Old 07-05-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Seattle , USA
Angry SHUB Shower Door FELL OFF...

Hi everybody.

We keep our trailer in an enclosed storage and it gets pretty hot in there. We checked on our trailer today in anticipation of a trip in about a month.

Come to find out the SHUB shower door fell off while the trailer has been sitting locked up in storage. Just fell right the hell off.

The part that fell off the wall is the main section where the shower curtain rolls up into the housing.

The amazing part is that it looks like NOTHING BUT A 3/16 BEAD OF CAULK was holding the entire SHUB main section to the wall. Nothing else. I've read on this forum that some people had their SHUB fall off due to failure of double sided tape. Well, mine has no double sided tape anywhere that I can see. None. None whatsoever, and no residue of there ever being any installed.

There isn't anything between the main body of the SHUB and the wall; only the remnants of a super thin caulk seal that has turned into a sticky gooey slightly clumpy residue. And, that caulk was only applied to the seam between the edge of the SHUB and the wall once the SHUB was put into's not like as if the caulk was used as an adhesive between the wall and the SHUB; there's just not enough of it there and it's not in the right place for such an application; the caulk was clearly used as just the seal between the wall and the edge of the SHUB. Somehow it held the entire SHUB main section place for a few years...

Has anyone else had this happen? What is the PROPER way to affix the SHUB to the wall so this doesn't happen again???

RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master
The Shub shower screen official installation instructions are here:

I would clean up both mating surfaces, and then apply double sided tape to the whole length of the "aluminium canister", and fix this to the wall after using a spirit level to mark vertical pencil lines on the wall. (Of course, first level the trailer floor both fore and aft and athwartships - that's across, for landlubbers!)
I would then apply a bead of clear polyurethane adhesive caulk to both sides of the wall/canister joint over the whole height. (Masking tape is useful here if you're not skilled with a caulk gun. I would use something like this: BASF NP1 Polyurethane Sealant Sonolastic Caulk | eBay

Whatever you use, just check that it is compatible with both surfaces.
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote