Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Shower Pan Removal

I'm trying to remove the shower pan in my '62 Tradewind. The aluminum trim around the tub edge is firmly attached to the wall. I'm hoping to avoid damaging the tub, trim, or wall. Judging by the trim along the bulkhead wall that I have removed, it looks like the trim must be placed on the tub edge before it is installed, and therefore not riveted to the wall. Does anyone know if they glue the trim to the wall, or is it attached in some other manner? I've read some other threads that discuss the pan being glued to the floor. I don't thing that is the case here as there does seem to be some movement at the bottom of the pan.

I thought I should ask some of your thoughts before I start applying more force.

Thanks Much,
Brent
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Another shot at getting this tub out

I had pretty much given up on getting the tub out, but I figured I'd try one more time. I want to get it out so that I can install new flooring throughout the trailer. The tub is loose except for the aluminum strip along the wall. It seems as if the strip must be riveted to the wall. However there is no way it could have been riveted with the tub in place.

So, I've developed a theory and I was hoping some of you could confirm or disprove it. There is some 3/8" thick cedar shakes underneath the tub. So I'm thinking they put the strip on the wall a little higher than the edge of the tub, then they placed the tub in place and lifted the tub lip under the strip, and pushed the cedar shake underneath to hold it in place.

I've tried pulling the shakes out, but it seems like I'll probably have to destroy them to get them out.

Alternately, I'm wondering if the shakes could just be there to provide slope to the tub for drainage purposes. If that's the case, I'm officially befuddled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-13-12 139.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	160946   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-13-12 140.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	160947  

Name:	6-13-12 143.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	160948  
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
Sorry, but I'm not much help. I've got a leaky shower pan on my '61 Bambi so I'll be tackling it this winter. I'm hoping you get yours figured out so I can learn from you! :-)
ragin-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, that tub was a bear to get out. We didn't care about keeping the strip intact so we took a pry bar to the strip and found that there were pop rivets holding the tub to the wall or the strip was pop riveted to the wall and the edge of the tub slid underneath the lip of the metal strip. (It's been a few months). If you wind up destroying your tub, you are more than welcome to come get ours!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Thanks for the replys. I gave up on that idea. It was just too risky. I layed new sheet flooring in the trailer and thought it would be nice to put it under the tub, but it wasn't worth breaking the fiberglass. I'm going to refinish the tub, and it would have been nice to do that in the garage, but I'll do it in place instead. That will be hard on my knees, but it'll give me something good to complain about for a couple of days.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
I went back and looked at ours again and the rivets go through the tub and are covered by the metal strip, which was mangled in the process of prying it up to get to the rivets. I hope your tub refurb goes well!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeway , Texas
No advice, but good luck... This is in our future as well.

www.AnOldAirstream.blogspot.com
Jesann21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
I got my pan out and found out that my leak was just from the drain gasket--or lack if gasket, actually. Someone had been in there before I got him, so they'd drilled out all but 4 rivets on the wall. The rest of the tub was held with screws. The pan has quite a few surface cracks, so I'm going to fill them with a 2-part epoxy and then use the epoxy paint to give it a fresh look.

By the way, I really enjoy the sense of community on these forums!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
Here's the finished product! I reinstalled it this morning!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-431040882.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	169156