Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Excelsior , Minnesota
Showers?

Hi,

I was at Home Depot and noticed they had small showers that were available with curved front. Don't know if panels were glass or a sturdy plastic type composite but was wondering if this would work in my 59 airstream since I am going to need a shower. Anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the forums!

I have seen similar showers at Home Depot...I guess whether it would work or not would depend on how & where you intend to install it. My first thought is the raduis of the ceilling/walls may not allow it to work. It may be too tall or need to be held out from the walls to fit...but I guess it depends on it you are trying to fit it in a corner or in the center portion of your trailer. Also, the walls of your trailer are tapered which would have to be taken into account - the fiberglass (acrylic?) panels that make up the walls of the shower are straight.

Or are you wanting to tuck just the pan in the rounded corner? That may work, but the raduis would have to be confirmed. I would also only consider an acrylic-type door, not glass. To much flexing in a vintage Airstream IMO.

Any additional info or pics you can share can help us understand what you are thinking...somes interesting and worth exploring ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Excelsior , Minnesota
Red face showers and electric

Hi

Thanks for getting back on the Home depot shower. I may just purchase one and see how it fits, if its returnable its problably worth playing around with. I'm going with a composting toilet so if you have a recommendation that would be great. Also need to do electric. Does anyone out there have a layout I could ask an electrician to follow. I want to be able to go solar and wind when possible so I need to address that and I'm clueless. Up till now I thought it was all magic but I need to get informed!

On the shower since my walls seem to go fairly straight down since its a 59 I was thinking if it wasn't to tall I might be able to snug it up agianst the bath wall with opening facing the sink area over the back window. I'll have to make certain the panels are not glass because that would be a drag. I'll post photos when I get a file put together. Its been a real project so far and I've done it all myself except for my Dad helping me get an end cap out after it almost fell on my head. My Mom was also helpful in rolling the entire top aluminum panel up with bungie cords so we could get it out after I had disconnected it. For the most part people think I'm nuts but I'm really having fun and once I understand the electrical, plumbing and heating I'll feel better. This forum has been a life saver!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Uhhh...check again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59as
On the shower since my walls seem to go fairly straight down since its a 59 I was thinking if it wasn't to tall I might be able to snug it up agianst the bath wall with opening facing the sink area over the back window.
I doubt there are any "straight walls" along the exterior of a vintage Airstream ~ they may look like it, unitl you put something that is straight up to them.

Buying it to test sounds like a good plan ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote