Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Shower walls (probably beat to death....)

So I was trying to find some threads on shower wall options. We are redoing our 57 18 footer, and it originally had a corner shower. None of the parts came with it though. I have framed out the new corner shower (and made it a bit bigger. I am just wondering hat the options are for shower wall material. It is curved as it is the corner of the endcap. That is problematic. Obviously aluminum is going to be a paint o form that way. Are there any flexible options? I know they make plastic panels that are very malleable, but don't want the stark white option. Are there any thick waterproof zolatone style paints that would work? I could always try to get aluminum to work, but it is not going to be easy (or cheap). Any and all thoghts are appreciated. Here are a few pics fr reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_074209.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	354334   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191012_144000.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	354335  

badpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Fiberglas is what Airstream used in my '66 Safari.

I've read of people building a mold out of foam blocks, then using something like MEK to dissolve the foam once the layup is done and the resin has cured. It would be a lot of work for a one-off product, so please research this idea carefully. I've never done it myself.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpaddler View Post
Are there any thick waterproof zolatone style paints that would work?
Yes! Zolatone (20 Series) is exactly what you are looking for.

Unlike modern or 60's trailers which had/have the plastic or fiberglass surrounds, our '56 Safari has a corner shower made with two different wall finishes originally.
  1. the curved aluminum exterior walls were painted with the epoxy formula Zolatone (20 Series)
  2. the straight interior walls were the birch wood panels with aluminum sheets over top
  3. the shower pan was also aluminum
When we re-did our shower during our restoration, we matched the intent of what was there originally - but we did change it up a little bit.

The original was aluminum panels and aluminum shower pan but they were beyond repair, needed to be modified with the added black tank. We didn't like the look of the aluminum panels because it oxidizes, scratches & dents too easily for use in the shower. So we used stainless steel over the wood instead of aluminum and a stainless steel pan. Otherwise it "matches" the original design...just improved IMO.

Here's some pictures:

Shower Pan - Before & After (showing added black water tank "step")
Shower Walls - Zolatone/Stainless Steel

Hope this helps....

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We have completed our flip up sink and about to start the shower. Haven’t got the pan figured out yet, but I think we’ll use the Ames Paint & Prime. It can be tinted. They state it is an all in one primer and topcoat. Scrubbable, elastomeric, waterproofs, and inhibits mildew. I may have seen this on the Forums or discussed with someone at Pismo. At any rate, l will test first and run the sample through the trenches. Good luck whatever you use and let us know.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Unlike modern or 60's trailers which had/have the plastic or fiberglass surrounds, our '56 Safari has a corner shower made with two different wall finishes originally.
  1. the curved aluminum exterior walls were painted with the epoxy formula Zolatone (20 Series)
  2. the straight interior walls were the birch wood panels with aluminum sheets over top
When we re-did our shower during our restoration, we matched the intent of what was there originally - but we did change it up a little bit.

The original was aluminum panels and aluminum shower pan but they were beyond repair, needed to be modified with the added black tank. We didn't like the look of the aluminum panels because it oxidizes, scratches & dents too easily for use in the shower. So we used stainless steel over the wood instead of aluminum and a stainless steel pan. Otherwise it "matches" the original design...just improved IMO.

Here's some pictures:

Hope this helps....

Shari

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I was considering aluminum pan with a teak or cypress board slat bottom, and stainless walls. Just gotta find someone to do the pan for me now. We have one guy in town that does custom sheet metal work, and he is proud of his work. Now to see if I can get that zolatone up here.

Thanks,

Seth
Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Here's some pictures:

Hope this helps....

Shari

Did you have to spray the Zolatone? What thickness did you use for the Sheet metal on the walls and floor?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpaddler View Post
Did you have to spray the Zolatone? What thickness did you use for the Sheet metal on the walls and floor?
Yes, the Zolatone has to be sprayed, but it's not that hard to do - just takes a a couple of special tools. I talk about it here in my "It's A Girl!!!" thread.

I don't recall the exact thickness of the stainless steel pan/tank surround (it was 10+ years ago), but I'm thinking it was 16 or 18 gauge. At the time, I noted that the wall panels are 24 gauge.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote