Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Shower spray head ??

I have, what I believe is, the original shower spray wand that came with the Airstream in 2001. It has a chrome finish with a push on, push off button just below the spray head. It hangs on a plastic fixture attached to the wall and is adjustable around a screw to tighten it. It flops around and I'm afraid if I tighten it any more it will strip out. Is there a better replacement shower head that will use the original hanger. I hate to remove it and drill any more holes in the shower enclosure. SOOoooooo, I'm hoping some of you Airstreamers out there have replaced yours and will share your experience. Overall I'm satisfied with the performance of the shower spray but I'm being cautious and expect to break it if I attempt to make it any tighter.

Appreciate the help. Thanks all
See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Oxygenics makes a great, low water volume shower head. It mixes air with the water and feels like a full flow shower. Attaches right to the existing hose and hangs on the existing hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
I second the Oxygenics. I am on my third Airstream and installed all three with Oxygenics.
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A lot of people have switched to the "Oxygenics" showerhead, which is low flow and provides a relatively strong spray. See thread on this topic, below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...cs-103226.html

Links to examples of the Oxygenics showerhead:

Chrome: Body Spa RV Shower Kit - Chrome - Oxygenics 26181 - Shower - Camping World

White: Body Spa RV Shower Kit - White - Oxygenics 26781 - Shower - Camping World

Note: I have no affiliation with Oxygenics or Camping World other than being a satisfied customer. Above links are provided for reference purposes only.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Oxygenics makes a great, low water volume shower head. It mixes air with the water and feels like a full flow shower. Attaches right to the existing hose and hangs on the existing hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Mine didn't fit on the original hanger. I left the original hanger for my back scrubber and put up a second one for the Oxygenics.

Paula
Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK, I'm sold. I think I'll get one but in order to make use of the original pin type hanger I'll be back to the original problem 'cause that's where the problem lies. I guess I'll just install the hanger that comes with the Oxygenics one. I does seem to be a good one.

Thanks all.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
OK, I'm sold. I think I'll get one but in order to make use of the original pin type hanger I'll be back to the original problem 'cause that's where the problem lies. I guess I'll just install the hanger that comes with the Oxygenics one. I does seem to be a good one.

Thanks all.
Roger, if your hanger is like mine, you can just remove it an the Oxygenics hanger base will completely cover the old holes. You will have to drill two new ones unless you use the provided sticky back. I just added a couple dabs of sealant to the old holes and the new holes before screwing the new, genuine chrome-plated plastic hanger to the shower stall.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Steve. I ordered the new one and will do just as you advised when it comes.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
shower head

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I have, what I believe is, the original shower spray wand that came with the Airstream in 2001. It has a chrome finish with a push on, push off button just below the spray head. It hangs on a plastic fixture attached to the wall and is adjustable around a screw to tighten it. It flops around and I'm afraid if I tighten it any more it will strip out.

Appreciate the help. Thanks all
See ya on the road sometime.

I believe I have the same type of shower head in my 2004 classic. I used a little bit of heavy duty plastic glue and tightened the wing screw in place. It's been ok like that for about 5 years. I bought another shower holder that I placed higher up, since I am taller than my wife. I use the "high" setting and she uses the "low" setting. Been working well for us. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey there neighbor. Glad to see there are some other AS'ers in the area. Don't see too many in my travels near home. Really don't see too many on the road either. However, a few weeks ago I saw 3 in one day in Ontario, Canada. 2 trailers and one Interstate. So we are around.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
For those who don't want to change the shower head, the piece that joins it to the hanger on the wall is readily available and is quite cheap. An example is here: Delta Faucet U4002-PK Universal Showering Components Pin Mount Swivel Connector for Handshower, Chrome - Single Handle Shower Only Faucets - Amazon.com .

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I agree with Oxygenics!!! Great product and makes showering with limited water much more enjoyable!!
With that being said get some CLR and put the Shower Head in it for a few minutes, rinse it and give 'er a try! We carry CLR, it does make buying new items very limited...dissolves calcium deposits!!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK, today was the day. Why is it that what should be a very simple job turns south when I do it. My new oxygenics shower head came and I go to install it this afternoon. Pretty straightforward you would think. I mount the hanger and it flops around. I'm scratching my head and call their help line. Well, they tell me a washer should be in the ball socket and they will send me one. That was nice of them. Then a few minutes later I find the washer, now that I knew what I was looking for. It had fallen out in the back of the car. So that rectified easily. I put some water in the tank to try it out and I can't get the fittings to seal at the ends of the hose. Both of them are leaking. When I hand tighten the hose ends to the faucet and the head end neither of them tightens up to seal the flow. So here I scratch my head and put the hose from the old unit on and all's nice and tight. Anyone got any ideas ????

I don't mind a difficult job being difficult but why does a simple one need to be ?????

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Did you use some teflon tape on the threads when you put the new hose on? Or perhaps the new hose is missing some vinyl washers?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Teflon tape is not effective for most hand-shower hoses. Flat washers of some sort usually work. If you can't find the missing ones in the back of the car , take the hose to a hardware store and they can probably sell you a couple of washers which will work.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There is a black washer fixed to each end of the hose. It feels as if that is not enough. When I tighten the chrome threaded end the hose still has some play in it. On the old hose the threaded ends pull in tight and the single washer does it's job. On the new one it doesn't pull in tight when I thread it tight. I'm gonna try a double washer to see if that will seal things up.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Tim A, Thanks for the tip. I placed an order for it. I never did find that part and it is for that is why I "fixed' the problem with glue. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hummmmm. Maybe it's a New Jersey thing ????

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Did you use some teflon tape on the threads when you put the new hose on? Or perhaps the new hose is missing some vinyl washers?
No Tape, doesn't work and just looks bad. There should be some washers if not head over to a hardware store and get a couple (1 for each end).
By the way, next time we head for Morro Dunes I'll try to give you a message. (we take our Newell MH)
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK, Job done. I don't know why but there were 2 loose washers included in the packaging. They are the same size as the washers attached to each end of the flex-hose. I had dropped one so when I installed this I only had one and thought that it was just a misc. washer with no purpose. When I found the 2nd one the Ahhhh light went on. I put one of these washers ( making each end a double washer) at the end and things tightened down nicely and are leak tight. I'm not sure that this was the intention since the instructions do not address this but it worked for me. In the meantime I ordered the piece to put the old shower head back into service if needed.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18