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Here it is.......

I finished my tub and sink! I am going to try to load a before and after picture.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rebathroom.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	715