Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Clemente , California
Shower drain gunk

I bought a 2011 25' a few months ago which was in great condition. I noticed the shower drain was slow, but until today, it was not a problem. After returning from a trip I noticed some brown grit in the bottom of the shower stall, and the drain was completely clogged. When I used a plunger to try to free it, it pulled at
1/2 a cup of brown grit that looked like coffee grounds into the bottom of the shower. I'm not sure if it is rust, but it has the hardness of rock, almost like lava rock with partical size like sand.

Again, I'm concerned because of the large quantity of this stuff that I pulled up. I'm not familiar with the plumbing yet, but I assume the shower drains directly into the grey water tank. If so, what could this be, and do I have reasons to be worried?

Thanks for your help.
Ktholin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Sounds like some one dumped their espresso grounds down you shower drain. Or they floated up? Never heard of the black tank and shower being connected. Ever over flow your grey tank? I have, or I should say the kids have..
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
One thing I might add: we were dry camping this week and the grey water tank got pretty full (close to max). I assume the shower drain might be the low point in the system. Could this have caused the clog? But the question still remains, where is this gunk coming from???
Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Not coffee grounds but they looked exactly like that. I tested it by gently biting on them! Hard as gravel!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
My vote is junk from the grey tank floated up. Sinks and shower go to grey . All kinds of food stuff..
Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Maybe nothing to worry about. I was concerned some plumbing component might be disintegrating.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
People dump all kinds of stuff in the shower drain. They could have washed heavily soiled clothes or even shoes in there with the grit going down the drain. A good flushing if the gray tank would help. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Jim. Thanks. I think you are right. Probably from the previous owner. Letting the gray tank get full this week probably pushed this crud up the shower drain (which was clogging up already). Hopefully now that the drain is clear us won't see it again.
Keith