Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

2007 25' International CCD FB
Carlsbad , California
Shower to Gray tank leak outside

Good Morning All, I am a new Airstream owner of about 1 1/2 years now. We have a 2007 25fb. the Trailer is in great shape and everything works perfectly until last Thursday. I was taking a shower and afterwards realized that pretty much all the water from my shower was on the ground outside under the Gray tank. After it stopped leaking I filled both the galley sink and bathroom sink and then drained them with no leaking. Then had the wife turn on the shower while I was outside and right away saw the leak coming from the top of the tank. I'm thinking it must be a fitting or something that connects the shower drain to the Gray tank. I'm not sure how to access the area to see what's what. Any Thoughts? Thanks so much for any information!
harrelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Sedona , Arizona
Shower to Graywater Tank Outside Leak in 16' Sport

I seem to have the same problem in my 2012 16' Bambi Sport. I dropped the belly pan thinking I would get access to the area under the shower pan but all this did was expose the wastewater tank. Seems to be difficult accessing the area where we both seem to have the leak. If you have figured it out, let me know, If not, I have an e-mail to Airstream customer support hoping they can point the way forward.

Tom, 2012 16' Bambi Sport
debrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
It could be the shower drain fitting below. OR it could be a leak in the fittings in the valve or wand attachment points that is leaking down inside the wall and out the belly pan. To test, pour a bucket of water in the shower, if it leaks, it's a drain issue. If it doesn't, likely an issue with the control valve.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
And, yes, that will be a complete pain to get to likely needing a lift or some other way to elevate the trailer. I suspect you’d have to pull the grey tank. Not sure I’d try to do it myself. On my 2018 that tank is inside a metal protective box that’s not much fun to get off just by itself.

Maybe for the rest of the trip capture the shower water in a big wash pan until you can get to a dealer?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Sedona , Arizona
Hi Dale, This is Tom writing you back with the 2012 16' Sport. It wasn't too bad removing the wastewater protective box when I realized that I had to unscrew one end of the box to remove the side in which the wastewater drain penetrates the box. That said, this metal protective box is a real POS! I can think of many other ways they could have done it but this is one of the places where corners were cut. I did confirm that the leak in the shower drain line but getting to it probably requires cutting an access panel in the belly skin. I'll post my progress in getting this worked out. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrunyon View Post
Hi Dale, This is Tom writing you back with the 2012 16' Sport. It wasn't too bad removing the wastewater protective box when I realized that I had to unscrew one end of the box to remove the side in which the wastewater drain penetrates the box. That said, this metal protective box is a real POS! I can think of many other ways they could have done it but this is one of the places where corners were cut. I did confirm that the leak in the shower drain line but getting to it probably requires cutting an access panel in the belly skin. I'll post my progress in getting this worked out. Thanks!
Now that’s courage!

When my FC25 sprung a leak in the black tank drain the dealer techs tried pulling the metal box box but they, too, gave up and just cut an access hatch and installed a lid. They fix was easy, the time came in getting to the area to fix. Thankfully it was under warranty. They said Airstream should have included a lot more of these hatches than they did around the trailer.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Sedona , Arizona
Amen, brother! If you might need access to an area, you ought not to have to cut your own hole! Thanks!